Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Congratulations Democrats - you deserved it.

Hall Of Fame

Congratulations Democrats - you deserved it.

Now that Allen appears ready to concede, both houses of Congress will officially be under Democratic control. The GOP didn't deserve to retain their majorities in either House, IMO, and the Democrats ran smart campaigns.

Let us hope that they can lead better than the GOP. We shall see.

You've all clamored for your shot to lead and the people have spoken. Markets work and are highly rational in the long run and the market has clearly and loudly spoken. The GOP has no one to blame but themselves.

Again, congratulations.

classy post 5ever, I'm amazed at how well all the rep on this board as well as on tv have handled this change of power. kudo's to all

Curious 5ever. do you know anything about James Baker & his advisement committee regarding viable solutions in Iraq. Lots of respect for the guy & hats off if the white house if they're responsible for allowing this.

No doubt, the GOP really dropped the ball here.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=joewilly]classy post 5ever, I'm amazed at how well all the rep on this board as well as on tv have handled this change of power. kudo's to all

Curious 5ever. do you know anything about James Baker & his advisement committee regarding viable solutions in Iraq. Lots of respect for the guy & hats off if the white house if they're responsible for allowing this.[/QUOTE]

joe - I don't know that much about the background of that committee, no. I'll do some research though!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=joewilly]classy post 5ever, I'm amazed at how well all the rep on this board as well as on tv have handled this change of power. kudo's to all
    [/QUOTE]

That is a misconception and a bias against Repubs/conservatives in general.
    I for one, want wants best for America not what's better for one party or one segment of the population. If they pull it off, I'm all for it. But, based on past performance in America and current events in Europe, liberalism has been an outright failure.

That said, they get the benefit of the doubt because they haven't started to govern yet. However, they've set a high standard for themselves.

We've been led to believe that under their control all crisises can be solved no matter what the circumstances. All the correct decisions will be made out of the box and the American quality of life will improve across all sectors. There will be no scandals from that side of the house and the ones there will be dealt with.

Time to put up or shut up. We'll be watching.

[QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb] But, based on past performance in America and current events in Europe, liberalism has been an outright failure.
    [/QUOTE]

in the classical sense liberalism has been a great success

[quote]Classical liberalism is a political philosophy that supports individual rights as pre-existing the state, a government that exists to protect those moral rights, ensured by a constitution that protects individual autonomy from other individuals and governmental power, private property, and a laissez-faire economic policy. The "normative core" of classical liberalism is the idea that in an environment of laissez-faire, a spontaneous order of cooperation in exchanging goods and services emerges that satisfies human wants.[5] It is a blend of political liberalism and economic liberalism[1] which is derived from Enlightenment thinkers such as John Locke, Adam Smith, Voltaire, Johann Wolfgang Goethe and Immanuel Kant, and their precursors, such as Thomas Hobbes and Baruch Spinoza.

Many elements of this ideology developed in the 17th and 18th centuries. The early liberal figures now described as "classical liberals" rejected many foundational assumptions which dominated most earlier theories of government, such as the Divine Right of Kings, hereditary status, and established religion, focusing instead on individual freedom, reason, justice and tolerance.[6]. Such thinkers and their ideas helped to inspire the American Revolution and French Revolution.
    [/quote]

you are talking about social liberalism

Banned
    [QUOTE=bitonti]in the classical sense liberalism has been a great success

you are talking about social liberalism[/QUOTE]

Very true.

The people who are considered liberals in this country are in fact from it in the classical sense. The same thing with conservatives.

Veteran

you are talking about social liberalism[/QUOTE]

Bit, that is a 19th century liberal, as Friedman refers to himself as. By definition, the description of liberal changes with the time. The current philosophy associated with the term has little to do with the definition you provided. In fact, it is more of a definition of a current libertarian.

Curious 5ever. do you know anything about James Baker & his advisement committee regarding viable solutions in Iraq. Lots of respect for the guy & hats off if the white house if they're responsible for allowing this.[/QUOTE]
    I do believe that this committee was formed by Congress but the administration was agreeable to it.

Many think that the committee will give cover for the administration to change the course, and replacing Rumsfeld with someone who worked in GB41's administration with Baker is setting the stage for that.

Am curious J5ever. I know you posted previously that you were rooting for the Republicans to get thumped so does that mean that you voted for the Democratic Rep. in your district? I know you live in Mass so that might be a mighty liberal guy.

If you don't mind saying I think it would be interesting.

FYI: I could not bring myself to vote for Hillary. I can't stand her and am really praying she doesn't get the nom in 08. I voted for the Green party candidate whoever that was.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]Am curious J5ever. I know you posted previously that you were rooting for the Republicans to get thumped so does that mean that you voted for the Democratic Rep. in your district? I know you live in Mass so that might be a mighty liberal guy.

If you don't mind saying I think it would be interesting.

FYI: I could not bring myself to vote for Hillary. I can't stand her and am really praying she doesn't get the nom in 08. I voted for the Green party candidate whoever that was.[/QUOTE]

Well, I voted against Ted Kennedy as a matter of habit. I can't stand him and couldn't bring myself to vote for him, no matter my level of disgust at the GOP. (Even that has limits, I suppose!). I did vote for this independent guy, Cristy Mihos, for governor...as sort of an F-U to the MassGOP and Kerry Healey, the current LT gov, however, the MassGOP was on life support prior to this election. Republicans have held the governor's office for 16 years, but the governor has little power in this state and almost 80% of the legislature is Dem, so it matters little. Romney would veto a zillion things and the legislature would override his veto, it happened all the time. I toyed with the idea of voting for Deval Patrick, but I couldnt' do it in the end...so I didn't vote Repub, but didn't vote Dem.

I voted for Garrett Bradley, a Dem, for Congress.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Well, I voted against Ted Kennedy [B]as a matter of habit[/B]...[/QUOTE]

Good stuff, 5, good stuff... :D

All Pro
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah? Site one actual example.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb]Yeah? Site one actual example.[/QUOTE]

Spirit

Milton Friedman is a 'Classical Liberal.' The term has nothing to do with what is considered a liberal today. The platforms are entirely different. I think he is intentionally trying to inflame.

TMahoney
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Now that Allen appears ready to concede, both houses of Congress will officially be under Democratic control. The GOP didn't deserve to retain their majorities in either House, IMO, and the Democrats ran smart campaigns.

You've all clamored for your shot to lead and the people have spoken. Markets work and are highly rational in the long run and the market has clearly and loudly spoken. The GOP has no one to blame but themselves.

Again, congratulations.[/QUOTE]

No doubt about it, you're a class act.

Lets see what the Democrats can do.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]

I voted for Garrett Bradley, a Dem, for Congress.[/QUOTE]

uh oh, flushingjet is ready to call you un-american

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound]uh oh, flushingjet is ready to call you un-american[/QUOTE]
    You are about to be known in his eyes as Benedict George.

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]You are about to be known in his eyes as Benedict George.[/QUOTE]

conservatives who are unhappy with the GOP are teh gay

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Now that Allen appears ready to concede, both houses of Congress will officially be under Democratic control. The GOP didn't deserve to retain their majorities in either House, IMO, and the Democrats ran smart campaigns.

Again, congratulations.[/QUOTE]

The GOP has no one to blame but themselves?
    How about the nitwit GOP/Conservative/Libertarians that
    voted Democrat or some other marginal, unelectable, "principled" choice
    Yeah, thats a great way to [b]effect[/b] change....for the worse
    Pat yourself on the back for rotating like a weathervane with the mindless wind of change for change sake? Speaking of wind,
    I passed wind that had more power and meaning than the quoted post/thread
    There's the detestable RINOs....now meet the new CINOs
    Conservatives In Name Only
    The anti-religion, anti-war, pro-experimentation, pro-gay marriage, pro-UN ones that vote Democrat in protest
    Reagan is spinning like a top right now
    Last edited by flushingjet; 11-09-2006 at 09:58 PM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]The GOP has no one to blame but themselves?
    How about the nitwit GOP/Conservative/Libertarians that
    voted Democrat or some other marginal, unelectable, "principled" choice
    Yeah, thats a great way to [b]effect[/b] change....for the worse
    Pat yourself on the back for rotating like a weathervane with the mindless wind of change for change sake? Speaking of wind,
    I passed wind that had more power and meaning than this post/thread
    There's the detestable RINOs....now meet the new CINOs
    Conservatives In Name Only
    The anti-religion, anti-war, pro-experimentation, pro-gay marriage, pro-UN ones that vote Democrat in protest
    Reagan is spinning like a top right now[/QUOTE]

Flushing

Republicans have betrayed everything I believe in. They take me for granted. Why should I support them? I'm a small government guy. I, like Reagan, believe "Government isn't the solution to our problem, Government is the problem." Yet government has just grown. If Ronnie is spinning, its what a mockery the Republicans have become.

I have long lamented about the direction of the GOP, yet I can't even find a voice in the party elected I can rally behind. It really is a joke. Hopefully, this will be a wake up call for the GOP. Get back to what the party is supposed to stand for! I really hope this lesson re-energizes the party and gets it back on track for '08.

Sadly, if it doesn't, I won't support the party then either