Thread: I want to see what Clemens can do

I want to see what Clemens can do

I'm restarting a thread I posted earlier today which was unceremoniously dumped by a board mod for no good reason. Mods, I'm just proposing we get a look at what Clemens can do and what his upside might be.

The Jets need to start getting Clemens some reps. I want to see what this kid's got. While Chad has done a commendable job this season thus far, we are not going to win a Super Bowl with him at QB ... ever. He can do well against average to above average defenses but against a Top 5 defense, he's crap.

We need to look at what the Broncos are doing. Plummer has had a better career than Chad thus far but Denver realizes that they aren't going back to the Super Bowl with him leading the team. He's been error prone in big games and against good Ds. That sounds just like Chad.

We've gotta follow Mike Shannahan's example. Remember that Mike Shannahan is all about WINNING. Something that he's very, very good at.

Quote Originally Posted by teng
    I'm restarting a thread I posted earlier today which was unceremoniously dumped by a board mod for no good reason. Mods, I'm just proposing we get a look at what Clemens can do and what his upside might be.

The Jets need to start getting Clemens some reps. I want to see what this kid's got. While Chad has done a commendable job this season thus far, we are not going to win a Super Bowl with him at QB ... ever. He can do well against average to above average defenses but against a Top 5 defense, he's crap.

We need to look at what the Broncos are doing. Plummer has had a better career than Chad thus far but Denver realizes that they aren't going back to the Super Bowl with him leading the team. He's been error prone in big games and against good Ds. That sounds just like Chad.

We've gotta follow Mike Shannahan's example. Remember that Mike Shannahan is all about WINNING. Something that he's very, very good at.
    You're Nuts

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

what is your hurry?

Banned
    wow! you gotta atleast wait til we're mathematically elimanated from the playoff race before you throw you're rookie QB into the fire!

do you seriously think that this guy is the future???

I dont agree.. I see him as the next brooks bollinger for our team

Quote Originally Posted by NyJeTsFaNx93
    do you seriously think that this guy is the future???

I dont agree.. I see him as the next brooks bollinger for our team
    Well, I want to at least see. I don't think Chad is the long-term answer. Besides, I'm not saying we need to START Clemens, just get him some reps.

All League

So do I. So do a lot of people. Now is not the time, and to compare it to Denver's situation is crazy. Ours is nothing like Denver's. They are 7-4 and that record could be better if Plummer played up to expectations. The Jets are 6-5 and that could be worse if not for the play above expectations of Chad Pennington.

Well, I want to at least see. I don't think Chad is the long-term answer.
    Chad is only 30 years old. He can be the starter for the next few years. He's a great leader and a solid QB. Why would you want to make a switch?? We are far exceeding expectations, and Chad is one of the reasons.

Honestly, this thread should be closed.

Jets Insider VIP
    This thread could not be dumped fast enough.

HTH.

Only ignorance would dump this Thread...he is absolutely right...Chad is not the long term answer so I want to see this kid play too...

Hall Of Fame
    While Chad has done a commendable job this season thus far, we are not going to win a Super Bowl with him at QB ... ever. He can do well against average to above average defenses but against a Top 5 defense, he's crap.
    I agree with this...it's becoming depressingly clear. I don't think we can win long-term with Chad. He just can't get it done against top defenses, and that's an impossible hurdle for a team to overcome, especially in January.

That being said, I agree with Traitor Jay...We have a shot at the playoffs. Why put in a kid who has seen less than 10 regular-season snaps? At the most critical point of the season (right now), we stick with Pennington.

Personally, I think there are only 2 conditions under which we give Clemens serious PT:

1. We find ourselves getting destroyed like we did in Jacksonville and it's obvious that we've got no chance of winning. But with our schedule, I don't see this happening.

2. We get mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Once we're out, we should still be playing for pride...but why not see what Clemens has got? If we see flashes of talent, we know that we should start grooming him for the future. If not, we need to know now so we can draft another QB in the next couple of years. Plus, it avoids the possibility of another injury to Chad in garbage time.

Quote Originally Posted by ICWT10
    This thread could not be dumped fast enough.

HTH.
    You folks who want to stay with the status quo at QB are seriously deluded. If it were up to you, we'd still have Ray Lucas at the position. Look, Chad's had his shot and he's a decent QB and a great kid but our team isn't structured to win with a decent QB. We don't have a dominating defense and strong running game and even if we do develop those aspects of the team, Chad will be probably 32 yo at the earliest. Sorry, but I don't see his arm getting any stronger as he gets older.

By the way, the board nazi who dumped this thread just showed that he'll forever be happy with a mediocre Jets team.
    Last edited by teng; 11-29-2006 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DAKA1127
    Only ignorance would dump this Thread...he is absolutely right...Chad is not the long term answer so I want to see this kid play too...
    How do you know Chad is not the long term answer? He is taking a team with no running game, and has them over .500 and in playoff contention.

I love fans, they make absolutely no sense.

This whole Chad stuff is really getting a bit tiresome. There is absolutely no question this guy is not the long term answer. His limitations have been documented more than enough. This thread is dead on. The only thing I would say is right now is not the time. Let the season play out a bit more.

However, make no mistake about it. This team can win with Chad, but they can never win because of Chad. And there in lies the issue. He is simply not good enough to take this team to the next level against the top teams on a consistent basis. This team is getting better in all phases except the most important position, QB. He is simply not getting any better and we've seen how this story plays out. At some point it will be time to get this team and their QB trending in the same direction.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic
    How do you know Chad is not the long term answer? He is taking a team with no running game, and has them over .500 and in playoff contention.

I love fans, they make absolutely no sense.
    Right. We have no running game, a somewhat porous - albeit improving - defense with Chad and we're ONE game above .500. You make it sound like I'm throwing our Super Bowl hopes away if I take A FEW reps away from Chad and give them to Clemens.

Look, Chad probably could've won a Super Bowl if he were on the Steelers last year. Most QBs could have. Unfortunately, the Jets don't have a great running game and a great defense. We need a QB that can lead a game winning drive once in a while, not one who's just good a MANAGING a game.

Winning a Super Bowl is hard. Look at Brett Favre. He's got multiple MVP awards and just one Super Bowl victory. All the pieces have to come together at the right time on a team. Let's say we improve our running game and defense over the next two years to where they're Top 10 units, Chad will be even older and his arm isn't going to be any stronger. Opposing teams can focus even more on short to intermediate routes and take away Chad's tendencies.

We need to start grooming a replacement. Look, ultimately it comes down to what Mangini thinks. I'm pretty sure he knows Chad will never help the Jets hoist the Lombardi trophy. He knows that Chad can be shut down when needed. He helped run Belichek's defense after all.

teng is 100% right. I love what Chad has done for us but I dont want to see him starting next year so getting reps for Kellen now would be great for him. Everyone thinks Chad is the same player from 02' and 04' but its clear that he is not, he is throwing alot more interceptions, choking in the red zone and just isnt makin the same smart throws.

I think if we have 2 TD lead against GB we should put kellen in for a little bit just to see what he can do..if he sucks then you sit him back down but getting him reps IMO is very immportant right now.

Banned