Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's get Chris Baker involved more.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's get Chris Baker involved more.

Let the Packers worry about Coles, Cotch, and Baker. Spread the field and open up room for our running game. Baker has had some drops in the past, but he's looked pretty good recently and has made a few clutch difficult catches. Until this point they've been going to him on third downs but I'd like to see him utilized on all downs. He should have more than 18 catches in 11 games, I'd like to see 3 or 4 per game at least.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I like Baker and think hes held onto the ball well lately (ie the cleveland incident). I was hopeful that coming from San Diego and being familiar with Gates shotty would find a way to bring the TE into more plays other then blocking. So far its been hit or miss.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Baker TD in the Bills game was money. Remember that goal line play action?He could become the TE we haven't had.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy's got a lot of skills. I was hoping that he would be a much bigger part of the offense at this point.
    I completely agree.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a big Baker fan, he's VERY underrated compared to some of the other TE's in the league. He's certainly not Gates or Gonzo, but in terms of ability I'd put him in the top 15 in the league. Good blocker, solid hands, not afraid to go over the middle, good vision, and a team player. The guy's just a good player, no way around that. Personally I think he's better than Brady, Becht, or Jolley ever were for us.....JMO.

I actually expected to see him get more involved than this as the season progressed because of Schotty. I thought he's at least have 40 or so catches for 400-500 yards this year. It's not like he's not talented enough to put up those kind of stats.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree and also think L. Washington needs a few more balls thrown his way!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say hit him for a couple of 10 yard catches on the first drive. Let the packers know they have to watch three receivers. Maybe that'll give the running game a bit more room.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    one o\possible reason for his lack of catches is that the OL is just starting to jell. he was needed more as blocker to keep chad upright than a receiver since we have 3 or 4 good receivers. chad needs time to throw and baker helps give him that time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetfaninmickeymouseland]one o\possible reason for his lack of catches is that the OL is just starting to jell. he was needed more as blocker to keep chad upright than a receiver since we have 3 or 4 good receivers. chad needs time to throw and baker helps give him that time.[/QUOTE]

This is a very good point. Perhaps a couple of quick slant passes his way from time to time. Just to keep the defense honest.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's get Chris Baker involved more.

I agree we should get him involved more. But with him helping out on pass blocking and the emergence of Coles and Jericho having good years the passes havent been there like they should.

But I would rather have Coles orJericho or washington with the ball than baker. No disrespect intended, but those 3 have a shot to take it the distance anytime they touch it.

I do trust baker though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely like to see Baker more involved in the passing game. He's shown the ability to get down field...last week he had that 30 yrd catch where he ran down the seam. Plus it would take some pressure off LC and JC, but more importantly it would help out our running game by keeping the opposing linebackers honest.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I've always liked him. He's sooo underrated. I'm interested that we haven't gotten him more involved. But getting him involved in [B]any [/B] game will help our offense a lot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that Baker should get more touches, but so should Brad Smith, Leon Washington and Cedric Houston, especially if we can get the running game going. And while Coles and Cotch probably had too many catches last week the offense has to take what the defense is giving them.

I have been very pleased with Baker's play this season, making some big catches (and non-catches, such as the "force-out" vs. the Browns) and doing and excellent job of blocking, particularly in pass protection. I am confident he will make some big plays for us down the stretch.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is possible that he's not geting more touches because he's having trouble geting open... I'm not at the games, and I don't have HDTV, so really I'm just speculating.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestJet]It is possible that he's not geting more touches because he's having trouble geting open... I'm not at the games, and I don't have HDTV, so really I'm just speculating.[/QUOTE]

He's not getting more touches because so many go to Coles/Cotch. Both of those guys had 100+ yards against Houston. I've seen him wide open over the middle a LOT of times.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Baker caught a nice seam route from Chad against the Texans. I can't remember the last time we tried that. It seems like that should be open every time and if not somebody on the outside should be when Baker runs that route.

Chad's gotta look for him more. Enough of these short outs to the WR that gain 4 yards. The risk/reward of those throws is very high.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree. You'd think that Baker would be a major target considering that we don't exactly have the best downfield passing game. And with the weather being dicey this week, he could be a nice weapon for us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to see Chris baker get some more passes thrown his way. He is big and strong and has good hands. The more options the better.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    this week is the week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTjetfan51]this week is the week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

The cute plays to smith aren't working anymore and everyone knows about Cotch now. Time to spring another surprise. :yes: