Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Red Sox may have top Matsuzaka bid

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Report: Red Sox may have top Matsuzaka bid

Updated: Nov. 10, 2006, 1:04 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney is reporting that according to Major League Baseball sources, the Boston Red Sox may have posted the top bid for the right to negotiate with Japanese right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka.

There has been no official announcement, and the Seibu Lions, Matsuzaka's team in Japan, have until Tuesday to accept or reject the high bid.

But Olney is reporting that according to Major League Baseball officials who are monitoring the bidding, the Red Sox may have posted the top bid, with a figure between $38 million and $45 million.

Matsuzaka, who pitched for Japan's World Baseball Classic champions, is considered among the top prospects available this offseason.

If the Lions accept the top bid -- and according to the rules of the process, the team making the high bid is not disclosed to the Japanese team -- the winning bidder has 30 days to reach an agreement with Matsuzaka. If a deal cannot be reached, he would return to the Lions for the 2007 season and become a free agent in the spring of 2008.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    Updated: Nov. 10, 2006, 1:04 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney is reporting that according to Major League Baseball sources, the Boston Red Sox may have posted the top bid for the right to negotiate with Japanese right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka.

There has been no official announcement, and the Seibu Lions, Matsuzaka's team in Japan, have until Tuesday to accept or reject the high bid.

But Olney is reporting that according to Major League Baseball officials who are monitoring the bidding, the Red Sox may have posted the top bid, with a figure between $38 million and $45 million.

Matsuzaka, who pitched for Japan's World Baseball Classic champions, is considered among the top prospects available this offseason.

If the Lions accept the top bid -- and according to the rules of the process, the team making the high bid is not disclosed to the Japanese team -- the winning bidder has 30 days to reach an agreement with Matsuzaka. If a deal cannot be reached, he would return to the Lions for the 2007 season and become a free agent in the spring of 2008.

I heard him on ESPN radio say they he heard they outbid everyone by A LOT

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This should wake George from his slumber...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    and I may have won a million dollars from the lottery ticket I just bought... doesn't mean jack until it's announced

we've had every big market team rumored to win this

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    This should wake George from his slumber...
    or make him faint again!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CT. JETS FAN
    or make him faint again!
    a guy here at work threw out this consipiracry theory...maybe the bid was just to block the Yanks, offer a lousy contract and let him go back till next year. Except for the fact the Sox have money not a bad thought.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    a guy here at work threw out this consipiracry theory...maybe the bid was just to block the Yanks, offer a lousy contract and let him go back till next year. Except for the fact the Sox have money not a bad thought.
    That is what most think as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For 38-45 million just to earn the Rights to Negotiate with him, let the Red Sox have him.

After Boras manages to get 14 million per year for 3 years so he hits Free Agency at the Age of 29. We're talking about 3/80 for someone who never even pitched in the Major Leagues.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems thry took a page out of George's book....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still am not sure if I'd rather the Sox actually bid $40 million for the guy, and never can complain about the Yankees money, or if this is all BS. If they actually bid $40 million for the guy, more power to them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With George's deep pockets, if he really wanted him, he would have bid some nut case amount. I think the Yanks talked it up prior to the bid to give the Sox the impression they wanted him...from what I've heard, the Sox outbid everyone by a lot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ESPN is saying 42 million now, and that would be the 'crazy bid' that you guys are suggesting George would have done as he was only projected to get 20-30

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I expect them to lowball Mata... and if he doesn't sign, back to Japan

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Orestes Destrade, a former Yankee who played in Japan for Seibu, reported on his XM Radio show that the bid for Matsuzaka "exceeds $50 million."

"From my reliable sources, it is the Boston Red Sox," Destrade said on the show.

The News then learned that the bid was indeed $50 million
    -- Daily News

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im very interested in seeing what Bud Selig's reaction is to:

1) If true, a $50 million bid driving up the market for posted Japanese players.

2) The Sox possibly low-balling Matsusaka in contract negotiations order to block the Yankees.

I hope the Sox are legitimately interested and make an effort to sign the guy. If not....teams are supposed to bid in good faith; The Sox potentially made a mockery of the posting system - and impotent Bud will probably say nothing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    I expect them to lowball Mata... and if he doesn't sign, back to Japan
    If the bid is $42 million, then they have to pay him a contract that is worth, at minimum, $42 million... Even if they offer him 5/$42 (and Boras will want more than that), they willl be paying the guy a ton of money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    If the bid is $42 million, then they have to pay him a contract that is worth, at minimum, $42 million... Even if they offer him 5/$42 (and Boras will want more than that), they willl be paying the guy a ton of money.
    i wasn't aware of that, where does it say that

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

That is not true. They can offer him any deal they want. The $51 million has nothing to do with him

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrud
    That is not true. They can offer him any deal they want. The $51 million has nothing to do with him
    I've heard otherwise... We'll see I guess.

Either way, $51 million is quite a bit of money to negotiate with the fellow. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

(By the way, does this mean that Sox fans can no longer complain about the Yankees money?)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

(By the way, does this mean that Sox fans can no longer complain about the Yankees money?)
    Depends... if they make the 100 mil in TV revenues like they project, then it's a smart business move as opposed to a big market, money sucking move