Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Zito is gone where do we go from here...

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,041
    Post Thanks / Like

    Zito is gone where do we go from here...

    the pitching isnt good.....do we throw the farm at the astros? personaly i believe we should......this should be our year (noone is getting younger)

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Astros?

    For who?

    I hope you are not talking about Oswalt.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Astros?

    For who?

    I hope you are not talking about Oswalt.
    i am....

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Astros?

    For who?

    I hope you are not talking about Oswalt.
    15-8 with a sub 3ERA in a hitters park........and dont forget that he started the season terribly.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,093
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emslave
    15-8 with a sub 3ERA in a hitters park........and dont forget that he started the season terribly.
    Astros just signed him to an extension last season, he's a much better pitcher than Zito for cheaper, so I don't think the Astros will be giving him away anytime soon

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7
    Astros just signed him to an extension last season, he's a much better pitcher than Zito for cheaper, so I don't think the Astros will be giving him away anytime soon
    well we ALMOST had him before the deadline so the astros must have SOME interest in dealing him...

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emslave
    well we ALMOST had him before the deadline so the astros must have SOME interest in dealing him...
    Oswalt isn't going anywhere.

    They just signed him to an extention at way below market value. That window is closed.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    Oswalt isn't going anywhere.

    They just signed him to an extention at way below market value. That window is closed.
    wasnt sure if he resigned.......where do we go from here? Zambrano?

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally think Mulder is the best option right now. I know he wont be ready for opening day, but to me he has more upside than anyone else on the free agent market.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emslave
    wasnt sure if he resigned.......where do we go from here? Zambrano?
    He isn't coming back.

    The Mets non-tendered him.

    Trial by fire, Pelfrey, Humber, Maine, Perez, Vargas will all have chances.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    I personally think Mulder is the best option right now. I know he wont be ready for opening day, but to me he has more upside than anyone else on the free agent market.
    I'd rather get a guy who can pitch in the first half of the season, especially with Pedro out until at least the ASB.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    I'd rather get a guy who can pitch in the first half of the season, especially with Pedro out until at least the ASB.
    Understandable, but who else is there really. I think the bats can carry this team for half a season while we sort out which of the young guys are ready. (maine, perez, humber, pelfrey. I mean as of right now opening day is glavine, el duque, maine, williams?, and perez. They had a winning record last year with the first four. I also am not a big milledge fan, but some of the rumors I hear are just crazy. I would rather start the season with that rotation than just give away milledge.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    22,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    Understandable, but who else is there really. I think the bats can carry this team for half a season while we sort out which of the young guys are ready. (maine, perez, humber, pelfrey. I mean as of right now opening day is glavine, el duque, maine, williams?, and perez. They had a winning record last year with the first four. I also am not a big milledge fan, but some of the rumors I hear are just crazy. I would rather start the season with that rotation than just give away milledge.
    I'd look into signing a guy like Tomo Okha or a Bruce Chen.

  14. #14
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind throwing a boatload of money at Clemens. It would only be a 1 yr deal, so Im sure we could stay below the luxury tax.

    We could stay afloat til he is ready to pitch in June, see which of the young guns is ready, and then have one of the best rotations in the NL.

    We would also have the $$$ to go after a marquee guy in FA next year (C. Zambrano).

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    I wouldn't mind throwing a boatload of money at Clemens. It would only be a 1 yr deal, so Im sure we could stay below the luxury tax.

    We could stay afloat til he is ready to pitch in June, see which of the young guns is ready, and then have one of the best rotations in the NL.

    We would also have the $$$ to go after a marquee guy in FA next year (C. Zambrano).
    I NEVER WANT TO SEE CLEMENS ON THE METS. It would be an insult to met fans after the whole Piazza situation.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    I wouldn't mind throwing a boatload of money at Clemens. It would only be a 1 yr deal, so Im sure we could stay below the luxury tax.

    We could stay afloat til he is ready to pitch in June, see which of the young guns is ready, and then have one of the best rotations in the NL.

    We would also have the $$$ to go after a marquee guy in FA next year (C. Zambrano).
    Clemens isn't gonna be a Met. He will probably stay with the Astros. even if he doesn't all the reports say he is either gonna be a Yankee or a dirty slimmy rotten red suck!

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    They'll call Weaver

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    They'll call Weaver
    I can see that just because omar is in contact with everyone. I wouldnt even mind giving Weaver big bucks for one year, but I am very skeptical of him pitching in NY consistantly. Seems like a head case.

  19. #19
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    I NEVER WANT TO SEE CLEMENS ON THE METS. It would be an insult to met fans after the whole Piazza situation.
    You'd get over it if he went 11-2 and got us to the World Series.

    Believe me, I hate(d) Roger Clemens as much as the next Met fan back in 2000.

    But, if he can help our team win, Im all for signing him. There is no more loyalty in sports these days. All that matter is $$$ and winning.

    It doesn't mean i think we will --I agree he will prolly sign with the Astros or Boston.....but we might as well take a shot.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino
    You'd get over it if he went 11-2 and got us to the World Series.

    Believe me, I hate(d) Roger Clemens as much as the next Met fan back in 2000.

    But, if he can help our team win, Im all for signing him. There is no more loyalty in sports these days. All that matter is $$$ and winning.

    It doesn't mean i think we will --I agree he will prolly sign with the Astros or Boston.....but we might as well take a shot.
    I understand what you are saying, but I dont know. I would feel ripped off. I cant say i would rather lose without clemens than win with him, but if you are going to win it wouldn't you rather do it without selling out.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us