Thread: So Now That Rumsfeld Is Gone -List The Democrat Gripes With The Job He Did in Detail

So Now That Rumsfeld Is Gone -List The Democrat Gripes With The Job He Did in Detail

Question Details: I understand that many including myself are disappointed with the way the war is going with no end in sight. But, aside from the fact that going to IRAQ was arguably a mistake to begin with can someone tell me what Rumsfeld did or didnt do that warranted his dismisal/resignation? If you tell me about the uparmor of the Humvees again I'll puke. No one, not even Speaker Pelosi forsaw the IED problem. The fact that our vehicles were not armored to handle a blast is ridiculous. The question of acceptable losses is something all military commanders grapple with. Did we expect or are we demanding that we suffer no losses in future conflict or else?

So again, lets hear he list of complaints because I'll bet there will be a lack of complaints specfic to the way rummy interpreted Bushs Iraq policy.

They made a decision to disarm the Iraqi army without a plan in place to put the necessary number of troops on the ground to fill the void.

The reconstruction effort on top of that was and continues to be a joke.

i'm not very well read but obviously a lot of finger pointing goes on when things don't go well.

his boots on the ground policy differs from what some of his generals felt was needed.

there doesn't appear to have been a good exit strategy & post war cleanup in general.

I kinda think his biggest problem was entering into an unwinnable situation in the 1st place but thats just me.

I find the timing impeccably poor on Bush's part though. Not saying he shoulda agreed during abu dhabi but geez. the morning after an election?

The problem was they had no plan in the first place. It was like Herman Edwards was running the war room! You just dont do that to our soldiers!

Hall Of Fame
    Here is my very simplistic observation. First, I still support attacking Iraq and overthrowing Saddam's regime (whether he ever actually had WMD or not). I don't understand how so many have a problem with that aspect of the war (especially those in Congress who voted for it initially and now think it was such a mistake).

But, obviously, the real problem has been the strategy since the overthrow of Saddam. I think Rummey is basically a good man with lots of experience. The problem is, Iraq is an incredibly complicated situation with the different sects and all of the outside influences. Standard tactical military operations and goodwill missions to help the Iraqi people are not enough. We need brilliant thinkers. And, I believe, Rumsfeld is just too stubborn to really take advice. I think that, more than any one thing he did or didn't do, was his downfall. Let's hope Gates is wise enough to listen to people.

he was the architect of the most poorly conceived war since the days of Caesar, what else is there to say?

1) Too few boots on the ground in key places, primarily due to an obsession with efficiency;

2) Operational decisions based on overly optimistic predictions rather than worst case scenarios;

3) Failure to perceive the necessity of a PR campaign to match the ground campaign - the "stuff happens" reaction to the looting immediately after the war basically congealed the image of America not particularly caring about the impact on the average Iraqi's day to day life, and its missteps like that that are almost impossible to overcome

Getting rid of Saddam was the easy part, but there was no plan for what happened next. The sectarian violence was sure to follow and anyone that knows anything about the Middle East should have known that. The Shia and the Sunni's hate each other. I think 90% of us knew that!

[QUOTE=MnJetFan]Getting rid of Saddam was the easy part, but there was no plan for what happened next. The sectarian violence was sure to follow and anyone that knows anything about the Middle East should have known that. The Shia and the Sunni's hate each other. I think 90% of us knew that![/QUOTE]

That's overly generous. I don't think 90% of us even knew that there was a distinction between the two