Thread: Cubs sign Soriano

Veteran

Exclamation Cubs sign Soriano

8 years $136mil....my god is that a lot of money. i'm pretty surprised

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2668465

i would have liked soriano, but that's a bit excessive.

Im just glad the Mets didn't overpay for him, and the Phillies lost out on him and they'll likely do something stupid like resign Delucchi instead of going after Lee.

All League
    I was an ardent supporter of Soriano. Believed we definitely should have signed him, BUT $136 million ??!! HELL NO !! Let the Cubs have him.

Banned
    wooooo..get him out of the East!

Met fans should be happy they didn't sign him - even if it was much less than the deal he got with the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Met fans should be happy they didn't sign him - even if it was much less than the deal he got with the Cubs.
    I definitely am

why not? for the right price who couldn't use a 40 HR 40 SB guy on their team?

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    He's a bit overrated in the sense that he strikes out a very high percentage of the time, and he doesn't really walk at all. (Although he started getting better at walks last year). Plus, he is average at best defensively.

Not saying he's a bad player but he's not a 17 million a year type bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    He's a bit overrated in the sense that he strikes out a very high percentage of the time, and he doesn't really walk at all. (Although he started getting better at walks last year). Plus, he is average at best defensively.

Not saying he's a bad player but he's not a 17 million a year type bat.

that's why i mentioned "for the right price". i def. don't think the mets shoudl have tried to sign him for as much money as he was given. the cubs are just desperate for anything right now. i'm perfectly content with having alou give us the type of year he was signed for. now we just need to get some pitching and do something about 2nd base.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    What is the right price? He is an exciting player, but also a guy that has a career .320 OBP (around). Whoever signed him was going to overpay for the production that he gives you - I just didn't think it would be by this much.

And "for the right price" anyone should be signed. But there wasn't a chance in hell you would get him "for the right price." Even if he was signed for 6 years at $15M per, I think that would be a bad deal.

And "for the right price" anyone should be signed. .
    Yeah, I was gonna say that

What is the right price?

the right price would have been whatever the mets would have been able to offer and still have enough left in the budget to make all the upgrades in pitching that we need. since baseball doesn't have a salary cap individual contracts prices aren't as critical as in football, you just can't go and put all you rmoney into one position when there are others of more importance that you need to address. that's all i meant. if they wold have signed soriano to a deal like that, we could have probably said goodbye at any significant pitching moves that need to be made. so that would have been the WRONG price.