Thread: A-Rod could opt out next year

A-Rod could opt out next year

It was brought up today on Michael Kay. He would leave 80 mil on the table. With bums like Gary Matthews Jr. getting 50 mil, I could see A-Rod getting out of the limelight and still guaranteeing more money, although over more years.

I'm sure a lot of Yank fans wouldn't mind it either.

All Pro
    I hope he doesn't I like A-Rod on 3rd.

It may be the smart move though, in terms of $$

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound

I'm sure a lot of Yank fans wouldn't mind it either.
    Only a moron wouldn't mind losing A-Rod and not getting something back for him (which we wouldn't).

If he opted out, he would get a longer contract than the 3 years he has remaining on this one, but it would be for less $$$ per year. My guess is we will have a better feeling for this after the season. I also would guess that he won't opt out as it would be looked at that he failed in NY - which he doesn't want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Only a moron wouldn't mind losing A-Rod and not getting something back for him (which we wouldn't).

If he opted out, he would get a longer contract than the 3 years he has remaining on this one, but it would be for less $$$ per year. My guess is we will have a better feeling for this after the season. I also would guess that he won't opt out as it would be looked at that he failed in NY - which he doesn't want to do.
    I agree that you wouldn't want to lose him for nothing but I bet if it happens some fans would act like it's a good thing.

If he did opt out, it would be for less $$ per year but he may want to get out of the spotlight and he would be guaranteeing more money. It wouldn't be maximizing his earning potential but it would protect him from the downside if he gets hurt in a year or two.

I agree that you wouldn't want to lose him for nothing but I bet if it happens some fans would act like it's a good thing.

If he did opt out, it would be for less $$ per year but he may want to get out of the spotlight and he would be guaranteeing more money. It wouldn't be maximizing his earning potential but it would protect him from the downside if he gets hurt in a year or two.
    There is no doubt some, or many, fans would act like it's a good thing.

I don't think A-Rod is the type of guy that would be worried that he might get hurt or stop producing enough to get another nice contract after this one is done. He knows he will continue to hit a bunch of HR's and be a very good offensive player. Also, if A-Rod opts out (and if the Yanks don't win the WS next year), he would be looked at as a guy that failed in NY. A guy that couldn't handle the NY spotlight and couldn't win a championship here - fair or unfair. He knows that as much as anyone. I don't think that he would want to be remembered as that. And if the Yanks do win next year, he wouldn't opt out because he would be accepted by Yankee fans and would be confident that he would win again here and keep on producing.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    There is no doubt some, or many, fans would act like it's a good thing.

I don't think A-Rod is the type of guy that would be worried that he might get hurt or stop producing enough to get another nice contract after this one is done. He knows he will continue to hit a bunch of HR's and be a very good offensive player. Also, if A-Rod opts out (and if the Yanks don't win the WS next year), he would be looked at as a guy that failed in NY. A guy that couldn't handle the NY spotlight and couldn't win a championship here - fair or unfair. He knows that as much as anyone. I don't think that he would want to be remembered as that. And if the Yanks do win next year, he wouldn't opt out because he would be accepted by Yankee fans and would be confident that he would win again here and keep on producing.
    Whether he opts out or not, and I don't think it's likely, if his career ended tomorrow I still think the perception would be that he couldn't handle NY. I wouldn't neccessarily agree with that perception, but I think it's how he'd be remembered.

Whether he opts out or not, and I don't think it's likely, if his career ended tomorrow I still think the perception would be that he couldn't handle NY. I wouldn't neccessarily agree with that perception, but I think it's how he'd be remembered.
    No doubt about it. Which is why he has made it a goal (I assume at least) to win a WS with the Yankees and be an integral part of that WS.

While he COULD opt out.....only an idiot is going to pass up 80 mill over his last 3 years or so. Id much rather demand a trade and take the money if I was A-Rod.