Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: will there be an artic in 100 years?

dude,
    enjoy your booze..Are you one of those guys who gets drunk and turns into an a-hole?

[QUOTE=Warfish]Sarcasm Brooklyn, sarcasm........[/QUOTE]

I think I interpreted it that way when you said people who live on the coasts know what they are getting into... so I thought it was tied into people being stupid for living on the coast.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bman]dude,
    enjoy your booze..Are you one of those guys who gets drunk and turns into an a-hole?[/QUOTE]

Maybe he's one of those guys who gets drunk and turns into a b-man

[QUOTE=shakin318]Maybe he's one of those guys who gets drunk and turns into a b-man[/QUOTE]

not that funny dude...

[QUOTE=bitonti]warfish won't believe in global warming until the coastlines are underwater

:D[/QUOTE]

Believing in Global warming and deciding 1) It's our fault or 2) Through global public policy we can have a positive impact on it are two entirely different things.

If I'm not mistaken the clean air act that Bush's father signed that was passed by a Democratic Congress that Al Gore was part of destroyed the drinking water in several towns across the US when additives were put into gas to control emissions ended up contaminating ground water.

I have yet to see the Democrats ask the Commerce department to slap a tariff on imported oil coming in from Cartel member States. When they do, I will support them in signing global treaties. At this point the screaming by people like Gore is still about politics not about policy.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=Jets Babe]everyone needs to see the movie, an inconvenient truth[/QUOTE]

just like everyone needs to see the movie [b]The Hellstrom Chronicle-[/b]
    you know, the one where in a future despoiled earth insects take over

dont have time to let crackpot theories inconvenience me.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]No, but there will be an [u][b]Arctic[/b][/u] in 100 years.

Ice = Land?
    Is that what they teach in skool these days?

Next you'll be telling us Iceland is made of ice.[/QUOTE]

Oh great genius...please do tell us. How much "land" is in the arctic?
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 01-02-2007 at 08:33 AM.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]Oh great genius...please do tell us. How much "land" is in the arctic?[/QUOTE]

This may help you out.
    [url="http://www.grida.no/geo/geo3/english/173.htm"]http://www.grida.no/geo/geo3/english/173.htm[/url]

Go back and read the article again.
    It states "...mass of ice broke clear from the coast of Ellesmere Island"
    and more inanely, "This is a piece of Canadian geography that no longer exists"

I love the creativity
    of Global Warming nuts....now they think frozen water = soil!

you too can save the Arctic...go off and install some icemakers to
    build it back up.

"Half the people in the world live within 15 miles of a coastline.

[url]http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article2116874.ece[/url]

TMahoney
    Global Warming is bad.

I sunburn easily.

:eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=flushingjet]...you too can save the Arctic...go off and install some icemakers to build it back up.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.2dive4.net/images/amenities/icemaker.jpg[/IMG]

400,000,000 more of these and Mr. Polar Bear will have a place to fish from again...

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan][url="http://www.2dive4.net/images/amenities/icemaker.jpg"]http://www.2dive4.net/images/amenities/icemaker.jpg[/url]

400,000,000 more of these and Mr. Polar Bear will have a place to fish from again...[/QUOTE]

No, no I meant these,
    [url="http://www.vivian-ice-machines.com/"]http://www.vivian-ice-machines.com/[/url]

If these puppies run on solar power you'll
    have ice to spare, even when the midnight sun kicks in.

Jets Insider VIP
    [IMG]http://www.vogtice.com/products_picts/TubeIce/p34al_15.jpg[/IMG] [url]http://www.vogtice.com/vogt_ice/tube/p34al_15.html[/url]

This sucker can make 110 Tons of ice a day...That's nutser!

World faces hottest year ever

As the new year was ushered in with stormy conditions across the UK, the forecast for the next 12 months is of extreme global weather patterns which could bring drought to Indonesia and leave California under a deluge.

The warning, from Professor Phil Jones, director of the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, was one of four sobering predictions from senior scientists and forecasters that 2007 will be a crucial year for determining the response to global warming and its effect on humanity.

[url]http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article2116873.ece[/url]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bman]First of all, I didn't give my opinion. I posted a fact about something.
    You have to be an idiot to not acknowledge the fact that something big is going on..I'm not advocating that we all should give up our cars! But something should be done. Is that so awful? Is that not something you can't get behind?[/QUOTE]

Not much is going to happen unless you can convince basically everyone who has great deals of money to give up neo-liberalist thinking which wants governments to get out of the way and let the market dictate how things go. Great in theory, but the examples we see in real life are seeing just the opposite.

Just imagine, we have consumed more resources in the past 50 years than in the previous 10,000 years of man-kind, and many think there is nothing wrong with this.
    But as I stated, nothing is going to change so long as capitalism, world global economies, and world government is what we strive for.
    Gee Bman, I would think prophecy would interest you, since this is all talked about in some form of ancient text you like to quote from time to time. ;)

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve]Not much is going to happen unless you can convince basically everyone who has great deals of money to give up neo-liberalist thinking which wants governments to get out of the way and let the market dictate how things go. Great in theory, but the examples we see in real life are seeing just the opposite.

Just imagine, we have consumed more resources in the past 50 years than in the previous 10,000 years of man-kind, and many think there is nothing wrong with this.
    But as I stated, nothing is going to change so long as capitalism, world global economies, and world government is what we strive for.
    Gee Bman, I would think prophecy would interest you, since this is all talked about in some form of ancient text you like to quote from time to time. ;)[/QUOTE]

Capitalism and the World Global economy has also have increased the human life span, the population, and the standard of living of almost every society that participates in Capitalism and the World Global economy.

We used to burn Coal at incredible rates world wide, we used to slaughter Whales almost to the point of extinction to light our cities. We had horse ****, garbage, flies and disease everywhere. The idea that through Government coresion that we will more efficiently use our resources or overcome global warming or any number of issues is highly suspect.

I put a lot more faith in science, self interest and freedom solving the issues of the day than either secular government or religius persecution or force.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 01-04-2007 at 11:29 AM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs]Capitalism and the World Global economy has also have increased the human life span, the population, and the standard of living of almost every society that participates in Capitalism and the World Global economy.

We used to burn Coal at incredible rates world wide, we used to slaughter Whales almost to the point of extinction to light our cities. We had horse ****, garbage, flies and disease everywhere. The idea that through Government coresion that we will more efficiently use our resources or overcome global warming or any number of issues is highly suspect.

I put a lot more faith in science, self interest and freedom solving the issues of the day than either secular government or religius persecution or force.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Winston, I disagree. There is absolutely NO way capitalism has raised the standard of living. There is more poverty then we have ever experienced, and that is not going to change when poor countries need to beg the IMF for funds, then have to sign structural adjustment agreements which opens them up to excelerated unrestricted capitalism. Developing country poor debt has gone from around 700 billion to over 2,000 billion since the inception of this brilliant idea.

And self interest as understood in capitalism (brought to us by Adam Smith) was never intended to include Corporate rule. He firmly believed that fair competition was in order so people could make the best decisions. That just does not happen. How the corporate rule and the neo-liberal indeologies want the government to step aside, lower taxes, deregulate environmental concerns etc...but cry the first minute the economy takes a down turn...

And you can believe in science all you want, but to let this stuff run free in the name of "growth," "liberation," "education," "freedom," or any other adjective without the equalizing of moral value by either religion or the discernment of "grey" issues that philosophy and logic can provide, this is a train wreck of epic proportions that is going to happen. Probably not in our lifetime, but you cannot expect unlimited growth potential for the economy that esentially all comes from a limited growth planet....ain't gonna work.

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve]Sorry Winston, I disagree. There is absolutely NO way capitalism has raised the standard of living. There is more poverty then we have ever experienced, and that is not going to change when poor countries need to beg the IMF for funds, then have to sign structural adjustment agreements which opens them up to excelerated unrestricted capitalism. Developing country poor debt has gone from around 700 billion to over 2,000 billion since the inception of this brilliant idea.

And self interest as understood in capitalism (brought to us by Adam Smith) was never intended to include Corporate rule. He firmly believed that fair competition was in order so people could make the best decisions. That just does not happen. How the corporate rule and the neo-liberal indeologies want the government to step aside, lower taxes, deregulate environmental concerns etc...but cry the first minute the economy takes a down turn...

And you can believe in science all you want, but to let this stuff run free in the name of "growth," "liberation," "education," "freedom," or any other adjective without the equalizing of moral value by either religion or the discernment of "grey" issues that philosophy and logic can provide, this is a train wreck of epic proportions that is going to happen. Probably not in our lifetime, but you cannot expect unlimited growth potential for the economy that esentially all comes from a limited growth planet....ain't gonna work.[/QUOTE]

People by pursuing a better quality of life will also include the pursuit of philosophy, religion, art and literature along with science and economics.

There is no question that the standard of living, infant mortality, life expectancy have all increased when humanity has pursued a better life by being unencumbered by tyranny whether religious or political. In the last 10 years world wide poverty rates have decreased significantly in most of the world with the exception of Africa and Central Asia.