Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mets Hot Stove thread

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Mets Hot Stove thread

Mets have been named as having interest (as well as denials which you can never believe with a free-spending team) in these players:

Mets interested in following players
    Tony Armas Jr (SP) WAS (FA)
    David Wells (SP) SD (FA)
    Dontrelle Willis (SP) FLA (trade, strong interest Heilman+Milledge, Marlins want Fernando Martinez)
    Ben Sheets (SP) MIL (trade, contacted Brewers who said he's not available)
    Scott Olsen (SP) FLA (trade)
    Javier Vasquez (SP) CHW (trade, talked to Sox who supposedly want Heilman, Pelfrey or Humber)
    Jon Garland (SP) CHW (trade)
    Manny Ramirez (OF) BOS (trade, rumored Manny for Milledge+Green+one of the 4 young stud pitchers)
    Mark Loretta (2B) BOS (FA)
    Barry Bonds (OF) SF (FA, Mets said they have very minor interest in Bonds, but very unlikely)
    Jake Peavy (SP) SD (trade)
    Octavio Dotel (P) NYY are being considered as non-roster spring training invitees
    Guillermo Mota (RP) NYM suspended 50 games, Mets are still interested and talking to agent
    Jon Rauch (RP) WAS (trade)
    Jason Bergman (RP) WAS (trade)
    Rodrigo Lopez (SP) BAL (trade)
    Akinori Otsuka (RP) TEX (trade, Rangers wanted Humber or Pelfrey, Mets said no)
    Rich Harden (SP) OAK (trade, A's and Mets talking about possible Heilman-Harden trade)
    Dan Haren (SP) OAK (trade, A's and Mets talking about possible Heilman/Milledge-Harden trade)
    Joe Blanton (SP) OAK (trade, A's and Mets talking about possible Heilman-Blanton trade)
    Brad Penny (SP) LAD (trade)
    Chad Cordero (CL) WAS (trade)
    Wandy Rodriguez (SP) HOU (trade)
    Marcus Giles (2B) ATL (FA)
    Jorge Cantu (2B/3B/SS) TB (3-way trade discussed involving Marlins-Mets-Rays, BJ Upton to Florida, Heilmann to Rays, Cantu to Mets)

In other Mets news, the team is likely to bring back Rickey Henderson and might even expand his role. Last year, Henderson worked with the team on baserunning during spring training and spent about 10 days with the Mets shortly before the All-Star break. Henderson also could instruct the Mets' minor-leaguers in 2007.

"I want Rickey back next year," Minaya e-mailed. "I will talk to him."

Mets Players teams are interested in
    A's, Cubs interested in trading for Aaron Heilman
    Marlins interested in trading for Fernando Martinez
    Rockies interested in Milledge for SP Jason Jennings trade, not likely
    Nationals offered SP John Patterson for Milledge, Mets said no
    Nationals offered SP Michael Hinckley for Milledge, Mets said no

Previous Interest/Mets that signed with another team
    Mike Mussina (SP) NYY (Yankees resigned him to two-year deal)
    Gary Sheffield (OF) NYY (Yanks picked up his option and traded him to Detroit)
    Daisuke Matsuzaka (SP) Seibu (Red Sox won the bid $51,111,111. Mets 2nd with $38M)

Alfonso Soriano (2B/OF/SS) WAS (signed with the Cubs 8 years, $136 million)
    Chad Bradford (RP) NYM (signed with Orioles 3 years, $10.5 million)
    Dave Roberts (OF) SD (signed with Giants)
    Roberto Hernandez (RP) NYM (signed with Indians 1 year, $3.5M with $3.7M option)
    Kei Igawa (SP) Hanshin (Yanks won the bid $25M. Mets 2nd with $15M)
    Vicente Padilla (SP) TEX (re-signed with Rangers 3 years, $33.75M)
    Julio Lugo (2B/SS) LAD (Signed with Red Sox 4 years, $36M)
    Jason Schmidt (SP) SF (Signed with Dodgers 3 years, $47M)
    Freddy Garcia (SP) CHW (traded to Phillies)
    Jesus Flores (C) NYM (Lost to Nationals in Rule V Draft)
    Adam Eaton (SP)[/b] TEX (signed with Phillies 3 years, $24.5M)
    Randy Wolf (SP) PHI (signed with Dodgers 1 year, $8M)
    Andy Pettitte (SP) HOU (signed with Yankees 1 year, $16M)
    Darren Oliver (RP) NYM (signed with Angels 1 year, $1.5M with $2M option)
    Miguel Batista (SP) ARI (signed with Mariners 3 years, $24M)
    Jason Jennings (SP) COL (traded to Astros)
    Vernon Wells (OF) TOR (extended contract with Blue Jays 7 years, $126M)
    Chris Woodward (2B/SS) NYM (signed with Angels 1 year, $850K with up to $525K incentives)
    Jeff Suppan (SP) STL (signed with Brewers 4 years, $2M option/buyout)
    Barry Zito (SP) OAK (signed with Giants 7 years, $126M)
    Mark Mulder (SP) STL (re-signed with Cards 2 years, $13M)
    John Thomson (SP) ATL (signed with Blue Jays 1 year, $500K)
    Cliff Floyd (OF) NYM (signed with Cubs 1 year, $3M)
    Jeff Weaver (SP) STL (signed with Mariners 1 year, $8.325M)
    Tomo Ohka (SP) MIL (signed with Blue Jays 1 year, $1.5M)
    Victor Zambrano (SP) NYM (signed minor league deal with Blue Jays)
    Steve Trachsel (SP) BAL (signed with Orioles 1 year, $3.1M with $4.75M option in 2008)
    Edgardo Alfonzo (2B/3B/SS) NYM (signed with the Long Island Ducks of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball

TRANSACTIONS
    Orlando Hernandez (SP) resigned to 2-year, $12M deal.
    Jose Valentin (2B/OF/SS) resigned 1-year, $3.8M deal.
    Tom Glavine (SP) resigned 1-year, $10.5M deal, $6M 2008 option if he pitches 160 innings and increases by $1M for each addition 10 innings maxing out at $10M.
    Moises Alou (OF) SF signed for 1-year, $7.5M deal with 1-yr option or $1M buyout.
    Damon Easley (2B/SS) ARI signed for 1-year, $850K.
    Ambiorix Burgos (RP) acquired from KC for Brian Bannister (SP).
    Jon Adkins (RP) and Ben Johnson (OF) acquired from SD for Heath Bell and Royce Ring.
    Justin Vargas (SP) and Adam Bostick (SP) acquired from FLA for Henry Owens (CL) and Matt Lindstrom (RP).
    Ricardo Morales (SP) acquired from WAS in Minor League part of Rule V Draft.
    Dave Williams (SP/RP) re-signed to 1-year, $1.25M base, $1M in incentives.
    Clint Nageotte (RP) SEA signed to minor league contract and invited to spring training.
    Jorge Vasquez (RP) PIT signed to minor league contract and invited to spring training.
    William Collazo (SP) re-signed to minor league contract and invited to spring training.
    Lino Urdaneta (RP) re-signed to minor league contract and invited to spring training.
    Raymond "Chip" Ambres (OF) KC signed to minor league contract and invited to spring training.
    Mike DiFelice (C) re-signed to minor league contract and invited to spring training.
    Ruben Sierra (OF) MIN signed to minor league contract and invited to spring training.
    Scott Schoeneweis (RP) CIN signed for 3-years, $10.7M.
    Oliver Perez (SP) contract renegotiated one year, $2.325M, avoids arbitration.
    Duaner Sanchez (SP) contract renegotiated one year, $850K, avoids arbitration.
    Endy Chavez (OF) contract renegotiated one year, $1.725M, $100K incentives, avoids arbitration.
    Ramon Castro (C) contract renegotiated one year, $850K, $212,500 incentives, avoids arbitration.
    Jorge Sosa (RP) STL signed for one year, $1.25M.
    David Newhan (OF) BAL signed for one year, $575K if makes squad, $175K if sent to minors.
    Aaron Sele (SP) LAD to minor league contract and invited to spring training.
    Jason Standridge (SP) CIN awarded off waivers... Mets designated him for assignment.
    Chan Ho Park (SP) SD signed 1 year, $600K base with $2.4M incentives
    Mike Bynum (SP) DET signed to minor league contract and invited to spring training.
    Ruben Gotay (2B) NYM designated for assignment
    Marcos Carvajal (RP) TB awarded off waivers.
    Sandy Alomar Jr (C) CHW signed to minor league contract and invited to spring training.
    Lino Urdaneta (RP) DET non-roster spring training invitee

The Mets offered salary arbitration to Guillermo Mota and Roberto Hernandez, declining to offer arbitration to free agents Cliff Floyd, Steve Trachsel, Darren Oliver and Chris Woodward. Also non-tendered Victor Zambrano, but remain interested. Floyd, Hernandez, Woodward, Oliver, Zambrano signed elsewhere. Trachsel is still a free agent.

Howard Johnson named First-Base Coach.

Willie Randolph extended through 2009 - 3 years, $5.65M
    Last edited by 49ersJetsfan; 02-27-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    good job on the summary

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    El Duque resigned to two-year deal, going through physical as we speak.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice summary... hope you keep it updated if you have a chance.

One thing that stood out for me: I know this would never happen but...

Barry Bonds - minor interest. This should be ZERO interest. There is no way in hell I want him to be a Met. I would boo him all year long.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some names on the list I would really like the Mets to pursue:

Dontrelle Willis (P)
    Barry Zito (P)
    Vicente Padilla (P)
    Jason Schmidt (P)
    Julio Lugo (2B/SS)
    Alfonso Soriano (2B/OF/SS)
    Andy Pettitte (P)
    Jake Peavy (P)
    Mike Mussina (P)
    Rich Aurilia (2B)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    noone is trading jake peavy to us....even after a down year the guy is still a monster....i would like to see zito on the mets though.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see the Mets put their money from the Japenese pitcher bid towards Soriano. Make the lineup as powerful as possible and let the young pitchers we have develop with a powerhouse lineup. Also would like to see a Milledge and Heilman package for Willis happen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    At his blog for the Journal News, John Delcos quotes Mets GM Omar Minaya as saying the Mets have made a proposal to free-agent OF Cliff Floyd, as well as to free-agent RHP Chad Bradford.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan
    At his blog for the Journal News, John Delcos quotes Mets GM Omar Minaya as saying the Mets have made a proposal to free-agent OF Cliff Floyd, as well as to free-agent RHP Chad Bradford.
    I really really want Bradford back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Team is also considering a trade for Vernon Wells and still as always interested in Jason Jennings...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind a Kevin Mench/Cliff Floyd platoon... trade Milledge and Heilman for a good starter...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mets traded relievers Heath Bell and Royce Ring to the San Diego Padres for pitcher Jon Adkins and outfielder Ben Johnson

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mussina resigned with the Yanks to a two-year deal, so he's off the table.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrud
    The Mets traded relievers Heath Bell and Royce Ring to the San Diego Padres for pitcher Jon Adkins and outfielder Ben Johnson
    Heath Bell? The 4A player of the year?

Ring I don't mind, but whatever.

I don't know a thing about Jon Adkins, but Ben Johnson isn't terrible.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    Heath Bell? The 4A player of the year?

Ring I don't mind, but whatever.

I don't know a thing about Jon Adkins, but Ben Johnson isn't terrible.
    Bell is terrible, Ring is mediocre... I dunno Adkins either, Ben Johnson was a big-time prospect a couple years ago and is a well-built athlete.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meantime, reports out of Florida say the Mets are engaged in active discussions with the Florida Marlins for the services of Dontrelle Willis, with Aaron Heilman and Lastings Milledge as the main pieces in any deal.

Well, after speaking with two MLB officials, we've been able to confirm a few phone calls between hotel suites, but not much else, except for one interesting note. Milledge is a player that Florida “likes”, but they “love” Fernando Martinez, and if the Mets include him in any deal, it'll get done.

I am reporting this for the simple reason that this detail tells me that no deal will get done, because Minaya has no intention of including Martinez in any deal for any player.

"Minaya has other guys in his system that he's willing to deal, but not that kid. No way/”

Other Notes of interest:
    The Mets are being insistent in trade talks that Phil Humber and Mike Pelfrey are not available, “so stop asking”. ... Free Agent INFs that would be considered bench players (like Craig Counsell) are rebuffing the Mets' plans to sign them because “they'll never play with Wright and Reyes playing every day?'...First base prospect Michel Abreu is “definitely” in the clubs plans for 2007. ... Edgardo Alfonzo and Octavio Dotel are being considered as non-roster ST invitees, and the club may contact former Met Lee Mazzilli about it's vacant third base coaching spot.

-- Mark Healey

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan
    Meantime, reports out of Florida say the Mets are engaged in active discussions with the Florida Marlins for the services of Dontrelle Willis, with Aaron Heilman and Lastings Milledge as the main pieces in any deal.

Well, after speaking with two MLB officials, we've been able to confirm a few phone calls between hotel suites, but not much else, except for one interesting note. Milledge is a player that Florida “likes”, but they “love” Fernando Martinez, and if the Mets include him in any deal, it'll get done.

I am reporting this for the simple reason that this detail tells me that no deal will get done, because Minaya has no intention of including Martinez in any deal for any player.

"Minaya has other guys in his system that he's willing to deal, but not that kid. No way/”

Other Notes of interest:
    The Mets are being insistent in trade talks that Phil Humber and Mike Pelfrey are not available, “so stop asking”. ... Free Agent INFs that would be considered bench players (like Craig Counsell) are rebuffing the Mets' plans to sign them because “they'll never play with Wright and Reyes playing every day?'...First base prospect Michel Abreu is “definitely” in the clubs plans for 2007. ... Edgardo Alfonzo and Octavio Dotel are being considered as non-roster ST invitees, and the club may contact former Met Lee Mazzilli about it's vacant third base coaching spot.

-- Mark Healey
    do we know anything about Fernando Martinez? i think humber will be a big time player for us.....great to hear that he isnt getting traded.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emslave
    do we know anything about Fernando Martinez? i think humber will be a big time player for us.....great to hear that he isnt getting traded.
    Martinez is from the Dominican Republic, lefty-hitting OF with tremendous contact hitting, power hitting and athleticism... hit .279 in the minors this year. We acquired him at age 16 and he's now 18 and doing very well. He very well could be our best prospect by far and is getting comparisons to Bobby Abreu.

At Baseball Prospectus, Kevin Goldstein describes Mets OF Fernando Martinez as, "among the highest-ceiling players in the game."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buster Olney writes that the time may finally be right for the Red Sox to trade OF Manny Ramirez, who has two years and roughly $40 million left on his deal.

The logic being, that in a market ready to give free-agent OF Alfonso Soriano, or OF Carlos Lee, close to $15 million per year over seven years, acquiring Ramirez for just two years, and a few million dollars more per season, may be viewed as a bargain.

Olney describes the Mets as a perfect fit for Boston, noting that Ramirez has long wanted to play in Queens, while at the same time the Mets have a wide-open void in left field.

He writes that a deal such as Aaron Heilman and Lastings Milledge for Ramirez would work for both sides.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mets sign D Easley. Eh.