Thread: Matsuzaka Is on a Plane to Boston

Matsuzaka Is on a Plane to Boston

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/14/sp...rtner=homepage

John Henry, the principal owner of the Boston Red Sox, said today that Daisuke Matsuzaka and Scott Boras, his agent, boarded Henry’s private plane in Southern California and were headed to Boston. While Henry would not confirm that a contract agreement was in place, the fact that the Japanese pitcher is on his way to Boston likely means a deal is imminent.

It'll get done.....once Boras dropped his demands to 6yr/11m per it meant the deal will likely get done as 6/60.

6 yrs?u think d-mat will sign to boston for that long?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I gotta say, I thought Boras would hold out for more money per year for less years.

$11 million/yr is not that much in this market. That's basically Ted Lilly money. Plus, I figured he would hold out for only 3-4 years and insist on FA.

Interesting how the Mets are refusing to give Zito a 6th year, while the Sawx are insisting on it for D-Mat.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    I gotta say, I thought Boras would hold out for more money per year for less years.

$11 million/yr is not that much in this market. That's basically Ted Lilly money. Plus, I figured he would hold out for only 3-4 years and insist on FA.

Interesting how the Mets are refusing to give Zito a 6th year, while the Sawx are insisting on it for D-Mat.

Mets need to get zito they just have there is no way they will win the nl east with that rotation sorry

All Pro
    ESPN says 6/52

So it's the equivalent of 6/103... Not a bad chunk of change for a guy that has never pitched in the majors and has a ton of mileage on that arm...

6 yrs is a long time sox better pray he doesnt become a bust

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    So it's the equivalent of 6/103... Not a bad chunk of change for a guy that has never pitched in the majors and has a ton of mileage on that arm...
    Well, look at it this way....The Sawx spent just about the same amount of money that Zito is looking for, for a pitcher that the majority of people deemed to be better than Zito (and 2 years younger). Plus, half of that money doesn't count against the luxury tax.

I think the Sawx got a great deal. I thought he would get closer to $12 million/ yr.

Well, look at it this way....The Sawx spent just about the same amount of money that Zito is looking for, for a pitcher that the majority of people deemed to be better than Zito (and 2 years younger). Plus, half of that money doesn't count against the luxury tax.

I think the Sawx got a great deal. I thought he would get closer to $12 million/ yr.
    Zito is overated, but the one good thing about him is that you know (well, as much as you can be sure about this), is he'll be durable for the contract he gets. You can't say the same thing about Matsuzaka...

And it is always a huge risk to give a 6 year deal with this kind of money to a guy that is, essentially, a 26 year old prospect. Jose Contreras was a can't miss. Hideki Irabu was supposed to be great. Hideo Nomo was the man (and was for the first couple seasons).

Now, if you ask me, he's going to be a very solid pitcher. I won't lie - I wanted him. But I knew there was a risk here and was concerned with this risk. Had the Yankees made this same exact signing, I would be supportive of it, but it is no doubt a huge risk.

He has a small frame and has a ton of innings under his belt. He also is used to pitch every 6 days, not 5. How will his body handle that? Will it break down? Will it be okay for the next 6 years? How about the next 3? It's a risk. Signing any pitcher to a 6 year deal is a huge risk.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Zito is overated, but the one good thing about him is that you know (well, as much as you can be sure about this), is he'll be durable for the contract he gets. You can't say the same thing about Matsuzaka...

And it is always a huge risk to give a 6 year deal with this kind of money to a guy that is, essentially, a 26 year old prospect. Jose Contreras was a can't miss. Hideki Irabu was supposed to be great. Hideo Nomo was the man (and was for the first couple seasons).

Now, if you ask me, he's going to be a very solid pitcher. I won't lie - I wanted him. But I knew there was a risk here and was concerned with this risk. Had the Yankees made this same exact signing, I would be supportive of it, but it is no doubt a huge risk.

He has a small frame and has a ton of innings under his belt. He also is used to pitch every 6 days, not 5. How will his body handle that? Will it break down? Will it be okay for the next 6 years? How about the next 3? It's a risk. Signing any pitcher to a 6 year deal is a huge risk.
    Bottom Line....who would you rather spend 6 yrs $102m on, Zito or D-Mat?

Personally, as a Mets fan, I would much rather have dropped the coin on Matsuzaki than be in the position that we are in now and potentially overpaying for Zito who may be more of a sure thing, but has much less of an upside. $51m was an insane amount to bid, but knowing what we know now, i would have done it.

Is he a risk? Sure. But any pitcher not named Santana is a risk these days.

Bottom Line....who would you rather spend 6 yrs $102m on, Zito or D-Mat?

Personally, as a Mets fan, I would much rather have dropped the coin on Matsuzaki than be in the position that we are in now and potentially overpaying for Zito who may be more of a sure thing, but has much less of an upside. $51m was an insane amount to bid, but knowing what we know now, i would have done it.

Is he a risk? Sure. But any pitcher not named Santana is a risk these days.
    Matsuzaka, but that's not a fair question for me as I'm someone that thinks that Zito is a more durable Ted Lilly...

Matsuzaka is a much bigger risk than a ton of pitchers in MLB right now...