Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Murtha rejected as Majority Leader

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Murtha rejected as Majority Leader

I guess his war criticisms weren't enough to make people forget Abscam

I though this guy was above reproach. Man these Democrats are clean as whistles huh?

[I][B]BTW - is this part of the new direction?[/B][/I]

[URL=http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-11-16-democrats-leader_x.htm]USA today Article[/URL]

By Andrea Stone and Bill Nichols, USA TODAY
    WASHINGTON The next speaker of the House lost her first test Thursday even before she takes office.
    The decision by House Democrats to choose Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer to be majority leader over Pennsylvania Rep. John Murtha, despite Speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi's decision to back Murtha, dampened what until now had been a jubilant time for their party.

MORE COVERAGE: USA TODAY's Andrea Stone reports | Video

Hoyer's victory, in a 149-86 secret vote, came moments after Pelosi was unanimously backed by her caucus to become the first female House speaker. The full House will formally vote on Pelosi in January.

"We've had our differences; ... and now that is over," said Pelosi, of California, after Hoyer's election. "As we say in church, let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with us. Let the healing begin."

In their first news conference together, the new Democratic leaders vowed, as Pelosi said, to work together "in a very unified way." But their body language was telling. Pelosi smiled awkwardly as Hoyer threw his arm around her shoulder while Murtha scowled behind them.

Many, though not all, observers viewed the defeat of Pelosi's handpicked candidate as a blow to her credibility.

"She's a very smart woman who made an error in judgment," said Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., a Hoyer supporter.

"This puts her on notice that she is not solely in charge, that there are different factions within her caucus that are willing to be independent of her," said Mike Franc, a congressional expert at the Heritage Foundation, a Washington think tank.

University of South Florida political scientist Susan MacManus said Pelosi's support of Murtha, a leading critic of the Iraq war, demonstrated her loyalty to allies and was designed "to show she is responsive to the loud message that was sent on Iraq. She can't just ignore those people and be effective as a leader."

Hoyer, 67, is a 25-year House veteran who had lined up support from most of the incoming committee chairmen as well as a majority of new members. One freshman, Nancy Boyda of Kansas, said she supported Hoyer out of "loyalty" after he stumped for her campaign.

Hoyer had been favored to win the leadership slot until Pelosi openly voiced her support for Murtha on Sunday, prompting days of intraparty tension. Pelosi and Hoyer ran against each other in 2001 in a battle to be House minority whip that Pelosi won. Despite reports of tension since then, Hoyer said Thursday the two have "worked hand in glove" to keep Democrats unified.

"My pledge to my caucus and my pledge to the country is that I will work as hard as I can," Hoyer said.

Murtha, 74, was one of the first members of Congress to call for U.S. troops to begin leaving Iraq a policy change that resonated with voters during the recent midterm elections. Pelosi said she supported Murtha "because I thought that would be the best way to bring an end to the war in Iraq."

Yet Murtha's decision to run also revived questions about his ties to the 1980 Abscam bribery sting at a time of voter disgust over a recent spate of congressional scandals.

In Abscam, FBI agents pretending to represent an Arab sheik offered bribes to several lawmakers. When offered $50,000, Murtha was recorded as saying, "I'm not interested ... at this point." A grand jury declined to indict Murtha, and the House ethics committee issued no findings against him.

Murtha, who will chair the powerful panel that oversees defense spending, said of his defeat, "I didn't have enough votes so I'll go back to my small subcommittee."

Hoyer is not free of ethics questions, either. The watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense has questioned his use of "earmarks" language in a bill that directs funds or tax benefits to a business, project or institution for contractors that have contributed to his political action committee.

Contributing: Wire reports
    Last edited by Piper; 11-17-2006 at 02:35 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if Murtha had won the positon wouldn't that be worse?

so why are you complaining? the process worked.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]if Murtha had won the positon wouldn't that be worse?

So why are you complaining? the process worked.[/QUOTE]

Not complaining. Just drawing out who your heroes are putting up as leaders while decrying the ethical malaise perpetuated by the Republicans.

Aren't you always trumpeting what a great American Murtha is (because he happens to agree with you)?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    he spoke out against the war when it was very unpopular to do so and for that i respect him

but he wouldn't have been a good majority leader so i'm happy in the outcome.

seems to me you are here regardless of the outcome posting a story - either it's "murtha won, what a joke" or "murtha lost, what a joke"

if you don't actually care one way or the other why should anyone else?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]he spoke out against the war when it was very unpopular to do so and for that i respect him

but he wouldn't have been a good majority leader so i'm happy in the outcome.

seems to me you are here regardless of the outcome posting a story - either it's "murtha won, what a joke" or "murtha lost, what a joke"

if you don't actually care one way or the other why should anyone else?[/QUOTE]
    Just pointing how how ethics is only an issue when criticizing Republicans. And it was fun to see Pelosi get pantsed before she did anything else.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should be proud that the new House and Senate will actually think about a vote instead of carrying the ridiculous party lines. The Dems thought before they acted, maybe the Repubs will learn from this vote.

[QUOTE=Piper]Just pointing how how ethics is only an issue when criticizing Republicans. And it was fun to see Pelosi get pantsed before she did anything else.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Were voters mislead?

[QUOTE]Murtha, 74, was one of the first members of Congress to call for U.S. troops to begin leaving Iraq — a policy change that resonated with voters during the recent midterm elections. Pelosi said she supported Murtha "because I thought that would be the best way to bring an end to the war in Iraq."[/QUOTE]

So 'rats pass him by--does that mean they know they can't just pull out and still have any type of credibility in the ME? That's got to make the anti-war crowd a little hacked off--maybe even some voters who liked Murtha's idea.

149-86---pretty impressive thrashing for Murtha and Peeloosely! Apparently Ms. Peeloosely isn't as admired as she thought she was. Maybe the defeat was engineered by Shrillary since now Nancy is much closer to being President than she is. If I were Bush and Cheney, I'd wait until the State of the Union address to announce their resignations making Peeloosely prez. Two things would happen:
    1st-ol' Shrillary would be really hacked off not getting a shot at being the first woman prez!
    2nd-the next two years would be so chaotic the 'pubs would clean house in '08! Nancy Peeloosely as prez?? That would keep Leno and Letterman and others with an abundant supply of joke material!

Edit--OTOH, maybe choosing Hoyer over Murtha shows the 'rats are staying far left--the ADA gives Murtha a 75% LQ (Liberal Quotient) rating for '05 while Hoyer had a 95% LQ. A 50-60% rating is considered moderately liberal.
    Last edited by asuusa; 11-17-2006 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Correction:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you the BMAN for the RIGHT?

[QUOTE=asuusa]So 'rats pass him by--does that mean they know they can't just pull out and still have any type of credibility in the ME? That's got to make the anti-war crowd a little hacked off--maybe even some voters who liked Murtha's idea.

149-86---pretty impressive thrashing for Murtha and Peeloosely! Apparently Ms. Peeloosely isn't as admired as she thought she was. Maybe the defeat was engineered by Shrillary since now Nancy is much closer to being President than she is. If I were Bush and Cheney, I'd wait until the State of the Union address to announce their resignations making Peeloosely prez. Two things would happen:
    1st-ol' Shrillary would be really hacked off not getting a shot at being the first woman prez!
    2nd-the next two years would be so chaotic the 'pubs would clean house in '08! Nancy Peeloosely as prez?? That would keep Leno and Letterman and others with an abundant supply of joke material!

Edit--OTOH, maybe choosing Hoyer over Murtha shows the 'rats are staying far left--the ADA gives Murtha a 75% LQ (Liberal Quotient) rating for '05 while Hoyer had a 95% LQ. A 50-60% rating is considered moderately liberal.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper]Just pointing how how ethics is only an issue when criticizing Republicans. And it was fun to see Pelosi get pantsed before she did anything else.[/QUOTE]

at least the democrats know better than to make the same mistake

if murtha was a GOP and this were 2 years ago he'd be railroaded through the process - ethics be damned

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=asuusa]
    [/QUOTE]

the sad state of affairs we currently live in, even Nancy Pelosi would be an upgrade at the position.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]at least the democrats know better than to make the same mistake

if murtha was a GOP and this were 2 years ago he'd be railroaded through the process - ethics be damned[/QUOTE]

classic leftist ignorance trying to separate ethics and murtha in the same sentence....just further evidence of Piper's point....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

if murtha was a GOP and this were 2 years ago he'd be railroaded through the process - ethics be damned[/QUOTE]
    [b][/b]
    Soon to be democrat majority whip Steny Hoyer is [u]one of only a handful of Democrats who opposed upgrading the punishment for former Rep. Gerry Studds[/u] [b]the democrat congressman who in 1983 was [size=3]found guilty of having sex with an underage male page[/size][/b].

The difference between mark foley and gerry studds is that ole ger [b][size=3]ACTUALLY had sexual intercourse with an underage male page[/size][/b].

Keep "draining that swamp", nancy!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Stop beating around the bush. The point is Pelosi is a weak leader. It's good that Cut'n Run Murtha lost, but it's also embarrasing to Pelosi. That's the story here.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 11-18-2006 at 04:49 PM.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]the sad state of affairs we currently live in, even Nancy Pelosi would be an upgrade at the position.[/QUOTE]

Sure.....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/nehick/dimgals2-thumb.jpg?t=1163892341[/img]
    Last edited by DeanPatsFan; 11-18-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic]Stop beating around the bush. The point is Pelosi is a weak leader. It's good that Cut'n Run Murtha lost, but it's also embarrasing to Pelosi. That's the story here.[/QUOTE]

I think you're half right, the point is Pelosi is tone deaf and lacks the political savy necessary to deal with the political mine fields that lay ahead. One of the things that has brought Bush down was his loyalty to the wrong people. It looks like Pelosi may have the same problem.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs]I think you're half right, the point is Pelosi is tone deaf and lacks the political savy necessary to deal with the political mine fields that lay ahead. One of the things that has brought Bush down was his loyalty to the wrong people. It looks like Pelosi may have the same problem.[/QUOTE]
    At least a few people get the point...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb][b][/b]
    Soon to be democrat majority whip Steny Hoyer is [u]one of only a handful of Democrats who opposed upgrading the punishment for former Rep. Gerry Studds[/u] — [b]the democrat congressman who in 1983 was [size=3]found guilty of having sex with an underage male page[/size][/b].

The difference between mark foley and gerry studds is that ole ger [b][size=3]ACTUALLY had sexual intercourse with an underage male page[/size][/b].

Keep "draining that swamp", nancy![/QUOTE]

Ahhh...but since the 'rats are pro-homo, then it's not that big a deal about studds, they're not being hypocritical like when it happens to a 'pub.