Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Betrayal of the Big Easy

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]honestly im not sure - but if they were it was an economic not a racial decision

the last couple times this happened the unfortunate victims were poor whites

there could have been purple people living in the 9th ward, the people of new orleans have proven that they will flood lower lying areas to preserve the historical districts.[/QUOTE]

Frankly Bit, in reading your last two posts, it very much looks and sounds like you DO believe it was on purpose. You've cited historical precident that would back such a belief, and you've cited eveidence as you see it, and questioned the "official word", both of which would also back up such a belief. I havn't seen a word stateing why you don't believe it to be so.

So what is it? Are you simply afriad to say it out loud that you believe it?

Fine, you're "unsure". Do you then believe MORE that it WAS destroyed on purpose, or beleive MORE that it was not?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

New Orleans Levee Break(s) Before and After

[url]http://www.kathryncramer.com/kathryn_cramer/2005/08/new_orleans_lev.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    warfish just in case you didn't know, here's a little history:

During the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927, a Mississippi River levee was blown up in Caernarvon, St. Bernard Parish, a rural area below the city in an effort to protect the city itself from dangerously high waters.

During Hurricane Betsy in 1965, a breach in the Industrial Canal flooded the Lower 9th Ward. Persistent stories alleged that the levee was blown up to save more valuable land on the other side of the Canal.

so are we really gonna sit there and say that the residents blew up the levees a third time is so unrealistic?

the fact is i don't know what happened, im not sure we will ever know with proof... but i believe it is a distinct possibility - that's the most definative answer I can give.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]warfish just in case you didn't know, here's a little history:

During the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927, a Mississippi River levee was blown up in Caernarvon, St. Bernard Parish, a rural area below the city in an effort to protect the city itself from dangerously high waters.

During Hurricane Betsy in 1965, a breach in the Industrial Canal flooded the Lower 9th Ward. Persistent stories alleged that the levee was blown up to save more valuable land on the other side of the Canal.

so are we really gonna sit there and say that the residents blew up the levees a third time is so unrealistic?

the fact is i don't know what happened, im not sure we will ever know with proof... but i believe it is a distinct possibility - that's the most definative answer I can give.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the History Lesson. So you do believe it [U]more likely[/U] that the Levee was destroyed on purpose, as opposed to being destroyed by the natural cause of the Hurricaine/Flood.

Thanks Bit, you could have just said that the first time. :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]warfish just in case you didn't know, here's a little history:

the fact is i don't know what happened, im not sure we will ever know with proof... but i believe it is a distinct possibility - that's the most definative answer I can give.[/QUOTE]

right....

and flight 93 was blown out of the sky.....

and the real Sadaam was dead years ago; the one found guilty at the recent trial was an imposter....

and the officials were on the take in the Jets/Cleveland game earlier this year....

nothing to back it up but that's probably what happened...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey man i call em like i see em

there's more pride to be had in doing that than in mimicking fox news or whoever.

as for this specific situation the historical context cannot be ignored, that's really my point - people talk alot of smack but how many knew the history?

however the history alone is not proof.

Warfish I really don't know which outcome is more likely, im sorry if you demand a definative answer but i can't supply one at this time. as you know I rely on my gut instinct in situations like these and right now my gut instinct is reading "outlook hazy try again later"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]hey man i call em like i see em

there's more pride to be had in doing that than in mimicking fox news or whoever.

as for this specific situation the historical context cannot be ignored, that's really my point - people talk alot of smack but how many knew the history?

however the history alone is not proof.

Warfish I really don't know which outcome is more likely, im sorry if you demand a definative answer but i can't supply one at this time. as you know I rely on my gut instinct in situations like these and right now my gut instinct is reading "outlook hazy try again later"[/QUOTE]

Bit, stop, please. If you make me laugh any harder, my milk may actually fly from my nose.

You have been VERY clear here as to which scenario you think is more likely to be true. You simply don't want to say it, either so you cannot be held to it at some later point, or have it used against you, or to be branded a tin-foil-hat conspiracy theorist by other posters.

So you sidestep the question, all the while posting all the great proof as to why it WAS purposely destroyed, but when called on it you start mumbling about "uncertainty".

You're not uncertain, and your opinion shines through in your posts. If you wish to keep posting all the many reason why you think it was blown up on purpose, while saying you're unsure, be my guest. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    listen you want me to say what i think, i tell you what i think and it's not good enough for you? You should know me well enough by now to know im not going to pull a punch so that people cannot hold me to something later.

why am I the one on trial? what do you believe warfish? did you know the levees were blown up twice in the 20th century? until recently i didn't

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]listen you want me to say what i think, i tell you what i think and it's not good enough for you? You should know me well enough by now to know im not going to pull a punch so that people cannot hold me to something later.

why am I the one on trial? what do you believe warfish? did you know the levees were blown up twice in the 20th century? until recently i didn't[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think you're "pulling punches" on saying what you really believe.

No, I do not think the levees were blown up. I have seen no evidence of such a conspiracy.

No, I did not know of the rumours and conspiracy theories regarding previous levee destructions.

And you're not on trial Bit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]
    No, I did not know of the rumours and conspiracy theories regarding previous levee destructions.
    [/QUOTE]

these are not rumors - the 1927 incident is historical fact - the 1965 incident is widely accepted but never officially confirmed. the 2006 blow up is the only "rumor" - how can Americans not know that this happened twice before? It's history!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]these are not rumors - the 1927 incident is historical fact - the 1965 incident is widely accepted but never officially confirmed. the 2006 blow up is the only "rumor" - how can Americans not know that this happened twice before? It's history![/QUOTE]

OK, link your source then please, and I will persue it further.

Edit: Although I must say Wikipedia has a very interesting article on both the Katrina event, and the some of the theories as to how and why:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_theories_regarding_Hurricane_Katrina[/url]

And of course, the main article here:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levee_failures_in_Greater_New_Orleans%2C_2005[/url]
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-04-2007 at 03:11 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    here is a US Army Corps of Engineers picture of the 1927 blow up

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1927_flood_Caernarvon_levee_dynamite_St._Bernard_Parish.png[/url]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]here is a US Army Corps of Engineers picture of the 1927 blow up

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1927_flood_Caernarvon_levee_dynamite_St._Bernard_Parish.png[/url][/QUOTE]

Thank you, but that is not what I asked for. Wikipedia (which I linked in the post directly above yours) confirms the accuracy of the 1927 Levee Breach Event, and also goes on to explain about it in detail.

[QUOTE]As the flood approached New Orleans, Louisiana, 30 tons of dynamite were set off on the levee at Caernarvon, Louisiana and sent 7,000 m/s (250,000 ft/s) of water pouring through. This prevented New Orleans from experiencing serious damage, but flooded much of St. Bernard Parish and all of Plaquemines Parish's east bank. As it turned out, the destruction of the Caernarvon levee was unnecessary; several major levee breaks well upstream of New Orleans, including one the day after the demolitions, made it impossible for flood waters to seriously threaten the city. There is some belief that the purpose the levee explosion was to save the wealthier parts of the city by directing the flow of water to the more blighted communities.[/QUOTE]

Please note that it says "Belief" regarding the motivations behind the purpose of the levee breach. Belief does not equal fact Bit. People "believe" in Aliens, God and a few hundred thousand other equally unproven things. I need more that conspiacy theioy "belief" before I view something as true.

So please, link your PROOF for the reasons behind the 1927 Event, and your PROOF of the 1965 Event, and your PROOF of the Katrina Event motivations.

After all, you have your reasons for believing in this "faith" as it were, so show it to us. What have you read that so convinced you that these events were conscious efforts to kill the poor and save the rich?

Again, links please.