Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerry's line works! scared straight!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Kerry's line works! scared straight!

So i have this niece who is just entering high school. Incredibly smart but her teachers say she is lazy, disinterested etc. She's actually getting Ds which in that school can fail you right out.

Over thanksgiving I sat her down and talked to her about the world. Trying to tell this girl that no one cares how smart you are, they only care about how hard you want to work... im telling how hard it is out there... basically everything i can think of - and i can tell she's not really interested. Im talking she's thinking about Ipod playlists or whatever 14 year old girls think about. I get a little disgusted. out of nowhere Kerry's line about Iraq pops into my mind and out my mouth (paraphrased).

I told her don't worry she can go down the current road she is on, and at the end of it the US Army would be happy to have her and ship her off to Iraq. The Army doesn't care what grades you get, i say. They will have a uniform all pressed up with your name on it and ready to go for your 18th birthday.

she basically looked shocked, listened for a few more minutes and then we had dinner with the family.

What happens?

She got her final report card in, from midterm Ds she got straight Bs and 1 C in religion

What's funny about this situation is that I said that line ironically, but she never heard it before. It worked! It was a line that got alot of flack for Kerry but trust me that line works. No one wants to get stuck in Iraq. I asked her what was different at xmas and she said I didn't want to go to Iraq.

Kerry's line is brilliant! it should be on inspirational billboards in every high school in America. We finally have something that can give our kids the edge over the Indians and Asians - a failed war to scare them straight!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.

Do you have any respect for our armed forces? Or is it just a refuge for flunkies and dropouts?

You should be telling your niece that our army is one of the most well-trained and bravest in the world, willing to follow orders and protect US citizens as well as each other in the face of death. That they have an undying love and passion for the principles and ideals of this country, and that even though there have been many failed military endeavors in the past, our army is still very highly respected and revered.

Kerry deserved the flack that he got.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm interested Dawgg, how does this make YOU feel?

Proud of your choice to serve? Or no?

You served. Most of us didn't. Like this particular War or not, how does a choice of service (or more truthfully in Bit/Kerry's view, a threat that only stupid people or failures end up in the Millitary, usually against their will) make you feel?

Or do you agree with Bit? That the Millitary is a last choice refuge for our failures and ignorant? That people do not choose to serve, but instead are forced to due to their own failings in life.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd also like to know what Dawgg has to say about it. And I hope he doesn't resort to a USMC vs. Army comparison.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    look this is a true story 100% you can read into it what you want

my point was not that people in the military are stupid or that John Kerry is smart.

My only point was that my niece was practically failing out of school, now she's on the road to college, and the Kerry line actually worked!

you can say what you want about the war, politics in general and John Kerry in specific but the bottom line is the threat of sending undermotivated teens to war in Iraq is my experience a highly effective motivational tool. Faced with the grim reality of fighting for Bush's war on terror, this girl who was motivated by nothing else previously turned the corner. I was suprised, honestly i expected to see her on xmas looking for a new school.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]Do you have any respect for our armed forces? [/QUOTE]

for the record Bitonti's have served in the US Army in every major conflict since WWI, and I have cousins in Iraq, right now.

So please stop with this. I have alot of respect for the military. That's not what this post is about.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]Wow.

Do you have any respect for our armed forces? Or is it just a refuge for flunkies and dropouts?

You should be telling your niece that our army is one of the most well-trained and bravest in the world, willing to follow orders and protect US citizens as well as each other in the face of death. That they have an undying love and passion for the principles and ideals of this country, and that even though there have been many failed military endeavors in the past, our army is still very highly respected and revered.

.[/QUOTE]

another Repub who likes to talk the talk but doesnt walk the walk,,, but at least you arent like your boy Frank who reportedly got out of the WW2 draft by paying the Army board $40,000

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]for the record Bitonti's have served in the US Army in every major conflict since WWI, and I have cousins in Iraq, right now.

So please stop with this. I have alot of respect for the military. That's not what this post is about.[/QUOTE]

Well then I apologize for my comment. Don't you think it's a shame that Kerry's line actually worked?

Look, we all know the War in Iraq is a disaster, but joining a centuries-old, well respected tradition like the US Army shouldn't be seen as a threat.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Renaissance10]another Repub who likes to talk the talk but doesnt walk the walk[/QUOTE]

What does that even mean? I'm not a draft-dodger. There's no draft to dodge.

I went to college because I had no interest or desire in joining the military -- but that doesn't mean I have no respect for the US military tradition. These guys are the bravest people in the world, what's not to admire? Honestly, I don't think I'd have the balls to do it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]Well then I apologize for my comment. Don't you think it's a shame that Kerry's line actually worked?

Look, we all know the War in Iraq is a disaster, but joining a centuries-old, well respected tradition like the US Army shouldn't be seen as a threat.[/QUOTE]

Why apologize? Having ancestors or cousins in the Millitary means nothing whatsoever. It's easy to say it means something to you, a different thing altogether to actually mean it.

Bit was very clear....the Millitary is a path for stupid ignorant failures, and he used that belief of his to motivate his little D student of a niece to be less of a failure. Good for her.

Doesn't seem to me like he respects the Millitary at all, family history or not.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]Well then I apologize for my comment. Don't you think it's a shame that Kerry's line actually worked?

Look, we all know the War in Iraq is a disaster, but joining a centuries-old, well respected tradition like the US Army shouldn't be seen as a threat.[/QUOTE]

you are right, it's a shame. you are right, it shouldn't be a threat...

but our President has abused the US Army (and Marines, and Nat'l Guard) to the point of breaking and this week's announcements will make it clear that he's not done yet.

I don't really know what my larger point is, i just thought it was a funny story. Note that I said the line from the perspective of someone who watches the news everyday and i meant it as a lighthearted joke... she (being an 8th grade D student) had literally never heard it before so i got to see the full impact - and it was a full impact! I pretty much thought she was a lost cause when i gave my little speech... the Kerry line was the turning point - you could see the fear in her little eyes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]
    Doesn't seem to me like he respects the Millitary at all, family history or not.[/QUOTE]

hey fish if you were 10 years younger, had good knees would you join the Army now?

if you have kids would you want them to join the Army now?

hint: answering no doesn't make you a traitor or any less respectful. It's called being real.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]I don't really know what my larger point is[/QUOTE]

Don't worry Bit. We do. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Don't worry Bit. We do. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

you like to think you do - if you want to remember anything about me, remember that i subscribe to Orwell's line "a foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]hey fish if you were 10 years younger, had good knees would you join the Army now?

if you have kids would you want them to join the Army now?

hint: answering no doesn't make you a traitor or any less respectful. It's called being real.[/QUOTE]

Nope, I wouldn't have. And I cannot say what I would want from Kids, as I have never even considered having any, and in fact am dead set against having any.

How that is relevant in any form to you calling the Millitary a path for stupid ignorant failures, and using that belief as a motivational tool, I simply fail to see.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]
    How that is relevant in any form to you calling the Millitary a path for stupid ignorant failures, and using that belief as a motivational tool, I simply fail to see.[/QUOTE]

I never said that, you are putting words in my mouth. All i said was Kerry's line worked. It was supposed to be a funny story. I guess you had to be there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]It was supposed to be a funny story.[/QUOTE]

Saying our Millitary is a path for stupid ignorant failures wasn't funny when Kerry said it, and it wasn't funny here either Bit.

Your unending hatred of Bush and this War have blinded you to simple courtesy and appreciation and logic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]you like to think you do - if you want to remember anything about me, remember that i subscribe to Orwell's line "a foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds"[/QUOTE]

"With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do". Emerson
    My high school English teacher was the best.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    These are some of the sad facts that occur when public (Kerry) figures say things.

I don't think that bi meant that Military folks are dumb. I think that he was using or looking for some motivation.

It was motiviating, however, there are others tools of motiviation for students.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]I don't think that bit meant that Military folks are dumb..[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Bitonti]I told her don't worry she can go down the current road she is on (lazy, disinterested...getting Ds......failing right out), and at the end of it the US Army would be happy to have her.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how ANY other meaning can be inferred here. Bit is saying that the only option for lazy, stupid failures like his Niece is the Millitary.

I hope that makes you proud Dawgg. :( If you're not angry, you'd be the first Marine I ever met who would take a quote like that and not be angry. And I've known quite a few Marines. Even the flamingly liberal ones (and there were a few) wouldn't have accepted such a statement.