Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Smog an Inconvenient Truth

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Hollywood Smog an Inconvenient Truth

[QUOTE]Hollywood smog an inconvenient truth

From CNN.com

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Special effects explosions, idling vehicles, teams of workers building monumental sets -- all of it contributes to Hollywood's newly discovered role as an air polluter, a university study has found.

The film and television industry and associated activities make a larger contribution to air pollution in the five-county Los Angeles region than almost all five other sectors researched, according to a two-year study released Tuesday by the University of California at Los Angeles.

Although Hollywood seems environmentally conscious thanks to celebrities who lend their names to various causes, the industry created more pollution than individually produced by aerospace manufacturing, apparel, hotels and semiconductor manufacturing, the study found.

Only petroleum manufacturing belched more emissions.

"People talk of 'the industry,' but we don't think of them as an industry," said Mary Nichols, who heads the school's Institute of the Environment, which released what researchers called a "snapshot" of industry pollution. "We think of the creative side, the movie, the people, the actors -- we don't think of what it takes to produce the product."

Researchers considered the emissions created directly and indirectly by the film and television industry. For example, they factored in both the pollution caused by a diesel generator used to power a movie set, as well as the emissions created by a power plant that provides electricity to a studio lot.

They also interviewed 43 people who worked in a variety of areas within the industry, and reviewed major trade publications to see the level of attention paid to environmental issues. In doing so, researchers found that some studios have recycling programs and green building practices.

"Nevertheless, our overall impression is that these practices are the exception and not the rule, and that more could be done within the industry to foster environmentally friendly approaches," the study said.

Part of Hollywood's problem is that unlike other industries, film and television work is often done by short-term production companies, in some cases making it difficult to apply environmentally friendly practices, the study said.

Researchers also noted environmentally responsible examples within the industry.

The makers of the film "The Day After Tomorrow" paid $200,000 to plant trees and for other steps to offset the estimated 10,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions caused by vehicles, generators and other machinery used in production.

And production teams for "The Matrix Reloaded" and "The Matrix Revolutions" arranged for 97.5 percent of set materials to be recycled, including some 11,000 tons of concrete, steel and lumber. All the steel was recycled and 37 truckloads of lumber were reused in housing for low-income families in Mexico.

Lisa Day, spokeswoman for Participant Productions which worked on offsetting carbon emissions from the making of "Syriana" and "An Inconvenient Truth," she was a little surprised by the study's findings.

"I think the industry as a whole does look at itself," she said. "The studios have done a lot in terms of waste reduction. I think that energy is the new thing the industry is looking at and what impact they have."[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Opinions?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Interesting. Opinions?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Researchers considered the emissions created directly and indirectly by the film and television industry. For example, they factored in both the pollution caused by a diesel generator used to power a movie set, as well as the emissions created by a power plant that provides electricity to a studio lot.[/QUOTE]

What about the emmissions from the huge limos which drive the "stars" to and from the sets, out for a night on the town, etc....you know- the practice what I preach, not what I practice crowd....

they can start by taking big carpool vans to events like the academy awards rather than 30ft stretch limos for two people...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 11-14-2006 at 11:24 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I notice Fish how you have manned up and don't say [I]discuss[/I] any more. :D

My take on the matter? Hypocrisy is not something that is unheard of amongst Hollywood types.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    conservative pay more attention to hollywood actors than they do to their own elected representatives

if you guys held George Bush to the same standards you hold George Clooney maybe things would be better

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]conservative pay more attention to hollywood actors than they do to their own elected representatives

if you guys held George Bush to the same standards you hold George Clooney maybe things would be better[/QUOTE]

Boy Bit, you sure are boning up on your "Excuse Making 101" these days. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    California does use alot of energy. But check out this table and see which state is number one....by a long way.

I'll give you a hint...its big, don't mess with it and it rhymes with Hexas...

[url]http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/states/sep_sum/html/sum_btu_tot.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Boy Bit, you sure are boning up on your "Excuse Making 101" these days. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

it's not an excuse (what am i excusing?)

it's the truth

you guys love to point out the hypocracy of some of the world's most degenerate and shallow people - it's like shooting fish in a barrell - and there's no real point other than distraction politics.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]it's not an excuse (what am i excusing?)

it's the truth

you guys love to point out the hypocracy of some of the world's most degenerate and shallow people - it's like shooting fish in a barrell - and there's no real point other than distraction politics.[/QUOTE]

The point was that this speaks to, directly, one of your favorite posting issues: Global Warming and the Environment. I would think you'd find it VERY relevant to your ongoing crusade on that topic.

But I guess if it doesn't fit your agenda, it's "distraction politics", eh? Big Oil is a REAL fish in a barrel Bit. Never stopped you before......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    why should I or anyone care what hollywood actors do with their time? At all?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Why not go to war just for oil? We need oil. What do Hollywood celebrities imagine fuels their private jets? How do they think their cocaine is delivered to them?" - Ann Coulter

the intention is more humorous that anything else, but there is a bit of truth to it

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]why should I or anyone care what hollywood actors do with their time? At all?[/QUOTE]

So Hollywood's Industry hurting the Environment = Bit Don't Care

But Other Businesses Hurting the Environemnt = Bit in Outrage Neverending.

Got it, thanks Bit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]So Hollywood's Industry hurting the Environment = Bit Don't Care

But Other Businesses Hurting the Environemnt = Bit in Outrage Neverending.

Got it, thanks Bit.[/QUOTE]

first off

I'm not going to waste time blaming Hollywood actors for the actions of Hollywood executives anymore than I would blame the factory workers at Ford for the gas guzzlers produced by the design department and approved by management. Those people are cogs.

Secondly, left to it's own devices, any industry cannot be held accountable for it's own actions against the greater good - in a pure capitalism these they need to be controlled through government regulations and incentives.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]first off

I'm not going to waste time blaming Hollywood actors for the actions of Hollywood executives anymore than I would blame the factory workers at Ford for the gas guzzlers produced by the design department and approved by management. Those people are cogs.

Secondly, left to it's own devices, any industry cannot be held accountable for it's own actions against the greater good - in a pure capitalism these they need to be controlled through government regulations and incentives.[/QUOTE]

Nope, no excuses here!

END THE EVIL WAR FOR THOSE GLOBAL WARMING BIG OIL EXECUTIVES!!!!

Right Bit?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how much pollution is caused byNFL football games. Think of all the power the stadium uses. Plus all the gas burned by people driving there. And gas for deliveries for concessions. Times 16 games per week. I wonder?!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Hollywood is not the cause of global warming...

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster#Pirates_and_global_warming[/url]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=finlee17]Hollywood is not the cause of global warming...

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster#Pirates_and_global_warming[/url][/QUOTE]

right...but they blame everyone else for it...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SnuffTheRooster]I wonder how much pollution is caused byNFL football games. Think of all the power the stadium uses. Plus all the gas burned by people driving there. And gas for deliveries for concessions. Times 16 games per week. I wonder?![/QUOTE]

don't forget the pollution created by the grills of the people tailgating...of course then there are the beer farts that start in the second quarter....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Nope, no excuses here!

END THE EVIL WAR FOR THOSE GLOBAL WARMING BIG OIL EXECUTIVES!!!!

Right Bit?[/QUOTE]

do you actually read my posts?

Sometimes i think if i registered a fake name and posted anonymously these comments would get more traction

the status quo seems to be I make a post and someone like warfish responds in a compeltely non sequitor fashion, responding to comments they thought I made 4 years ago. It's tiresome.

all i can say is i wish conservatives would hold their elected officials to the same high standards they hold degenerate drug addicted hollywood actors.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]do you actually read my posts?

Sometimes i think if i registered a fake name and posted anonymously these comments would get more traction

the status quo seems to be I make a post and someone like warfish responds in a compeltely non sequitor fashion, responding to comments they thought I made 4 years ago. It's tiresome.

all i can say is i wish conservatives would hold their elected officials to the same high standards they hold degenerate drug addicted hollywood actors.[/QUOTE]

And the rest of us think that the Hollywood elite should hold their own actions to the same high standards as they hold their own opinions.

People with loud voices and the ear of the public have a responsibility to practice what they preach - regardless of what their real employ may be.

JMHO

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]of course then there are the beer farts that start in the second quarter[/QUOTE]

if only we could bottle it. we could power a small city for years :P