Thread: Unit trade

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Unit trade

anyone think this deal will actually happen??

I thought it may be a good idea if the YANKS were gonna go after Zito but that is out the window.

depending on Pavano just seems silly and who knows whats going to happen with Clemens, so if Johnson does get traded who fills his spot this year??

what do we need in return for Johnson and is it worth giving him up? I mean he is probably gonna be good for 13-17 wins this year even if his ERA hovers around 9.

what do you think Yankees fans??

Mets fans please feel free to chime in also.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    anyone think this deal will actually happen??

I thought it may be a good idea if the YANKS were gonna go after Zito but that is out the window.

depending on Pavano just seems silly and who knows whats going to happen with Clemens, so if Johnson does get traded who fills his spot this year??

what do we need in return for Johnson and is it worth giving him up? I mean he is probably gonna be good for 13-17 wins this year even if his ERA hovers around 9.

what do you think Yankees fans??

Mets fans please feel free to chime in also.
    I am a met fan, but from a yankee point of view i would trade him for a bag of balls just to dump the salary. I mean he hasnt done anything in the postseason for you guys and as a met fan i can honestly say he doesnt scare me at all. I dont think he scares any team anymore. Plus at his age there is no reason to think his back won't only get worse.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would any major league team want to trade for a 43 old pitcher with a $16M contract coming off back surgery?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21
    Why would any major league team want to trade for a 43 old pitcher with a $16M contract coming off back surgery?
    not sure but apparently some do.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I definately wouldn't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    Not only that, but i heard on WFAN Monday night that Arz is interested in giving him a 2yr extention. I dont know what kinda stuff they are smoking down there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21
    I definately wouldn't.
    I guess thats cause you have a better baseball mind than the GM for the Diamondbacks, Padres and Giants

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can guarentee that if the Yankees do trade RJ, they will get something of value in return for him. (Not that they really should, but Cash is good with these things and there actually is a market for the old man).

I'd make the trade in a second, and I didn't want Zito to replace him.

Next year's rotation will be:
    Wang
    Pettitte
    Moose
    Igawa
    Pavano

If someone gets hurt in ST, then Rasner or Karstens can step in. Or, if the Yankees FO thinks he's ready, Humberto Sanchez can make the rotation. Philip Hughes, ability-wise, is ready to go, but the Yankees will want to start him in AAA to build up arm strength. Either way, he'll be ready to be a top end starter a couple months into the season. Plus, a couple months into the season, the Yankees will have a great chance to sign Roger Clemens. Get rid of RJ and save the money for Clemens or for the coming years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yanks, D-Backs
    close to Unit deal

BY BILL MADDEN and
    ANTHONY McCARRON
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

The Diamondbacks have been the most aggressive suitors for Randy Johnson and sources close to the negotiations said yesterday that the Yankees and Arizona could complete a trade to send Johnson back to the desert before next week.
    The Diamondbacks, who view Johnson as a gate attraction, want to talk to the Big Unit about a contract extension, a source said. That would give Arizona a chance to reap the attendance and buzz benefits of Johnson going for his 300th victory - he will enter next season with 280 wins.

The Yankees, meanwhile, have their eyes on a package of Arizona pitching prospects. The Diamondbacks are loaded with young talent and if the Yankees send Johnson home to Arizona - Johnson's home is in the Phoenix suburb of Paradise Valley - they'd like to get at least two of the following three pitchers: Dustin Nippert, Micah Owings and Ross Ohlendorf.

Nippert, 25, is a 6-8 righthander who was 13-8 with a 4.87 ERA in Triple-A last season and lost both his major league starts. Owings, a 6-5 righty, was 6-2 at Double-A and 10-0 at Triple-A. Ohlendorf, a 6-4 righty, spent most of last season in Double-A, going 10-8 with a 3.29 ERA. Ohlendorf had 125 strikeouts and only 29 walks in 177-2/3 innings.

The Padres, believed to be offering reliever Scott Linebrink, also have been involved, but the Yankees apparently prefer the players they might be able to pry from the Diamondbacks. While talks are ongoing, the Yankees have not brought a deal to Johnson and his agents to approve - Johnson has a full no-trade clause in his contract.

Johnson, who is coming off back surgery, did not request a trade, but the Yankees began discussions with other clubs after GM Brian Cashman called Johnson to offer condolences after Johnson's older brother died recently. During the call, Johnson told the GM it was important to be close to his family.

The Yankees don't feel that trading Johnson is a necessity, but they're willing to listen, and several baseball officials have said privately recently that the Yankees are working diligently to consummate a deal.

While the Yankees have been pursuing pitchers in their talks with the D-Backs, Padres and other West Coast teams, it's believed they have made progress in their plans for the spare parts they need at first base and utility infielder. A source said the Yankees are zeroing in on Doug Mientkiewicz to play first while Jason Giambi is the designated hitter, even though Mientkiewicz is a lefthanded batter.

Also, the source said, Mark Loretta may be the Yankees' first choice to be a utility infielder. Loretta had hoped to find a job as a regular second baseman, but hasn't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the D'Backs are retarded to make this trade.

You get an aging, and now mediocre pitcher who has at most one or two years left and trade away a young arm for it?

AND it costs you at least a portion of his $15.67M contract???

If you really wanted to go out and get yourself an expensive lefty starter, they might as well have gone after Barry Zito instead of grandpa Randy.

The GM should be fired for even considering this.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    If the Yankees don't trade RJ, they should at least consider putting him in the pen.

It seems like the Yankees always have a problem finding a 7th/8th inning guy. Putting RJ in that spot would be a great fit, IMHO. Im guessing the one major problem there is that he wouldn't want to do it, but if Pavano is healthy, he may legitimately not make the rotation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Cashman gets something good for RJ, I will be convinced he is a good GM who was ruined by Steinbrenner for a few years

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unit Deal Done By Next Week?
    29th December, 2006 - 8:23 am
    New York Daily News - Sources close to the negotiations said Thursday that the Yankees and Diamondbacks could complete a trade to send Randy Johnson back to Phoenix before next week.

Arizona sees Johnson as a big gate attraction and would discuss an extension with him, ensuring that he records his 300th win with the franchise.

The Yankees would like to get two of the following three prospects: Dustin Nippert, Micah Owings and Ross Ohlendorf.

The Padres, believed to be offering reliever Scott Linebrink, also have been involved, but the Yankees apparently prefer the players they might be able to pry from the Diamondbacks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan
    AND it costs you at least a portion of his $15.67M contract???
    According to reports, Cash has let teams know that they will have to pick up the whole bill. So it won't be a portion of that salary - it will be 100% of it.