Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will there be an artic in 100 years?

will there be an artic in 100 years?

Ancient ice shelf snaps and breaks free from the Canadian Arctic
    Dec 28 6:41 PM US/Eastern

Ancient ice shelf snaps and breaks free from the Canadian Arctic STEVE LILLEBUEN (CP) - A giant ice shelf the size of 11,000 football fields has snapped free from Canada's Arctic, leaving a trail of icy boulders floating in its wake.
    The mass of ice broke clear from the coast of Ellesmere Island, about 800 kilometres south of the North Pole. Warwick Vincent of Laval University, who studies Arctic conditions, travelled to the newly formed ice island and couldn't believe what he saw. "It was extraordinary," Vincent said Thursday, adding that in 10 years of working in the region he has never seen such a dramatic loss of sea ice.

"This is a piece of Canadian geography that no longer exists."

The collapse was so powerful that earthquake monitors 250 kilometres away picked up tremors from it.

Scientists say it is the largest event of its kind in 30 years and point their fingers at climate change as a major contributing factor.

"We think this incident is consistent with global climate change," Vincent said, adding that the remaining ice shelves are 90 per cent smaller than when they were first discovered in 1906.

"We aren't able to connect all of the dots .�.�. but unusually warm temperatures definitely played a major role."

The ice shelf actually broke up 16 months ago, but no one witnessed the dramatic event.

Laurie Weir, who monitors ice conditions for the Canadian Ice Service, was poring over satellite images when she noticed that the shelf had split and separated.

Weir notified Luke Copland, head of the new global ice lab at the University of Ottawa, who initiated an effort to find out what happened.

Using U.S. and Canadian satellite images, as well as data from seismic monitors, Copland discovered that the ice shelf collapsed in the early afternoon of Aug. 13, 2005.

"These ice shelves can break up really quickly, perhaps more quickly than we thought they could do in the past," he said.

"Within an hour we could see this entire ice chunk just disconnect and float away."

Within days, the floating ice shelf had drifted a few kilometres offshore. It travelled west for 50 kilometres until it finally froze into the sea ice in the early winter.

Derek Mueller, a polar researcher with Vincent's team, saw that Ellesmere's Ward Hunt Ice Shelf had cracked in half in 2002. He also saw that sea ice, which creates a buffer zone around ice shelves, was approaching lower and lower levels.

"These ice shelves get weaker and weaker as the temperature rises," he said.

"And the summer of 2005 had a combination of high temperatures and strong winds that probably blew the sea ice away, making this ice shelf much more vulnerable."

The Ayles Ice Shelf, roughly 66 square kilometres in area, was one of six major ice shelves remaining in Canada's Arctic.

They are packed with ancient ice that dates back over 3000 years, and scientists like Vincent treat their loss as a sign that the global climate is crossing an unprecedented threshold.

"We're seeing the tragic loss of unique features of the Canadian landscape," he said.

"There are microscopic organisms and entire ecosystems associated with this ice, so we're losing a part of Canada's natural richness."

Meanwhile, the spring thaw may bring another concern as the warming temperatures could release the ice shelf from its Arctic grip.

Prevailing winds could then send the ice island southwards, deep into the Beaufort Sea.

"Over the next few years this ice island could drift into populated shipping routes," Weir said.

"There's significant oil and gas development in this region as well, so we'll have to keep monitoring its location over the next few years

The Whisper is getting louder!!!!!!

[QUOTE=bman]"It was extraordinary," Vincent said Thursday, adding that in 10 years of working in the region he has never seen such a dramatic loss of sea ice.[/QUOTE]

Well now, 10 years observations out of Billions of Years of History proves it.....this MUST mean the World is coming to an end, eh? :eek:

[QUOTE=Warfish]Well now, 10 years observations out of Billions of Years of History proves it.....this MUST mean the World is coming to an end, eh? :eek:[/QUOTE]

warfish won't believe in global warming until the coastlines are underwater

:D

[QUOTE=bitonti]warfish won't believe in global warming until the coastlines are underwater

:D[/QUOTE]

Eh, more water for the fishes.

What do I care, I'm not stupid or rich enough to own Coastal Property.

More Fishing Grounds for the Win!

(...and for the record, I believe in some aspects of Global Warming. I just don't subsribe the the Al Gore "It's All America's Fault" theory, nor the dire "It'll all be Destroyed in 5 Years" extremist viewpoint.)
    Last edited by Warfish; 12-29-2006 at 04:14 PM.

flushingjet
    No, but there will be an [u][b]Arctic[/b][/u] in 100 years.

Ice = Land?
    Is that what they teach in skool these days?

Next you'll be telling us Iceland is made of ice.

[QUOTE=Warfish]
    (...and for the record, I believe in some aspects of Global Warming. I just don't subsribe the the Al Gore "It's All America's Fault" theory, nor the dire "It'll all be Destroyed in 5 Years" extremist viewpoint.)[/QUOTE]

global warming isn't like religion

it's a matter of science not faith

you don't have to believe in anything ... nature doesn't care who believes in it.

[QUOTE=Warfish]Eh, more water for the fishes.

What do I care, I'm not stupid or rich enough to own Coastal Property.

More Fishing Grounds for the Win!

(...and for the record, I believe in some aspects of Global Warming. I just don't subsribe the the Al Gore "It's All America's Fault" theory, nor the dire "It'll all be Destroyed in 5 Years" extremist viewpoint.)[/QUOTE]

I'm not a global warming chicken little, but you really wouldn't care if the coasts went away? I don't own property there either, but the Jersey shore is still a hell of a place to visit.

Also, in many eastern coastal areas, most of the actual insurance paid on these properties are subsidized by the public, so they really aren't the stupid ones.

[QUOTE=bitonti]global warming isn't like religion

it's a matter of science not faith

you don't have to believe in anything ... nature doesn't care who believes in it.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, it also cares not a whit for those who [U]think[/U] they know everything about it either. Global Warming Extremists and Fringe folks are all but a Religion when it comes to bending true Science to fit their twisted political adgenda.

If you're implication here is that Al Gore et al. know everything there is to know about Climatology, and their dire predictions of the end of the world are 100% accurate, and cannot be questioned.......well, what can I say?

Whatever makes you happy in the morning bro. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound]I'm not a global warming chicken little, but you really wouldn't care if the coasts went away? I don't own property there either, but the Jersey shore is still a hell of a place to visit.

Also, in many eastern coastal areas, most of the actual insurance paid on these properties are subsidized by the public, so they really aren't the stupid ones.[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm Brooklyn, sarcasm........

[QUOTE=Warfish]
    If you're implication here is that Al Gore et al. know everything there is to know about Climatology, and their dire predictions of the end of the world are 100% accurate, and cannot be questioned.......well, what can I say?
    [/QUOTE]

how do you think that is my implication? That is the implication you want to assign to me.

I was here on this message board talking about Global Warming before Al Gore was losing Presidential elections. the die hards know it. and I was bashed mercilessly on this subject as well.

Here's the truth, as real as i said it 4 years ago, the only people that don't buy into global warming are capitalists who benefit from the status quo in terms of energy consumption. That's it. Every major real scientist has known it was real for years.

meanwhile your boy Bush barely acknowledges it as a problem, but he will declare Polar Bears endangered. THanks Dubya way to help out.

[QUOTE=bitonti]how do you think that is my implication? That is the implication you want to assign to me.

I was here on this message board talking about Global Warming before Al Gore was losing Presidential elections. the die hards know it. and I was bashed mercilessly on this subject as well.

Here's the truth, as real as i said it 4 years ago, the only people that don't buy into global warming are capitalists who benefit from the status quo in terms of energy consumption. That's it. Every major real scientist has known it was real for years.

meanwhile your boy Bush barely acknowledges it as a problem, but he will declare Polar Bears endangered. THanks Dubya way to help out.[/QUOTE]

So what? Answer me that Bit....so what? Do you think yourself noble somehow, because you care what the Earth will look like in 300 years? You're not. In any way.

So tell me Bit, why the **** should I care if the World takes the **** in 200 or 500 or 1000 years? One good reason, and maybe I'll give a ****.

Hall Of Fame
    We're All Going To Die From Global Warming!!!!!!!!!! Aaaarghhhhhhhh!!!!!!! Ice Has Never Melted Before And Species Have Never Died Out Or Had To Migrate Before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Save Us Al Gore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Only We Were All Brave Enough To Ride Bicycles To Work Like Bitonti!!!!!!!!! We Didn't Listen.....we Just Didn't Listen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENVIRONMENTAL ALARMISTS HAVE LITERALLY NEVER BEEN WRONG. I DON'T CARE IF I HAVE TO GO THE REST OF MY LIFE WITHOUT MEDICAL ATTENTION OR HEAT...PLEASE WON'T SOMEONE THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE!!!!????!???!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?
    Last edited by jets5ever; 12-29-2006 at 09:44 PM.

Dude,
    No one is saying we're all going to die..You can still be conservative and be concerned about GLobal Warming!!
    My God..

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bman]Dude,
    No one is saying we're all going to die..You can still be conservative and be concerned about GLobal Warming!!
    My God..[/QUOTE]

Then what are you saying?

Words cannot describe how much I don't care about "global warming" and I know more about it than you.

This is a bogeyman. You are so quick to think that George Bush scares voters about terrorism, yet you seem to think GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is some huge deal. It's HILARIOUS to me. So ridiculously stupid.......

First of all, I didn't give my opinion. I posted a fact about something.
    You have to be an idiot to not acknowledge the fact that something big is going on..I'm not advocating that we all should give up our cars! But something should be done. Is that so awful? Is that not something you can't get behind?

Is someone drinking tonight?

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Then what are you saying?

Words cannot describe how much I don't care about "global warming" and I know more about it than you.

This is a bogeyman. You are so quick to think that George Bush scares voters about terrorism, yet you seem to think GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is some huge deal. It's HILARIOUS to me. So ridiculously stupid.......[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=cr726]Is someone drinking tonight?[/QUOTE]

I am drinking actually. Good catch!!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing man!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bman]First of all, I didn't give my opinion. I posted a fact about something.
    You have to be an idiot to not acknowledge the fact that something big is going on..I'm not advocating that we all should give up our cars! But something should be done. Is that so awful? Is that not something you can't get behind?[/QUOTE]
    '

Something big? HOW THE F*CK DO YOU MAKE A STATEMENT LIKE THAT???

And what is "something?" Do you have any f*cking idea how wrong environmentalists have been over the years??

What are you, 22 years old? What thew f*ck do you know? Climate changes...it's not static. So the earth is either warming or cooling, that's part of the deal. Some absurd treary that no one follows won't do j-s about anything and the money and resources would be better spent finding ways to deal with climate change, bot positive and negative...both cooling and warming. But no, this new catastrophe has to be the bogeyman. At first, people ripped capitalism because it was "evil." Now, capitalism has worked and destroyed every other system...so, in order to bring it down and give governments more control over our lives, it has to be part of the narrative that capitalism destroys the planet. F*CKING RIDICULOUS.