Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosie the Racist?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Rosie the Racist?

[QUOTE]Rosie: Didn't intend to mock Chinese

From CNN.com

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rosie O'Donnell says she's sorry for mocking spoken Chinese on "The View," but an association that represents journalists from diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, including Chinese American, says it wasn't enough.

In a December 5 segment, O'Donnell joked about how Danny DeVito's recent -- and seemingly drunken -- appearance on the ABC daytime talk show had become international news.

"You know, you can imagine in China it's like 'ching chong, ching chong chong, Danny DeVito, ching chong chong chong, drunk, "The View," ching chong,' " the 44-year-old comedian said. (Watch O'Donnell utter the words )

On Thursday's show, she told the audience: "To say ching chong to someone is very offensive, and some Asian people have told me it's as bad as the n-word. Which I was like, 'Really? I didn't know that.' "

Karen Lincoln Michel, president-elect of Unity: Journalists of Color Inc., said O'Donnell's remarks "really didn't sound like an apology to me."

Lincoln Michel said Unity was waiting for Barbara Walters, who created the show, to respond to a letter asking her to publicly acknowledge that O'Donnell's remarks were "patently offensive."

"I think by allowing Rosie O'Donnell's cheap jabs at Chinese Americans to go unchecked, then the network is essentially condoning racial and ethnic slurs," Lincoln Michel told the AP in a phone interview.

Unity said it represents more than 10,000 journalists nationwide.

"You know it was never (my) intent to mock," O'Donnell said on Thursday's show, "and I'm sorry for those people who felt hurt or were teased on the playground."

"But I'm also gonna give you a fair warning that there's a good chance I'll do something like that again, probably in the next week -- not on purpose. Only 'cause it's how my brain works."

O'Donnell characterized her accent as "Chinese, Asian, pseudo-Japanese, sounded a little Yiddish ..."[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Will be even more interesting to see if this is treated equally to the Mel Gibson rant, or the Kramer explosion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    well at least she actually said she was sorry for it. Shaq just talked it off as a joke instead of just apologizing.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Interesting. Will be even more interesting to see if this is treated equally to the Mel Gibson rant, or the Kramer explosion.[/QUOTE]

I'm not an O'Donnell fan, though she deserves credit as she is very generous and charitable...I would not put this in the same category as Kramer or even a drunken Gibson....

I would like to know if she has said anything in the past after hearing someone throwing around a few jokes about faggots....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]I'm not an O'Donnell fan, though she deserves credit as she is very generous and charitable...I would not put this in the same category as Kramer or even a drunken Gibson....

I would like to know if she has said anything in the past after hearing someone throwing around a few jokes about faggots....[/QUOTE]

Well, in today's world, racim is clearly in the eye of the offended. Since I can only assume you are not of Asian decent, your level of offense is, for right or wrong, irrelevant.

It would be most relevant is we had some Asian-American posters in here to comment (and honestly, since we all don;t usually identify ourselves by race too often, I do not know if we have any in here).

As for Rosie, I didsagree strongly with her rather militant position on gun control, and I find her a very poor actor/entertainer. Beyond that, couldn't care less.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Eddie Murphy doing the voice of a white guy was funny as hell. I've also seen an oriental comic do it...it was quite funny as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Interesting. Will be even more interesting to see if this is treated equally to the Mel Gibson rant, or the Kramer explosion.[/QUOTE]

Yeah right....Rosie is the poster child for feminism, and Mel is associated with Christianity. There will be NO equal treatment.

Remember when Rosie a few months ago RIPPED the Christian faith? That is (as always) okay to do. Make a joke about the Chinese and how that accent sounds funny to us...

[SIZE=4]LOOK OUT!! YOU'RE A RACIST!!![/SIZE]

And people call Christians hyporcrites :zzz:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is why Rosie is a hypocrite who cannot be taken seriously. She can dish it out all she wants but the second there is an opportunity to call someone a homophobe, albeit under unreasonable circumstances, shell call that person out.

Nov. 22, 2006 First, Kelly Ripa went after Clay Aiken, now Rosie O'Donnell's going after Ripa. The three big stars are embroiled in some major celebrity beef. The fireworks began on Friday when Aiken, guest-hosting with Ripa on "Live With Regis and Kelly," jokingly put his hand over Ripa's mouth while she was conducting an interview.

Seeing that Ripa didn't appreciate his joke, Aiken said, "Oh, I'm in trouble." Ripa responded, "No, I just don't know where that hand's been, honey."

On Monday, Ripa took aim at Aiken's behavior.

"You don't put your hands on someone's face when they're conducting an interview. Even when it's for a laugh," she said on "Live."

Ripa's comment fired up comedian and "The View" co-host O'Donnell. On Tuesday's edition of "The View," O'Donnell called Ripa a homophobe.

"Now listen, to me that was a homophobic remark. If that was a straight man, if that was a cute man, if that was a guy that she didn't question his sexuality, she would have said a different thing," O'Donnell said.

On-Air Feud

Within minutes, Ripa was on the phone, fighting back. The following exchange played out live on the air.

Ripa: "Listen, I'm watching the show. Rosie, I love you dearly. I have to strongly, strongly disagree with you. I think what you said was downright outrageous.

O'Donnell: "Well, Kel, I come from my perspective, you come from yours. I love you. You talk on your show. I talk on mine. Say it."

Ripa: "He reached across and covered my mouth with his hands. He's shaking hands with everybody in the audience. And it's cold and flu season. That's what I meant. And to imply that it's anything homophobic is outrageous, Rosie, and you know it."

O'Donnell: "I'm just saying from where I sit as a gay person in the world that I have to tell you, that's how it came off to me."

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Well, in today's world, racim is clearly in the eye of the offended. Since I can only assume you are not of Asian decent, your level of offense is, for right or wrong, irrelevant.

It would be most relevant is we had some Asian-American posters in here to comment (and honestly, since we all don;t usually identify ourselves by race too often, I do not know if we have any in here).

As for Rosie, I didsagree strongly with her rather militant position on gun control, and I find her a very poor actor/entertainer. Beyond that, couldn't care less.[/QUOTE]

I totally disagree with your first paragraph....

this country is to PC....if you can't laugh at yourself, your heritage, etc first than don't have a joke at someone else's expense...

but if you have no problem being ribbed about the above then it you should have no problem laughing at others...

of course reading mallamalla's post Rosie should shut the fuq up...then again it shouldn't surprise me she is just another liberal hypocrite (albiet a generous one at that)...anyone remember when Howard Stern stormed he studio over the Wal-Mart/anti-gun flap??
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 12-15-2006 at 10:10 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]I totally disagree with your first paragraph....

this country is to PC....if you can't laugh at yourself, your heritage, etc first than don't have a joke at someone else's expense...

but if you have no problem being ribbed about the above then it you should have no problem laughing at others...

of course reading mallamalla's post Rosie should shut the fuq up...then again it shouldn't surprise me she is just another liberal hypocrite (albiet a generous one at that)...anyone remember when Howard Stern stormed he studio over the Wal-Mart/anti-gun flap??[/QUOTE]

You can disagree all you like. I disagree too.

But it still IS How today's world is. Like it or not, that is how things are. The offended are the ones who seemingly set the rules of being offended.

Personally, there is little of me and mine you couldn't make fun of, but I am not nearly as sensative as others.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rosie is a hipocrite though..God forbid anyone makes any statement that might seem offensive towards gays..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]You can disagree all you like. I disagree too.

But it still IS How today's world is. Like it or not, that is how things are. The offended are the ones who seemingly set the rules of being offended.

Personally, there is little of me and mine you couldn't make fun of, but I am not nearly as sensative as others.[/QUOTE]

The offended may deem something racist, but that doesn't make another's views irrelevent. I could demand to be called a Euro-American, and claim being called "white", when I'm clearly not even close to that hue, as offensive. No one would respect my wishes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet]The offended may deem something racist, but that doesn't make another's views irrelevent. I could demand to be called a Euro-American, and claim being called "white", when I'm clearly not even close to that hue, as offensive. No one would respect my wishes.[/QUOTE]

Wanna bet? ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rosie O'Donnell is going to hell. Period.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99]Rosie O'Donnell is going to hell. Period.[/QUOTE]

when you see her down there tell her I said "hello"....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    this sh!t gets more comical by the second...these people actually think they are important...

[QUOTE]

Trump and Rosie Argue Over Miss USA

Updated 9:48 AM ET December 21, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) - The Miss USA partying episode has led to a war of words between Rosie O'Donnell and Donald Trump.

O'Donnell, co-host of the ABC television morning talk show "The View," said on Wednesday's show that Trump's news conference with Tara Conner had annoyed her "on a multitude of levels."

"Left the first wife, had an affair, left the second wife, had an affair. Had kids both times, but he's the moral compass for 20-year-olds in America," O'Donnell said to roars of audience laughter. "Donald, sit and spin, my friend."

She continued: "He inherited a lot of money. wait a minute, and he's been bankrupt so many times where he didn't have to pay. ... I just think that this man is sort of like one of those, you know, snake oil salesmen in 'Little House on the Prairie.'"

"Rosie O'Donnell is disgusting, I mean both inside and out," Trump shot back on the syndicated entertainment show "The Insider." "Take a look at her, she's a slob. She talks like a truck driver. ... Her show failed when it was a talk show, she failed on that. The ratings went very, very low and very bad and she got essentially thrown off television. Her magazine was a total catastrophe, she got sued. ...

"I never went bankrupt, but she said I went bankrupt. So probably I'll sue her because it would be fun. I'd like to take some money out of her fat-ass pockets," he said.

Trump, owner of the Miss Universe Organization, which includes Miss USA and Miss Teen USA _ said Tuesday at a news conference that he would allow Conner to keep her title if she settled down and entered alcohol rehab.

Conner tearfully admitted drinking as a minor at New York nightclubs. She turned 21 a day before the news conference.

On Wednesday, Mothers Against Drunk Driving said it was severing ties with Miss Teen USA Katie Blair because it was "disappointed" by news reports that she had been spotted partying with Conner in New York clubs.

"We do not feel, at this time, that Ms. Blair can be an effective spokesperson on underage drinking and will not ask her to represent MADD in future initiatives," MADD spokeswoman Heidi Castle said in a statement.

A message left for a representative of Blair, an 18-year-old from Billings, Mont., wasn't returned.

Miss Universe Organization spokeswoman Lark-Marie Anton said Blair's crown also was safe. Anton said the organization respected "MADD's decision as much as we respect their work. We look forward to working with them in the future."
    [/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]when you see her down there tell her I said "hello"....[/QUOTE]

Luke Chapter 16 describes how you cannot cross over from heaven to hell, or from hell to heaven. Tell Rosie her gay lifestyle got her into hell for eternity. Thanks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman]Rosie is a hipocrite though..God forbid anyone makes any statement that might seem offensive towards gays..[/QUOTE]

First Rocky, now this....Is it possible we could agree on THREE things by the end of the year? :cool:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99]Luke Chapter 16 describes how you cannot cross over from heaven to hell, or from hell to heaven. Tell Rosie her gay lifestyle got her into hell for eternity. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

so the assumption here is you KNOW you are going to heaven????

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance99]Luke Chapter 16 describes how you cannot cross over from heaven to hell, or from hell to heaven. Tell Rosie her gay lifestyle got her into hell for eternity. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

God is all powerful. How can you say you "cannot" cross over from one to the other, when God, being all-powerful, could choose to do so at any time if he wished it. Oh right, cause that book rewritten a few hundred times over the centuries, and written by men, tells you so. Put you're faith in the book of man all you like, I'll trust to God's judgement without the intermediary book of man, thanks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]God is all powerful. How can you say you "cannot" cross over from one to the other, when God, being all-powerful, could choose to do so at any time if he wished it. Oh right, cause that book rewritten a few hundred times over the centuries, and written by men, tells you so. Put you're faith in the book of man all you like, I'll trust to God's judgement without the intermediary book of man, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hey Warfish, you seem to come from the "I don't believe" side of the equation, so I have to throw the flag on this one. The bible has NEVER been rewritten.

All the bible is are written records of historical times that were written down. Like we video document history currently, history was documented either orally or by the pen. In two hundred years, people are going to question the authenticity of 9/11 because video will be a means of record-keeping that will be passe. But it is the most accrurate means we have now. Back then, that was the most accurate means they had, and were just as maticulous (and I would say moreso then than we are now).

And as the comment of God being able to "switch" from side to side if he wanted to, that does not work. If God switched from good to evil, then he wouldn't be an all loving God. We have had similar comments in other threads where people have said "if God was all powerful, then he could do "X"." That is not true. If God is perfection, he cannot be anything less then that, or he wouldn't be God. To say that since he can't be less than perfect makes him not perfect is an illogically absurdity.

And if God is in essence perfectling good, then it would be an illogical absurdity to think he could be anything less than that if he "choose" to.

Where all the static from the bible? Is it what you were taught about it, or is it certain people from your personal life that turned you off? Have you ever read it, and what are some of the points that stick in your side that you don't like?