Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawking: humans must colonize other worlds to survive

Hawking: humans must colonize other worlds to survive

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/11/30/space.hawking.reut/index.html[/url]

[quote]
    "Science fiction has developed the idea of warp drive, which takes you instantly to your destination," said.

"Unfortunately, this would violate the scientific law which says that nothing can travel faster than light."

However, by using "matter/antimatter annihilation", velocities just below the speed of light could be reached, making it possible to reach the next star in about six years.

"It wouldn't seem so long for those on board," he said.
    [/quote]

ps- this is what the gov't should be investing in, instead of playing cowboys and arabs at the price of a billion dollars a day

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti][url]http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/11/30/space.hawking.reut/index.html[/url]

ps- this is what the gov't should be investing in, instead of playing cowboys and arabs at the price of a billion dollars a day[/QUOTE]

And here's your shirt Bit.

[IMG]http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/TSHIRTS/98-346-10~Star-Trek-Geek-Silhouette-Ship-Posters.jpg[/IMG]

eventually, technology will advance itself so that WMD will be able to be transmitted easily to terrorist groups, who will be able to use them as often as they want on any city they want. We will eventually have to leave this earth for outer space for this reason. It's anyone's guess though when this time will come.

Can someone please explain just what exactly matter/antimatter annihilation, as a form of spaceship propulsion, is?

All Pro
    In the next two years, democrats are going to cure Hawkings of his disability thru the use of embroyonic stem cells.

Once he's cured, he'll be more able to use his genius and help the democrats solve all the worlds problems.

What a bitter and boring poster you have become, get over it.
    Your posts are the same no matter what the topic.

SAD, SAD, SAD, poor little DWEEB.

[QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb]In the next two years, democrats are going to cure Hawkings of his disability thru the use of embroyonic stem cells.

Once he's cured, he'll be more able to use his genius and help the democrats solve all the worlds problems.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti][url]http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/11/30/space.hawking.reut/index.html[/url]

ps- this is what the gov't should be investing in, instead of playing cowboys and arabs at the price of a billion dollars a day[/QUOTE]

YEs this is exactly what we need to do. Because Colonialism has worked wonders here on earth. I'm sure the celebration of Columbus day has actually clouded the truth behind things, but Columbus was one of the worlds worst criminals.

The man slaughtered countless indigenious people on his excursions from Spain (thinking he had found Asia when in fact he was in the caribbean.) All this to steal their gold and make parts of Europe far richer. Yeah, this colonizing thing is a brilliant idea.

I think Hawking has had too much time in that chair thinkging about things.

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve]The man slaughtered countless indigenous people on his excursions from Spain (thinking he had found Asia when in fact he was in the Caribbean.) All this to steal their gold and make parts of Europe far richer.[/QUOTE]

Kill them off, take their land and go there for vacation.
    Lest not forget that many of these people were not only killed off for their gold, but also in attempts to convert them to Scientology, er, Christianity.

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve]I think Hawking has had too much time in that chair thinking about things[/QUOTE]

Pretty much all he can do since his career as an Olympic Hurdler is a no-go.

Wasn't Columbus backed by the King and Queen of Spain as well the Church? At the time, wasn't it acceptable to to brutalize people who were not of the same faith? Just asking.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SnuffTheRooster]Kill them off, take their land and go there for vacation.
    Lest not forget that many of these people were not only killed off for their gold, but also in attempts to convert them to Scientology, er, Christianity.

Pretty much all he can do since his career as an Olympic Hurdler is a no-go.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't a conversion tactic to convert them to Christianity, it was believed that they had the right to do these things because. They were using the bible to prove this by saying in Genesis man was to subdue the earth and all the creatures. Someone got the bright idea saying "see, that means I can do whatever I want." It also meant that "Our God" is better than the way these pagans are living.

None of which had anything to do with Christianity. Christ would, and will, DEFINITELY haver something to say about the way this was misconscrued.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=chicadeel]Wasn't Columbus backed by the King and Queen of Spain as well the Church? At the time, wasn't it acceptable to to brutalize people who were not of the same faith? Just asking.[/QUOTE]

He was backed by the Queen of SPain, but the point was the sweet and great Columbus I was taught in school is nothing like the real Columbus (nor was that crappy movie, either).

THe brutalization moreso came about because of the pagan lifestyle of the indigenious people. They were not classed as citizens. Again, a gross misjustice and misunderstanding of Christianity and a fine example of how people of any walk are just trying to find ways to justify their actions.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=SnuffTheRooster]Kill them off, take their land and go there for vacation.

Pretty much all he can do since his career as an Olympic Hurdler is a no-go.[/QUOTE]

Choke,
    This is just more multi-culti libspeak crapola revisionist history.
    Lest we forget the natives were pretty restless themselves,
    and thought nothing of snacking on an enemy
    ".mmm.. tastes like pemmican!"

Read some thoughful analysis here,
    [url="http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9511/articles/dsouza.html"]http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9511/articles/dsouza.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec]Can someone please explain just what exactly matter/antimatter annihilation, as a form of spaceship propulsion, is?[/QUOTE]

If I know what that meant I wouldn't be sitting here chatting with you guys. I really think this is silly but how can I argue with one of the smartest people in the world?

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve]YEs this is exactly what we need to do. Because Colonialism has worked wonders here on earth. I'm sure the celebration of Columbus day has actually clouded the truth behind things, but Columbus was one of the worlds worst criminals.

The man slaughtered countless indigenious people on his excursions from Spain (thinking he had found Asia when in fact he was in the caribbean.) All this to steal their gold and make parts of Europe far richer. Yeah, this colonizing thing is a brilliant idea.

I think Hawking has had too much time in that chair thinkging about things.[/QUOTE]

How can you compare colonizing other planets with other countries?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]How can you compare colonizing other planets with other countries?[/QUOTE]

What makes you think the Native Martians are any different than Native Americans? You Racist.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]How can you compare colonizing other planets with other countries?[/QUOTE]

No care or concern for the environment and for any life (sentient or other-wise). Its ours to do with what we please.....

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve]No care or concern for the environment and for any life (sentient or other-wise). Its ours to do with what we please.....[/QUOTE]

What, the little germs underneath the rocks? The world has always worked this way. Whoever has the power will take the rewards. This country was established on the same concept. If you're so morally opposed to that, you can prove it by moving to a place that didn't conquer the people who were there before it.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]What, the little germs underneath the rocks? The world has always worked this way. Whoever has the power will take the rewards. This country was established on the same concept. If you're so morally opposed to that, you can prove it by moving to a place that didn't conquer the people who were there before it.[/QUOTE]

Not true. The whole world has not worked like this. Once you start reading stuff outside of what they feed you in school, you learn otherwise. Many cultures and tribes lived communally for centuries without the need for hierarchical or patriarchical systems. While these cultures and tribes had enemies, they did not blatantly move into another domain to steal everything they had because of a perceived domination.

You mentioned in the "in God we trust" thread you are as religious as they come...the initial Columbus comment I made was regarding a gross misinterpretation of the Old Testament...a grasping so to speak of a set of people that wanted to find justificaition in their actions.

I'm a Christian too, but I don't think this is what Christ had in mind... the colonizing of a people to force them into believing something. While we may not be moving to another planet to oppress another culture, the mindset is the same.

Then again, living on another planet might get me away from annoying people like Patriot fans and Sackdance... ;) (just kidding sack...)

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve]but I don't think this is what Christ had in mind... the colonizing of a people to force them into believing something.[/QUOTE]

Love thy neighbor as thy self, then give 'em all smallpox! Whoohoo!

[QUOTE=SnuffTheRooster]Love thy neighbor as thy self, then give 'em all smallpox! Whoohoo![/QUOTE]
    CanTheHandles.