Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katrina versus North Dakota

Hall Of Fame

Katrina versus North Dakota

Subject: A little snow in North Dakota
    Putting things in perspective. . . don't you think?

Weather Bulletin - North Dakota

THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT.

North Dakota News

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the western part of North Dakota state after a snowstorm.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here, in the Northern Plains, we just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV.

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5 snowstorm. Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Reilly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snowbound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to me.

Maybe SOME people will get the message. The world does Not owe you a living.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio]Subject: A little snow in North Dakota
    Putting things in perspective. . . don't you think?

Weather Bulletin - North Dakota

THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT.

North Dakota News

This text is from a county emergency manager out in the western part of North Dakota state after a snowstorm.

WEATHER BULLETIN

Up here, in the Northern Plains, we just recovered from a Historic event--- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90 MPH that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV.

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category 5 snowstorm. Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Reilly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No Geraldo Rivera.

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Striesand, No Hollywood types to be found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for a penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments delivered it to the snowbound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out of a mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades votes for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about 48 degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to me.

Maybe SOME people will get the message. The world does Not owe you a living.[/QUOTE]

I can't compare ND to NOLA. NOLA is/was a major business hub with a large population. In the business we call them an "NFL City".

I have personally lived thru bad ice storms. Last year in the SE USA we had the worst one. The same things that ND talks about happened here with no one showing up.

I also have lived thru a major hurricane in NOLA back in '98. None of the things that happened in Katrina happened then

Different agendas and a superficial reach to link it to Katrina. That was weak.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

New Orleans= welfare state....

ND= people who can actually do things for themselves....

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]New Orleans= welfare state....

ND= people who can actually do things for themselves....[/QUOTE]

Katrina - Worst disaster in history of USA - getting fed aid but not tmely due to inept republican admin

911 - Victim of a violent act of terror in USA - getting fed aid but not timely due to inept republican admin

ND?

Can't compare it as the argument is weak. Is NYC going to us the fed money?
    And also have they used the 40BB they got from Bush?

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]New Orleans= welfare state....

ND= people who can actually do things for themselves....[/QUOTE]

Mississippi didnt do too badly either.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Katrina - Worst disaster in history of USA - getting fed aid but not tmely due to inept republican admin[/QUOTE]

NO- city and state run by inept rats who hand out entitlements in return for votes....where's the mayor of the Chocolate city keeping the keys to the busses??

[QUOTE]911 - Victim of a violent act of terror in USA - getting fed aid but not timely due to inept republican admin[/QUOTE]

more ignorant leftist rant...did you lose anyone in 911?? I did:

[url]http://www.9-11memorialanthonyks.org/josephspor.htm[/url]

his wife and his family have had no problems getting any aid needed and niether have his fellow firefighters...oh but wait- that's probably 'cause they are white.. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]ND?

Can't compare it as the argument is weak. Is NYC going to us the fed money?
    And also have they used the 40BB they got from Bush?[/QUOTE]

usual non-sensical drivel.....

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]NO- city and state run by inept rats who hand out entitlements in return for votes....where's the mayor of the Chocolate city keeping the keys to the busses??

more ignorant leftist rant...did you lose anyone in 911?? I did:

[url]http://www.9-11memorialanthonyks.org/josephspor.htm[/url]

his wife and his family have had no problems getting any aid needed and niether have his fellow firefighters...oh but wait- that's probably 'cause they are white.. :rolleyes:

usual non-sensical drivel.....[/QUOTE]

Of course I lost some folks in the WTC

[url]http://www.september11victims.com/september11victims/VictimInfo.asp?ID=3835[/url]

Used to work together on the top floor of the WTC (110 Tower 2) and hang out on the weekends at his crib in Bensonhurst Bklyn. Very much missed. Ed was a ex-Sailor. Miss him much too.

[url]http://www.september11victims.com/september11victims/VictimInfo.asp?ID=1106[/url]

Clyde use to play ball with a few of my business partners back in the day. He is the son of Clyde the NY Knick guard. A few of my partners just heard of his passing in the past couple of years and found it hard to deal with.

The inept republican admin had a lot to do with the fed aid to the victims in NOLA getting there late. Remember "Brownie?"

Again, I can't compare ND to either of these disasters. It is not a fiar comparison.

this is a crazy comparison

was the snow in people's houses? ruining their lives?

if the people of ND had their houses under 10 feet of water and they didn't get any aid i would be very impressed

let's be real everyone in the state of ND who takes Medicaid or Social Security, or yes even Welfare is no better or worse than the Katrina victims.

here's something not on that ridiculous list

North Dakota state troopers didn't shoot any retarded North Dakotans

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/28/katrina.cops/index.html[/url]

People who choose to live in dangerous natural disaster areas get whats coming to them eventually. No one in America is forced to live someplace they don't want to. Not even the poor.

Don't like Hurricaines? Don't CHOOSE to live in Hurricaine alley.

Don't like Floods? Don't CHOOSE to live in the Mississippi Flood Plain.

Don;t like Earthquakes? Don't CHOOSE to live on a faultline.

Personal Responsabillity seems to have died a sad and quiet death a LOOOONG time ago. Sad, sad indeed.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti]this is a crazy comparison

was the snow in people's houses? ruining their lives?

if the people of ND had their houses under 10 feet of water and they didn't get any aid i would be very impressed

let's be real everyone in the state of ND who takes Medicaid or Social Security, or yes even Welfare is no better or worse than the Katrina victims.[/QUOTE]
    People in ND didn't go looking for handouts, they took care of themselves.

[QUOTE=Warfish]People who choose to live in dangerous natural disaster areas get whats coming to them eventually. No one in America is forced to live someplace they don't want to. Not even the poor.
    [/QUOTE]

i agree completely

the maker of this list should realize that a blizzard, while inconvenient is hardly a dangerous national disaster on the level of Katrina.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio]People in ND didn't go looking for handouts, they took care of themselves.[/QUOTE]

if the snow was 10 feet high inside their house and people were hiding in the attics to surivive, i bet their tune would change.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti]if the snow was 10 feet high inside their house and people were hiding in the attics to surivive, i bet their tune would change.[/QUOTE]
    The situations are quite similar. The big difference is that in ND the community took care of itself, and didn't ***** about "where is FEMA". No one spent $2000 on strip clubs or Gucci bags.

No one got on TV at the Astrodome three days later and complained "All I was given to eat for three days was water and crackers- no hot meal!" I know of people who travelled to Louisiana and Texas to provide assistance, and leaving after just two days because of the lack of gratitude and disrespect of those they came to help.

flushingjet
    FEMA didnt do such a hot job back in 1999 either.

"The Hurricane Floyd disaster was followed by what many judged to be a very slow federal response. Fully three weeks after the storm hit, [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Jackson"][color=#800080]Jesse Jackson[/color][/url] complained to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Emergency_Management_Agency"][color=#0000ff]FEMA[/color][/url] Director [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lee_Witt"][color=#0000ff]James Lee Witt[/color][/url] on his [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN"][color=#0000ff]CNN[/color][/url] program [i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Both_Sides_Now"][color=#800080]Both Sides Now[/color][/url][/i], "It seemed there was preparation for Hurricane Floyd, but then came Flood Floyd. Bridges are overwhelmed, levees are overwhelmed, whole towns under water ... [it's] an awesome scene of tragedy. So there's a great misery index in North Carolina." Witt responded, "We're starting to move the camper trailers in. It's been so wet it's been difficult to get things in there, but now it's going to be moving very quickly. And I think you're going to see a I think the people there will see a big difference [within] this next weekend!"
    [color=#800080][/color]
    [color=#800080][/color]
    [color=#800080][/color]
    [color=#800080][/color]

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio]The situations are quite similar. The big difference is that in ND the community took care of itself, and didn't ***** about "where is FEMA". No one spent $2000 on strip clubs or Gucci bags.

No one got on TV at the Astrodome three days later and complained "All I was given to eat for three days was water and crackers- no hot meal!" I know of people who travelled to Louisiana and Texas to provide assistance, and leaving after just two days because of the lack of gratitude and disrespect of those they came to help.[/QUOTE]

What's the state motto of North Dakota? "Irrational and delusional" or maybe "Desperate for attention"

cmon bro i've been through very bad blizzards you turn on the TV, light a fire and chill out. There are people running off the road and all sorts of nonsense but for the most part it's not analgous to waist high water on the second floor of your house.

comparing a blizzard to a category 5 hurricane/city flooding is not apples and oranges. North Dakota barely has any cities to be flooded, they may all take care of themselves but... why is that worthy of a celebration?

"oooh look at me we didn't spend 2000 FEMA dollars on strippers"

hey great. Congratu-friggin-lations.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti]What's the state motto of North Dakota? "Irrational and delusional" or maybe "Desperate for attention"

cmon bro i've been through very bad blizzards you turn on the TV, light a fire and chill out. There are people running off the road and all sorts of nonsense but for the most part it's not analgous to waist high water on the second floor of your house.

comparing a blizzard to a category 5 hurricane/city flooding is not apples and oranges. North Dakota barely has any cities to be flooded, they may all take care of themselves but... why is that worthy of a celebration?

"oooh look at me we didn't spend 2000 FEMA dollars on strippers"

hey great. Congratu-friggin-lations.[/QUOTE]

No one is celebrating, just stating facts. People should be responsible for themselves, and not always look for the government to bail them out.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio]No one is celebrating, just stating facts. People should be responsible for themselves, and not always look for the government to bail them out.[/QUOTE]

What about the sunami? A lot of govt's helped out there.

This is an unsustainable argument from ND.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=bitonti]North Dakota barely has any cities to be flooded, they may all take care of themselves [/QUOTE]

Again, untrue.

Guess you missed this:

[url="http://nd.water.usgs.gov/photos/1997RedFlood/"]http://nd.water.usgs.gov/photos/1997RedFlood/[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]What about the sunami? A lot of govt's helped out there.

This is an unsustainable argument from ND.[/QUOTE]
    First of all, it is "tsunami". Secondly, I don't understand what is the point of your response.