Thread: Cannavaro wins Balon D'Or (European Footballer of the Year)...

Hall Of Fame

Cannavaro wins Balon D'Or (European Footballer of the Year)...

and Arsene Wenger is pissed off about it...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...394035&cc=5901
    Wenger: Henry deserved award, not Cannavaro

Arsene Wenger has insisted it was a 'mistake' not to name Arsenal captain Thierry Henry as European Player of the Year - and that the World Cup was 'lowest level' of football.

Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro took the prestigious Ballon D'Or - awarded by France Football magazine - ahead of countryman and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, both of whom tasted success in Germany this summer.

France striker Henry, 29, meanwhile, was third - despite having helped Arsenal reach their first European Cup final and also reaching the World Cup final for a second time with Les Blues.

For Wenger, the decision was unjust.

'It is a mistake,' declared the Arsenal manager.

'It shows that the people who vote look only at the World Cup, which when you speak about elite football, in my opinion, is the lowest level in football that you can see at the moment.

'They make their decision on that.'

Wenger continued: 'If you see Italy playing against Togo or South Korea you cannot say that Cannavaro has a good game or even Thierry Henry has a good game, that he is the best player in the world - look at the players he plays against.

'To be consistent in a big championship like in England or in the Champions League for me would be much more appropriate than three weeks in the World Cup.'

Cannavaro is a hell of a player, but I still think he was a little hyped up during the WC. Apparently, the hype continues.

By the way, the only other defender in history to win this award is Franz Beckenbauer. Not even Paolo Maldini or Franco Baresi, probably 2 of the best defenders in Italian histroy, have won it. That's pretty insane.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    By the way, the only other defender in history to win this award is Franz Beckenbauer. Not even Paolo Maldini or Franco Baresi, probably 2 of the best defenders in Italian histroy, have won it. That's pretty insane.
    i didnt know that, and it makes this whole thing worse...

i'm not gonna knock cannavaro, the guy is a tremendous defender, maybe the best in the world right now...but realistically, he was playing in front of (arguably) THE best keeper in the world during the period which is under consideration for this award...IMO, if you are going to give it to a Juventus/Italy player, you have to give it to Buffon...