Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hussein Obama- First a Junkie then a baby killer

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Hussein Obama- First a Junkie then a baby killer

heir hillary will have a field day with this....

[B]Obama's candor may be issue
    His admission of drug use could get a closer look if candidacy unfolds[/B]

By LOIS ROMANO
    Washington Post

WASHINGTON Long before the national media spotlight began to shine on him, Barack Obama had this to say about himself: "Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed: the final, fatal role of the young would-be black man. ... I got high (to) push questions of who I was out of my mind."

The Democratic senator from Illinois and likely presidential candidate offered the confession in a memoir written 11 years ago, not long after he graduated from law school and well before he contemplated life on the national stage. At the time, 20,000 copies were printed and the book seemed destined for obscurity.

Today, Obama, 45, is near the top of the polls of potential Democratic presidential contenders, and Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance has regularly been on the best-seller lists, with 800,000 copies in print. Taken along with his latest best-seller, The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream, Obama has become a publishing phenomenon.

Once a benign issue

Obama's revelations were not an issue during his Senate campaign two years ago. But now his narrative of early, bad choices, including drug use starting in high school and ending in college, as well as his tortured search for racial identity, are sure to receive new scrutiny.

As a potential candidate, Obama has presented himself as a fresh voice offering a politics of hope. Many say he offers something new in American politics: an black American who has so far demonstrated broad appeal. What remains to be seen is whether the candor he offered in his early memoir will be greeted with a new-style acceptance by voters.

It was not so long ago that such blunt admissions would have led to a candidate's undoing, and there is uneasiness in Democratic circles that Dreams From My Father will provide a blueprint for negative attacks.

Two decades ago, Judge Douglas Ginsburg of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit was forced to withdraw as a nominee for the Supreme Court after reports surfaced that he had used marijuana while he was a law professor. As a presidential candidate, Bill Clinton thought marijuana use could be enough of a liability in 1992 that he felt compelled to say he had not inhaled. And President Bush has deflected endless gossip about his past by acknowledging that he had an "irresponsible" youth but offering no details.

Through his book, Obama has become the first potential presidential contender to admit trying cocaine.

Books often sanitized

"I believe what the country is looking for is someone who is open, honest and candid about themselves rather than someone who seems endlessly driven by polls or focus groups," said Robert Gibbs, Obama's spokesman. Gibbs said Tuesday that Obama was not available for an interview.

Presidential aspirants tend to write more sanitized books for use as campaign tools. Faith of My Fathers by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., depicts his family's history of military service. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., has reissued It Takes a Village, which offers her views about child-rearing in contemporary society. In fact, Obama's latest book, Audacity of Hope, gives policy positions.

But Dreams From My Father is not like that. Obama wrote the highly personal book when he was in his early 30s, after being approached by a publisher when he became the first black person elected editor of the Harvard Law Review.

"This is not the kind of book you would ever expect a politician to write," said GOP consultant Alex Vogel.

In fact, Bush himself has been a beneficiary of those sympathies. He has suffered little criticism from his conservative base after acknowledging that he drank too much in the past and is now a teetotaler.

Consequences uncertain

Obama's partisan opponents and experts said it is too early to know whether the admissions will be a liability because the public seems to be enthusiastically embracing his openness at this point. What's more, they note that it is better for a politician to disclose his own transgressions, rather than be put on the defensive by revelations.

A senior Republican strategist who will be advising a GOP presidential candidate in 2008 said he did not see anything in the book that would be a "disqualifier," but he cautioned that Obama has not yet gone through an intense vetting process and that a problem could arise if there is more to his story than he has chosen to share. The strategist, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, also suggested that there will be high tolerance for marijuana use among voters because many baby boomers probably tried the drug in the '60s.

"Who's going to cast that first stone?" asked Anita Dunn, a veteran Democratic political consultant, who has advised Obama's political committee.

[url]http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/4440273.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it that republicans attempt to demonize an individual?

Bush never used drugs? Bush never drank? Bush never got 3000+ Americans killed over a lie or worse a bunch of lies?

C'mon playa.....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Why is it that republicans attempt to demonize an individual?

Bush never used drugs? Bush never drank? Bush never got 3000+ Americans killed over a lie or worse a bunch of lies?

C'mon playa.....[/QUOTE]

demonize???

stating verbatim what Hussien Obama said about himself or bringing to forefront his voting history is deomonization???

for such a independent, well researched porgressive thinker as you claim to be you really are quite thin skinned about the truth of your heros...

and btw: you've got as much chance providing evidence that GWB used drugs as you have showing Olberwoman is beating O'Rielly in the ratings or Chrissy Matthews is a Republican...basically none...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]demonize???

stating verbatim what Hussien Obama said about himself or bringing to forefront his voting history is deomonization???

for such a independent, well researched porgressive thinker as you claim to be you really are quite thin skinned about the truth of your heros...

and btw: you've got as much chance providing evidence that GWB used drugs as you have showing Olberwoman is beating O'Rielly in the ratings or Chrissy Matthews is a Republican...basically none...[/QUOTE]

:yes: :yes: :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/485008p-408347c.html[/url]

Also, at this point how can Rudy be trusted with Top Gov't Secrets?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obama is too liberal for my tastes, but I have no problem with him being a former pothead.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Non issue IMO.

Clinton smoked Pot and (lol) didn't inhale.

Bush was a Drunk till he found God.

And Obama smoked Pot too, but (lol) actually inhaled.

So what? I fail to see an issue here, but I suppose the ultra-conservative anti-drug moralists might have an issue drum to beat, but I don;t see it being a major popular issue in 2008.

Unless, of course, there is more to the story than just that.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]Obama is too liberal for my tastes, but I have no problem with him being a former pothead.[/QUOTE]

pothead is one thing- he a self-admitted junkie (aka coke)...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]pothead is one thing- he a self-admitted junkie (aka coke)...[/QUOTE]

Again your extremist views are presented. Obama is/was not a 'junkie' he used coke.

There is a difference. Moreover, I think that Rudy losing the secrects is more dangerous to the people of the USA and perhaps other nations.

As President, you would want one to be more careful...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]pothead is one thing- he a self-admitted junkie (aka coke)...[/QUOTE]

Yup, he was. Not anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Non issue IMO.

So what? I fail to see an issue here, but I suppose the ultra-conservative anti-drug moralists might have an issue drum to beat, but I don;t see it being a major popular issue in 2008.

Unless, of course, there is more to the story than just that.[/QUOTE]

Bingo, this is the difference between a conservative and a partisan.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only thing this thread proves to me is that conservatives are legitimately scared of Obama in 08.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Again your extremist views are presented. Obama is/was not a 'junkie' he used coke.

There is a difference. Moreover, I think that Rudy losing the secrects is more dangerous to the people of the USA and perhaps other nations.

As President, you would want one to be more careful...[/QUOTE]

Once again your ignorance shines brightly...

I did not call him a junkie- it is a term he used to refer to himself...

I know your mind is clouded with all kinds of BS so I will re-post the first paragraph from the story and highlight the issue to clear it up for your simple mind....

[QUOTE]Long before the national media spotlight began to shine on him, [B]Barack Obama had this to say about himself: "Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed: [/B] the final, fatal role of the young would-be black man. ... I got high (to) push questions of who I was out of my mind."
    [/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]Once again your ignorance shines brightly...

I did not call him a junkie- it is a term he used to refer to himself...

I know your mind is clouded with all kinds of BS so I will re-post the first paragraph from the story and highlight the issue to clear it up for your simple mind....[/QUOTE]

[I][B]That's where I'd been headed[/B][/I]

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Non-issue, nothing to see here.

Many Presidents have had their demons, between women (Clinton, FDR, really too many to name), alcohol (Bush), and drugs (JFK used a cocktail of illicit painkillers on a daily basis while in office).

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Again your extremist views are presented. Obama is/was not a 'junkie' he used coke.

As President, you would want one to be more careful...[/QUOTE]

Wow, do you even think before you post things?

And one of Rudy's aids lost his dossier of campaign plans, not ****ing nuclear launch codes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]Wow, do you even think before you post things?

And one of Rudy's aids lost his dossier of campaign plans, not ****ing nuclear launch codes.[/QUOTE]

Could you have been provided 'bad intelligence?"

Bottom line Rudy is responsible for the information. Hey, I had Rudy as my front runner republican....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]Non-issue, nothing to see here.

Many Presidents have had their demons, between women (Clinton, FDR, really too many to name), alcohol (Bush), and drugs (JFK used a cocktail of illicit painkillers on a daily basis while in office).[/QUOTE]

the issue is the liberal media is publicizing hussien obama as the next coming- the shining star with no dents....

his liberal rivals will jump all over this starting next January...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Could you have been provided 'bad intelligence?"

Bottom line Rudy is responsible for the information. Hey, I had Rudy as my front runner republican....[/QUOTE]

Do you have any idea how many aids this guy has? He doesn't run the presidential campaign all by himself.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Non issue IMO.

Unless, of course, there is more to the story than just that.[/QUOTE]

still waiting for Clintons medical records.

yeah, drugs are a victimless crime, we know.