Thread: Mets May Land Matsusaka

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Mets May Land Matsusaka

Something from Mets Refugees that I found. Interesting.

The Sons Of Sam Horn Wiki, which is one of the most well respected Red Sox websites around, even frequented by the Red Sox owner as well as Curt Schilling, has a copy of the rules and procedures of the Japanese Player contract agreement.

The interesting part of the agreement is the paragraph below, which is section 13...

(13) The U.S. Commissioner shall have the authority to oversee the bidding procedures set forth in paragraphs (8 ) through (12) above to ensure that they not been undermined in any manner. Among other actions that he may deem appropriate and in the best interests of baseball, the U.S. Commissioner shall have the authority to revoke a U.S. Major League Club’s exclusive negotiation rights with respect to a Japanese Player (and, subject to the Japanese Club’s approval pursuant to paragraph (11) above, to award such rights to the next highest bidder, if any) and to declare null and void any contract between a Japanese Player and a U.S major League Club that the U.S. Commissioner deems was the result of conduct that was inconsistent with this Agreement or otherwise not in the best interests of professional baseball.

Very interesting. So if the Red Sox were to fail to come to an agreement with Matsuzaka, which seems very likely at this time according to ESPN, the commissioner would have it in his power to award the rights to negotiate with him to the Mets, who were the next highest bidder. Stay tuned folks, this might get interesting.

Keep in mind a wiki can be edited by anyone, and we would like to confirm with another source if this is truly the correct language of the agreement.

EDIT: LINK TO THE SITE http://www.sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/in...and_Procedures
    Last edited by Jetsec333; 12-11-2006 at 02:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's correct that the the Commissioner has the power to revoke the rights away from Boston if they can decide that they are not negotiating with Matsuzaka in good faith, but I doubt the MLB commissioner has enough balls to pull the trigger on such a move, especially considering Boston is offering him around 7 million a year.

I still hope that Boras gets on the phone with Minaya, Seibu, and MLB and try to argue that Boston is not negotiating in Good Faith with Matsuzaka and therefore the rights should be awarded to the Mets. But it's a long-shot, I'm sure Minaya would be able to pony up enough money to make Boras happy. Probably something in the 12/yr range he would bite at.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    It's correct that the the Commissioner has the power to revoke the rights away from Boston if they can decide that they are not negotiating with Matsuzaka in good faith, but I doubt the MLB commissioner has enough balls to pull the trigger on such a move, especially considering Boston is offering him around 7 million a year.

I still hope that Boras gets on the phone with Minaya, Seibu, and MLB and try to argue that Boston is not negotiating in Good Faith with Matsuzaka and therefore the rights should be awarded to the Mets. But it's a long-shot, I'm sure Minaya would be able to pony up enough money to make Boras happy. Probably something in the 12/yr range he would bite at.
    AG Reed

The commish shouldn't step in. This is the problem with the posting system. It's not part of the free market. Instead, the Japanese team should just get a percentage of his first contract.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do we really want Matsuzaka? I think there's way too much risk, and way too much money involved. I think the mets should focus on domestic, proven talent that can be had at a lower price.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolGreen222
    Do we really want Matsuzaka? I think there's way too much risk, and way too much money involved. I think the mets should focus on domestic, proven talent that can be had at a lower price.
    I do....

In my honest opinion he's a better pitcher right now then Zito is, he will not cost us any draft picks in compensation (Unlike Zito), and any spending in the Japanese market is an investment that will likely bring millions back towards us, as his Japanese Fan-Base will be paying millions in Merchandise, and possibly even TV deals for coverage of his games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boras wants 2-3 years so he hits Free Agency again in his prime and at least 15 mill a year which the Mets are reluctant to do with Zito already and Zito doesnt come with the 38 million we posted to Japan but Omar obviously wanted him so who knows. Quick question also, if the Sox get fed up and trade his rights, that team would have till Thursday to have the deal completed physical and all right?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Boras wants 2-3 years so he hits Free Agency again in his prime and at least 15 mill a year which the Mets are reluctant to do with Zito already and Zito doesnt come with the 38 million we posted to Japan but Omar obviously wanted him so who knows. Quick question also, if the Sox get fed up and trade his rights, that team would have till Thursday to have the deal completed physical and all right?
    I don't think Boston is allowed to trade his rights without signing him first. Not sure on the rules, but I doubt it as you're not allowed to trade draft picks or rights to unsigned draft picks in MLB.

Also, the latest I was hearing on Boston was the opposite. Boston wanted the shorter term-deal to minimize the risk on them, and Boras wanted the Long-Term deal at big money to guarantee getting him big bucks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolGreen222
    He was lights out in the WBC. He throws strikes and he throws hard. We have enough junk pitchers on this team. Add Zito that's four straight junk pitchers (Glavine, Zito, Pedro, El Duque) neither of whom are aces and three on the wrong side of their careers. The unproven kids (Maine, Perez, Pelfrey, humber) are the only hard throwers and if their gonna stick around and not be part in any trades I like the look of the future with Mats on the Mets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Quick question also, if the Sox get fed up and trade his rights, that team would have till Thursday to have the deal completed physical and all right?
    I dont think they can trade the rights. Boston will have to have everything squared away by tuesday latest wednesday to get a contract done before the physical.