Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you were running for POTUS in '08, what would be your platform?

TMahoney

If you were running for POTUS in '08, what would be your platform?

I'll start it off.

[B]Part 1[/B]

Cut the military defense spending in half. We're no longer in an arms race. Furthermore, just to put it in perspective, we'll still spend more than triple of any other country of the world, even though we only number about 300 million out of 6 billion.

Thats $220 billion we can use for:

1/3 Is used strictly to beef up the intelligence community by training field operatives, yes, Spies. We need people on the ground infiltrating the terrorist cells and rogue governments. We have the perfect population to do it. The vast number of different ethnic groups we have in this country can be used to our advantage. The war on terror is a largely an intelligence based war. We need to know what our enemies are plotting at every moment. This is more important and more valuable than tanks/helicopters/airplanes/carries.

1/3 For teachers. More specifically, the recruitment of teachers. Our school systems don't need more computers, better cafeteria lunches or better swing sets. America needs its best and brightest to teach. Approximately $73 billion used to entice college graduates to join the ranks of teachers. Signing bonuses, increased wages and better benefits along with the satisfaction of serving your country will surely bring better qualified and more competition to the ranks of the education system.

1/3 Finding an alternate fuel source. Face it, there is not enough oil in the world. We need to find something better. Gather up all the best minds in the country, pay them a sh*tload of money and build them the best facility money can buy. Go to work and find us a way to power our military, economy and sustain our lifestyle with something not as finite as oil or as dangerous as nuclear power.

[B]Part 2[/B]

Every American from age 18-20 will serve their country. You can join the military, the peace core or the "great works program". The great works program will take the young men and women of the country and have them help build schools, clean up the streets or teach children within the United States.

You want to live in a free country, you have to earn it.

"I think the truth must now be obvious that our people are too
    happy at home to enter into regular service, and that we cannot be
    defended but by making every citizen a soldier, as the Greeks and
    Romans who had no standing armies; and that in doing this all
    must be marshaled, classed by their ages, and every service
    ascribed to its competent class." --Thomas Jefferson 1814

[B]Part 3[/B]

Campaign Finance Reform.

There will be a publicly funded channel and website for campaign debates. It will be made available to anyone with access to the internet or with a television. It will be paid for by taxing the money raised by the politicians. Every candidate must debate his opponent at least twice. Replays will be available online. There will be no news anchors, news shows or documentaries on this channel. Nor will there be any commercials. This is strictly a forum for public discourse. The voters of this country deserve to see their potential leaders speak on the issues facing the nation. We deserve to see them measured up against their opponent.

Now what would your platform be?

Comments encouraged.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    you got my vote so far...

decriminalize victimless crimes and I'm sold

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice fantasy question. Hadn't thought much about it, but I'll give it a try. I'll base my ideas on some of what I think are the worst ills we have going and save Iraq for the end.

Part I) Campaign reform.

Limit the amount of money any candidate can spend on a specific position, and limit the amount of money that either can be donated by (1) individuals (2) political action committees like MoveOn.org and Righ To Life, etc. (3) coporations or dummy corporations. Anyone in category two I would max out contributions and, if they endorse a candidate, bill the candidatet for the air time against the total air timer they can have. make PAC inform of the facts but not endorse a candidate. Bottom line is that I want officials not beholden to special interest groups.

Part II) Education. Keep in mind, I teach (can spell, can't type).

1) Restructure our education system (over a decade or so). The new system would include traditional elementary education with a greater emphasis on (1) reading (2) basic computation w/o a calculator (number factys) and (3) problem solving.

2) At the end of 9th grade, every student, with their family, is given a career direction. Indicators such as teacher recommendations, student opinions and classroom/standardized test performance combine to place students in either a college bound or vocational path. Vocational students can be reevaluated if performance suggests at a later date. Career tracks would include both the traditional (plumbing, mechanic) and new tech (computers). This is huge as it will radically decrease disciplinary problems in the academic setting, provide a career path that can provide for a non-academically oriented student's successful future and allow our curriculum to strengthen. I would combine this effort with a simultaneous assault on class size. This will mean that the loss of teacher positions is greatly restricted and, as a teacher, smaller class size is one of hte best ways to increase learning - in a huge way!

3) Support any state that wants to enact some kind of legislation that suggests that failure in school or vocational program translates to loss of drivers license for anyone under 18. Motivation is a wonderful thing!

4) Help subsidize decreased tuition at state universities and colleges, making post - secondary education more affordable.

5) Lengthen the school day by 1.5 hours and the year by two weeks. By lengthening the day, students can take two more classes, one of which sholuld center on how to be a student and the other computer skills or, if older, an elective. Lengthening the year by two weeks returns the number of instructionbal days that were eliminated due to the NCLB testing that now takes classroom time away.

Part III) Healthcare

1) Establish a system, like assigned risk, where anyone under 18 or over 65 receives coverage. Anyone in between (of working age) receives benefits as his job gives them. Allow small business "unions" to join in order to receive reduced insurance rates.

2) Oversee billing practices and remove the license from any doctor who is caught defrauding either (1) the insurance companies or (2) the patient..... for example, a doctor "operating out of the emergency room" so as to change a patient's deductible.

Part IV) Reign in the Judicial Branch

Promise to impeach lifetime appointed judges who consistently rule against the Constitution only to see their rulings overturned at the next highest level. Judges do not cretae the law, the Legislature does. Any judge consistently being overturned for legislating from the bench either (1) does not know the law or (2) disregards it.

Part V) Stop Partial Birth Abortion

Part VI) Alternative Fuels

Begin a massive assault on petroleum based dependency by
    (1) Developing wind and hydro power to its maximum potential.
    (2) In all areas where dependency on oil or coal for electric are high, subsidize the purchase of solar cells for the home. Any business that uses emmissions and dependency free fuels is given a tax break.
    (3) Increase our dependency on our own natural resources for energy such as (1) tidal power and (2) nuclear power.

Part VII) Flat Tax modified
    (1) Personal. Compute a flat tax rate that will allow for the gradual and, at times, immediate implementation of these programs. The only deductions will be for charity and education. Once the flat tax eliminates the debt in the present budget, there should be lots of leftover to pay for our programs.

(2) Business. (I need advice here) No flat tax, continue present system. I'd look to link tax breaks to thikngs similar to what is used today.

Total taxes will be computed in such a way as to eliminate the debt and balance the budget in six years.

Part VIII) Maintain Defense Spending
    But under this budget, monies would be diverted to homeland security, a missile defense system....... basically modernized for the new threats that we face. The arms race we face is to protect ourselves from terrorist attacks.

Part VIIIa) Some defense money can also be shifted to improve our infractsturcure (elecrtic grid, areas of terrorist vulnerability).

Part IX) Iraq.

Stage a massive assault on all known terrorist locations, at the risk of international condemnation. Second, line the borders with an international "peacekeeping" force to stop terrorists from entering the country. Three, if violence decreases and stabilizes, continue with the plan for one Iraq. If not or if this just seems tii much, create three countries with a continued multinational peacekeeping force. Once established, we established, we leave the isolated Iraq nation to determine its own future.
    Last edited by JCnflies; 12-20-2006 at 11:38 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are all things I'd try to do"

I'd completely privatize all levels of education. Our system is broken. The only caveat is that there would be a basic skills test required for every single high school student in order to earn a valid diploma. There are basic skills our children need to have and I don't care how hard they study, how tough their home life is or any other sob story...giving kids a diploma that is meaningless harms them much more than failing a test and repeating a year does. This test would include mathematics, economics, biology, finance, history, chemistry, physics, reading comprehension and logic. All schools would have to make the pass rates of their graduating classes public and that way, parents can make informed choices about where to send their children to school. Too many adults don't understand finance (or debt, mortgages) and economics and these should be emphasized in high school so that people can manage their household finances better and not dig holes they cannot get out of (ideally). Schools can use whatever curriculum they want, so long as their kids can pass this test when they graduate.

I'd completely privatize healthcare. Our system is broken.

I'd institute a flat tax.

I would do a complete and thorough audit of every single federal government agency, to determine which ones we can eliminate and which ones actually deserve to exist and get funding. This would likely lead to massive elimination of many federal government programs and/or massive downsizing...my default setting for each program would be to be skeptical of it - they'd have to prove to me that they deserve the citizens' hard-earned money and then prove to me why they think they deserve more.

I'd eliminate any and all restrictions on campaign finance. If people want to give money, they can give as much as they want.

I'd work very hard to improve the efficiency of the INS. I'd make citizenship easier and more straightforward to attain for people. Then, in conjunction, I'd support arresting illegals and levying large fines to firms that hire illegals.

I'd abolish the minimum wage completely.

I agree with Carl that our defense budget can be better allocated. I'd focus on human intelligence like he does and would also like to put more resources towards border partol and infratructure protection. I would also devote a sizable portion of our defense budget to a long term program who's goal is to colonize the moon. I'd want to build large, subsurface, pressurized living communities and have people mining the moon for resources. We should also build a garrison from the moon, since space is the most crucially important military theater of the near future.

I'd withhold ALL funding of the UN until and unless they institute a laundry list of meaningful reforms (which I can get into if people want).

I'd use abortion as a litmus test for any jurist I would nominate to any post. Abortion is atrocious and I would actively, passionately seek to stack the courts with judges who would overturn that law.

I'd refuse to sign any bill defining marriage as man-woman and would do everything I can to ensure that gay marriage is at least a states-rights issue.

I would end the war on drugs and would seek the legalization of marijuana and the decriminalzation of [I]possession [/I] of all drugs, while at the same time making the sentences for dealing drugs (other than MJ) and DUIs much, much harsher.

I would veto any bill from either party that has a ton of riders or earmarks or other pork nonsense in them.

I'd committ more troops to Iraq with the immediate goal of securing Baghdad. A "take" and "hold" deal and once that is done adequately enough, I'd go into longer term goals of transferring security to the Iraqis themselves.

I would try to craft a law that makes bringing a frivolous lawsuit a crime, punishable by fines and/or jail time, depending upon the degree of frivolity. A lot of details to think about on this one that I don't have time to get into now....

Mostly, I'd try to drastically reduce the size and scope of the federal government and would like to have people be empowered to spend their own money as they see fit. I'd oppose any protectionist scheme and would vigorously support free and open trade policies...I'd abolish all tariffs and things like that and I'd stop giving the sugar lobby a break, for example. I'd work to eliminate corporate welfare and would certainly stop paying our farmers not to grow food.

I would remove price controls of all kind. No rent control, no prescription drug price controls, no minimum wage, nothing.

Those are just a few ideas off of the top of my head....
    Last edited by jets5ever; 12-21-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]I'd abolish the minimum wage completely.....[/QUOTE]

Get rid of O.S.H.A. while you are at it! Ban Workmans Compensation!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]Get rid of O.S.H.A. while you are at it! Ban Workmans Compensation![/QUOTE]

I'd audit them, sure. Lots of people get workmen's comp who don't deserve it. I'd take a good look at that entire operation.

Abolishing the minimum wage is a no brainer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Abolishing the minimum wage is a no brainer.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! Just as long as it isn't you that making it...ha ha!

Working poor bring nothing to the table...They are losers! They need to just keep driving their '87 Buicks to their fancy double-wides after they stop to buy 12 packs of Busch and nevermind about economic things thier tiny brains will never understand. Don't worry son...Wal-Mart has your best intrests in mind by paying you 1.50 an hour. Besides...Did you see how cheap those floor mats are now!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No more preferential treatment, you earn what you get!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]Absolutely! Just as long as it isn't you that making it...ha ha!

Working poor bring nothing to the table...They are losers! They need to just keep driving their '87 Buicks to their fancy double-wides after they stop to buy 12 packs of Busch and nevermind about economic things thier tiny brains will never understand. Don't worry son...Wal-Mart has your best intrests in mind by paying you 1.50 an hour. Besides...Did you see how cheap those floor mats are now!!!![/QUOTE]

Wal-Mart pays their workers above the minimum wage. Also, working poor does not mean minimum wage...the overwhelming majority of working poor earn higher than the minimum wage.

Also, minimum wage laws actually harm the working poor [I]with the least skills.[/I] Abolishing it would be good for them - those least capable of competing with other, better workers. If a worker is unskilled, the only way to make himself attractive to prospective employers is to lower his price. Minimum wage laws remove that leverage from unskilled workers. Most minimum wage workers are not their household's breadwinner and workers who consistently work at a job (any job at any pay) do not remain below the poverty line for very long. Most minimum wage earners do not remain earning minimum wage for very long and most are quite young. What is important is getting a job and working at it uninterrupted. If people do that, regardless of their beginning wage, theyare over 97% likely to not be below the poverty line in a few short years. Crucially, if the minimum wage exists or is raised by 40%, which is what will likely happen, this will price the least-skilled out of the market because workers will better skills will begin to accept minimum wage jobs because the pay has increased.. Firms also won't accept a 40% increase in their cost of labor without doing anything in response, so they'll hire fewer workers, making the competition much more intense. If a firm has to overpay more than the job is worth to them, they are certainly not going to hire an unskilled worker if many low-skilled workers are applying too. This is the heart of the matter...unskilled workers competing with low-skilled workers...the ONLY way for unskilled workers to compete is by being willing to work for a lower price. Also, hiring illegal immigrants wouldn't be as attractive since Americans can compete with illegal workers on price without MW laws. Artificially setting a price floor is disatrous. It is emotionally attractive and people can fall into the trap of thinking that those who oppose minimum wage laws hate poor people or think they are stupid (like you snidely imply I am) but in actuality it is the [I]effect [/I] of any law, not the ostensible moral crusade champoined by its authors, which is what matters and the bottom line is that the least-skilled, most needy workers suffer from minimum wage laws and would benefit from their abolition [I]as a whole. [/I] Certainly, anyone can state that it would be swell if poor people earned more. That is a childish, emotional reaction. Of course it would be nice. But we can't wave a wand or write a law that will change supply and demand or not be reacted to by firms and workers in ways statists are not honest about. These effects are diffuse and occur on a lag and often, blame for the conditions created by a MW increase gets shifted to whoever is in power at the time the problems get noticed, and usually the proponents have moved on in their political careers, or blame others. Raising the minimum wage is a popular, easy thing to do politically and so people do it. They know damn well what the effects are, they just don't care.

People earn low wages because they are unproductive and they are unproductive because they are unskilled. No law will make people skilled. That is a deeper issue. Surely you see that? We need to get people skills and often, a way to do it, if education doesn't work, is taking a job that pays next to nothing, working hard, gaining experience, a solid reputation and working your way up. It's not easy, but it's a chance. I want to give people that chance.

Try a thought experiment...if raising the minimum wage is such a no-brainer, why not raise it to $20 an hour. What do you imagine would happen to the least-skilled among us if that were to happen?
    Last edited by jets5ever; 12-21-2006 at 09:39 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]I'd completely privatize all levels of education. Our system is broken. The only caveat is that there would be a basic skills test required for every single high school student in order to earn a valid diploma. There are basic skills our children need to have and I don't care how hard they study, how tough their home life is or any other sob story...giving kids a diploma that is meaningless harms them much more than failing a test and repeating a year does. This test would include mathematics, economics, biology, finance, history, chemistry, physics, reading comprehension and logic. All schools would have to make the pass rates of their graduating classes public and that way, parents can make informed choices about where to send their children to school. Too many adults don't understand finance (or debt, mortgages) and economics and these should be emphasized in high school so that people can manage their household finances better and not dig holes they cannot get out of (ideally). Schools can use whatever curriculum they want, so long as their kids can pass this test when they graduate.

I'd completely privatize healthcare. Our system is broken. [/QUOTE]

J5E, you have this crazy notion that if we simply privatize our education and healthcare system everything will be fixed. Why?? What basis do you have for this?

How is the private sector going to fix the problem of overcrowded classrooms? How is it going to make parents who have no interest in their childrens education suddenly interested. How is it going to address the problem outdated books, lack of supplies, and violence in schools? How?

As for privatizing the health care system, well guess what much of it is privatized. Problem is too many Americans arent provided with it by their employers or cant afford to buy into it. So how are they going to be provided with health care insurance under your "private system"??? Where is the money going to come from to cover the 50 million who are not covered today?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B][U]Millitary[/U][/B]

--Phased Withdrawal from Iraq over a 1 Year Period. Iraq, and it's people, must stand for themselves, or they will not stand at all.

--Increase funding for US Intelligence Services, break down any and all barriers between agencies communicating, simply the system to having only TWO agencies, the FBI for within the USA, and the CIA for outside the USA.

--The CIA would be granted a Paramillitary Arm, the US Peace Force, trained in the dual-nature of Police and Millitary Tactics, Actions and Management.

If any future occupation were to take place, the US Armed Forces (Amry/Marines) would secure the borders of the occupied nation, while the Peace Force (bad name, I know) would handle the actual in-country occupation, rebuilding, policing, training, etc.

--The FBI would assume control over almost all of the US's internal security, including the Border Patrol and National Guard. Border security would be funded much higher, and given a much larger priortity than it currently is. Illegal aliens would be caught, and removed, immediately (to go along with some major immigration reform, see below).

--The Department of Homeland Security, obviously, would be eliminated as surplus and unneeded. The less complexity and barriers to communication, the better.

[B][U]Economics and Immigration[/U][/B]

--Balance the dman budget (see below).

--Social Welfare programs would all be reviewed as to effectiveness and costs vs reward. Any program that lived would be rebuilt so that the people who take from the system must repay what they take via work for the Governement. I.e. Welfare no longer means sit back and get a check while you "look" for work. It would mean get a check, and be assigned 4 days a week to a Govt. project of some kind (and it could raneg to any of the hundreds of possible things the Govt. does). State Govt. work would also be an option, even if the Welfare was given by the Federal Govt.

--Two words: Flat. Tax. In a fair and free nation, every man should pay the same portion of their income as every other man. Makes Tax day as simple as humanly possible, and makes the IRS a MUCH cheaper and smaller organization (a substantial savings in it's own right).

--End Pork Spending, and end "riders" to Bills. A Bill of Law should concern itself with ONE issue, and one issue alone. Throwing your pork spending on a Bill for something else is so wrong, it shouldn't even bear discussion. All spending must be reviwed for benifit, appropriateness, need, etc. by the full congress. Nothing gets through that is not of overwhelming need.

--Complete, and comprehensive Immigration Reform, coupled with a crackdown of violations. We will make it much easier and faster to apply, and the acceptance period only long as it needs to be to ensure some security safety. But if you break the law, and come in illegally....you will suffer severely for that act.

[B][U]Politics[/U][/B]

--Term Limits. Power corrupts, and the power wielded by politicians obviously corrupts. It was right to limit presidential terms, and it is right to limit Congressional terms too. No longer can some little King wallow in corruption and pork spending to win his state over and over ad infinitum.

--Campaign Finance Reform. Well, for once I want bigger Govt and less so-called "freedom". See below:

First, I eliminate monetary donations completely, both from individuals and companies. Money is NOT "speech". Money is corruption, pure and simple. Politicans today are bought, not elected. As long as money is involved, the politicians will not be truly interested in the good of the nation, period.

Second, I set up a new system.....get X% of the population of your state to sign up for you approving you as a condidate, and you're in the running. Fail to do so, and you are not in.....sign ups to be done via the data stored on the new National Identification Card (see social below).

Third....once in, there will be a number of State Sponsored Debates. Moderators will be professional Moderators, who get their questions directly from the people and media, but who must remain non-political (i.e they give up their right to vote to take the job, swear an oath, like a judge, to remain impartial, etc). These debates are run (as others have already suggested) on a State Election Debate Channel carried over the air, and mandated to be carried by every US Cable and Satelite service. In other words, it's there if the people want it.

[B][U]Social/Other[/U][/B]

--National ID Card. It's possible, and it's the best idea going.

--Break all Teachers Unions. Set up an industry specific minimum wage based on education of the teacher, work quality (as determined by the facillity quality assurance director), Fund Education to a level equal with Millitary spending. Teachers MUST be held accountable, and MUST be funded out the wazoo at the same time.

As an aside to that, change the base cirriculum in many ways, to provide a large amount of real word education (how to get a job, how to write a resume, what credit is and how it works, the homebuying process, etc, etc, etc) along with a focus on "pure" education...i.e. Math, Writing, Science, NONPOLITICAL History, etc.

Parents could still choose an alternate Education in a private school if they wish, and those parents would get a "tax credit" vucher of some flat amount if they choose to do so. Whatever is saved by having one student NOT go to public school, for example.

--Eliminate Religion from Social Contracts. I.e. any TWO human beings can enter any kind of binding contract they so wish in regards to their assets, progeny, etc. Marriage is religion. Yes. But a Social Contract should never have been. This ends the stupid debate over thsi issue in a heartbeat, as every man has the freedom to enter with any other man or women, into a contract, just like on any OPTHER issue other than marriage.

--No more tax breaks for being married. Part of the falt tax concept anyway, but appropriate even on it's own. Being married shouldn't be a fiscal windfall.

--Legalize Pot. States free to enact any kind of limitation legislation they wish, from age limits, to State selling only (with heavy state taxes), etc.

Other, more dangerous drugs would be decriminalized for posession only, but as others suggested, dealing would be a crime still. This would fill a novel-length post in and of itself, so this is just a very basic overlay.

--Legalize Prostitution. Again, what kind fio "free county" tells someone they cannot use their body as they see fit, as long as it hurts no one. State regulation (i.e. periodic health checks, registration, etc.) would also make it all MUCH safer for all involved, and vastly less "seedy". It's going to exist if some want it to or not, may as well tax it, make it safe, and get it OFF the streets and into purpose-built locations.

--Penalties for DUI (be it alcohol or any other drug, and yes, Pot too) would be severely increased. I mean Jail time for first offenses. Freedom says you should be allowed to do dugs if you wish, but it doesn;t mean you can put others in danger with your actions.

--Prisons. Maybe a little too "Escape from NY" for some, but find a large isalnd someplace, and turn it into THE Federal Prison. Prison should be punishment, not "rehabilitation". If you did something wrong enough to end up in prison (violence, murder, rape and other violent crimes with clear victims) then you do not warrant my compassion, or any kind of rehabilitation. And the same goes for White Collar criminals who destoy a few million lives with their theivery and corruption. An example would be an large Mining Island, or other value-orianted work facillity, where we gain benifit, not just cost, from these offenders.

--Abortion. Form a panel of scientists. Have them come up with a best guess as to when consciousness begins. Fund the hell out of finding out. Do everything possible to get an answer.

When consciousness begins, Abortion becomes illegal. Period. While the "my body" argument does carry some sway with me, once the being inside you has consciousness, it is no longer just "your" body. Killing another consciousness is Murder, plain and simple.

Along with this, an optional "Deep Education Program" on Sex Ed will be mandated at every school, giving EVERY Specific needed to know what is what. Parents can, as always, opt their kids out.....but that doesn't get them around the laws above on abortion.

I'd also work with drug companies, and contraceptive makers, to lower the costs of these items so any American could afford to use them.

And finally, a complete and utter reworking of the Social Care Programs would be done, to better take care of the kids born but unwanted. Again, another issue that could be a novel on it's own, so this is a very brief overlay only.
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-21-2006 at 11:39 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]J5E, you have this crazy notion that if we simply privatize our education and healthcare system everything will be fixed. Why?? What basis do you have for this?

How is the private sector going to fix the problem of overcrowded classrooms? How is it going to make parents who have no interest in their childrens education suddenly interested. How is it going to address the problem outdated books, lack of supplies, and violence in schools? How?

As for privatizing the health care system, well guess what much of it is privatized. Problem is too many Americans arent provided with it by their employers or cant afford to buy into it. So how are they going to be provided with health care insurance under your "private system"??? Where is the money going to come from to cover the 50 million who are not covered today?[/QUOTE]

Who said everything would be fixed? I never did. The issue is privatization compared to what we currently have. Privatizing would no doubt be a huge improvement in my view because what we currently have is failing, period. Teachers unions are a huge part of the problem and privatization should hopefully be able to hold teachers more accoutnable than they are being nowadays. Schools will have to compete for students and schools with crowded classrooms or outdated books will lose customers. Disinterested parents are a problem that government cannot solve and we have wasted far too much time and money trying to. The notion that a change should be forgone because it isn't perfect is nonsense, the question is whether it would be an [I]improvement[/I]. We've had these discussions before and I simply think privatization is the way to go. The government has a monopoly on education, that's largely why it is failing.

With healthcare...some people don't need or want the same level of "coverage" as others do. When you say "covered" you are talking about health [I]insurance[/I], because heatlth [I]care[/I] is provided for anyone who can pay, so everyone is "covered" everyone has "access" to care since they can buy it if they want it. If we make government much smaller and lower taxes considerably, we free up money for people to spend how they see fit...to buy insurance that works for them, to go to schools they want their kids to go to. It lowers the cost of hiring a new worker for businesses since they don't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars per employee on health insurance, which allows these businesses greater payroll flexibility and allows them to invest more in projects to increase revenue, which helps society by creating jobs and wealth. Taxes should be spent, instead of on ridiculous government programs, to setting aside money for people who truly need it for things like this. I'd much rather see lower taxes for everyone to use as they see fit and for tax revenue to go for government-sponsored healthcare facilities for the truly destitute. But I want people (and firms) to be able to choose. Many firms would still provide insurance as part of an incentive package. The issue is freedom and efficiency and in my experience, private markets are much more effcicient that government programs or bureaucracies.
    Last edited by jets5ever; 12-21-2006 at 11:43 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about each state getting one representative in the Senate and one in the House.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan]How about each state getting one representative in the Senate and one in the House.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that. Senate, fine. One or two...doesn't matter much to me if ecah state gets the same representation in the Senate. However, population should factor into the number of house seats in any area. Several states have tens of millions of residents, while others have fewer than half a million. I would think that would skew things too much in terms of the equality of representation at the federal level. Small states are protected and large states held in check by the power and distribution of the Senate. I think doing that for both houses of Congress isn't very democratic, but that's just my opinion, for what its worth.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]I don't know about that. Senate, fine. One or two...doesn't matter much to me if ecah state gets the same representation in the Senate. However, population should factor into the number of house seats in any area. Several states have tens of millions of residents, while others have fewer than half a million. I would think that would skew things too much in terms of the equality of representation at the federal level. Small states are protected and large states held in check by the power and distribution of the Senate. I think doing that for both houses of Congress isn't very democratic, but that's just my opinion, for what its worth.[/QUOTE]

Senate = 2 per State.

House = Based on Pop.

But I WOULD change one thing. No more "districting". Another form of political corruption.

Instead, change House Elections to State-Wide, just like Senate.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]These are all things I'd try to do"....[/QUOTE]
    Anyone who ran on a platform even remotely similar to this would get my vote. I would only add a couple of things.

I would try to get the salaries of politicians be raised drastically. Like by millions of dollars for each office. Not that almost any of our current politicians actually deserve it but itís basically a drop in the hat for tax payers and would make the job more attractive to more competent people. Iíd much rather political candidates be motivated by money rather than a desire for power.

Iíd also expand on your opposition of bills that limit free trade and endorse protectionism. Iíd actually try to limit the governmentís power to do such things, maybe with a constitutional amendment. If they have no such power there is no incentive for businesses to buy them off in the first place.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Oakliusmaximus]Anyone who ran on a platform even remotely similar to this would get my vote. I would only add a couple of things.

I would try to get the salaries of politicians be raised drastically. Like by millions of dollars for each office. Not that almost any of our current politicians actually deserve it but itís basically a drop in the hat for tax payers and would make the job more attractive to more competent people. Iíd much rather political candidates be motivated by money rather than a desire for power.

Iíd also expand on your opposition of bills that limit free trade and endorse protectionism. Iíd actually try to limit the governmentís power to do such things, maybe with a constitutional amendment. If they have no such power there is no incentive for businesses to buy them off in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Great ideas, both. Nice work.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Oakliusmaximus]Anyone who ran on a platform even remotely similar to this would get my vote. I would only add a couple of things.

[B]I would try to get the salaries of politicians be raised drastically. Like by millions of dollars for each office. Not that almost any of our current politicians actually deserve it but itís basically a drop in the hat for tax payers and would make the job more attractive to more competent people. Iíd much rather political candidates be motivated by money rather than a desire for power. [/B]

Iíd also expand on your opposition of bills that limit free trade and endorse protectionism. Iíd actually try to limit the governmentís power to do such things, maybe with a constitutional amendment. If they have no such power there is no incentive for businesses to buy them off in the first place.[/QUOTE]

How about using some of this money to increase the salaries of teachers? NYC public school teachers are making around 45K/yr. Thats chump change for the people responsible for shaping our children's future.

How about giving them 125K per year. Maybe that will help recruit "better" teachers???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]How about using some of this money to increase the salaries of teachers? NYC public school teachers are making around 45K/yr. Thats chump change for the people responsible for shaping our children's future.

How about giving them 125K per year. Maybe that will help recruit "better" teachers???[/QUOTE]

Sure, and they agree to disband the teachers union and do away completely with tenure. It's ridiculously difficult and costly to fire teachers in many areas and sorry, MANY teachers simply aren't doing a good enough job and aren't worth more than what they are earning. Make it easier to fire teachers and eaiser to reward the good ones and punish/fire the bad ones.

Privatizing the education system allows teachers to compete with one another for salaries, just like everywhere else. Good ones get paid, bad ones don't and get forced out of the industry. Currently, it's nearly impossible to force out a bad teacher. Schools that want good teachers have to pay for them.

$45k goes a lot farther with a much lower tax bill, too....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]How about using some of this money to increase the salaries of teachers? NYC public school teachers are making around 45K/yr. Thats chump change for the people responsible for shaping our children's future.

How about giving them 125K per year. Maybe that will help recruit "better" teachers???[/QUOTE]

In a privatized system, this would be possible. Teachers pay wouldn't be determined by length of service, amount of degrees etc. Better teachers would earn more. Each teachers salaries would be determinded by the market.