Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerry's line works! scared straight!

warfish if you actually read my post carefully you would notice that I described my niece as very intelligent - i never said the army was for stupid people, you said that

there is a huge difference between lazy and stupid. Sometimes kids get confused and make no decisions instead of good ones.

note also that I was using Kerry's line in the way in which I believe Kerry meant it not his bullcrap apology version how it's about the President. I have no delusions about John Kerry's honesty or character, they are both below par.

I was trying to make a newsy joke with a young person who never watches the news and the impact was unexpected.

[QUOTE=bitonti]warfish if you actually read my post carefully you would notice that I described my niece as very intelligent - i never said the army was for stupid people, you said that

there is a huge difference between lazy and stupid. Sometimes kids get confused and make no decisions instead of good ones.

note also that I was using Kerry's line in the way in which I believe Kerry meant it not his bullcrap apology version how it's about the President. I have no delusions about John Kerry's honesty or character, they are both below par.

I was trying to make a newsy joke with a young person who never watches the news and the impact was unexpected.[/QUOTE]

Fine, fine, whatever you say Bit. You love the Millitary. You would never call them stupid. Fine.

Having actually been in the military, I have to say Bit is right on with what he has posted.

[QUOTE=cr726]Having actually been in the military, I have to say Bit is right on with what he has posted.[/QUOTE]

which is what?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti]for the record Bitonti's have served in the US Army in every major conflict since WWI, and I have cousins in Iraq, right now.

So please stop with this. I have alot of respect for the military. That's not what this post is about.[/QUOTE]

stop what? you told your niece if she fails out of school she'll have to join the military?? that's how you show your respect....

[QUOTE=bitonti]look this is a true story 100% you can read into it what you want

my point was not that people in the military are stupid or that John Kerry is smart.

My only point was that my niece was practically failing out of school, now she's on the road to college, and the Kerry line actually worked!

you can say what you want about the war, politics in general and John Kerry in specific but the bottom line is the threat of sending undermotivated teens to war in Iraq is my experience a highly effective motivational tool. Faced with the grim reality of fighting for Bush's war on terror, this girl who was motivated by nothing else previously turned the corner. I was suprised, honestly i expected to see her on xmas looking for a new school.[/QUOTE]

Bitonti...

I'm not offended by you're comment, but I do find it anachronistic and distasteful. This isn't the Vietnam War era were high school graduates are being snatched up by a draft. There is currently no possible scenario where an American citizen would find themselves being sent off to war against their will because they received bad grades. Ask any Marine what USMC stands for and they'll tell you it stands for "u signed the motherf*cking contract."

I joined the Marine Corps reserves in 2000 while a junior in college because I felt I needed something else to fall back on in case my career in the sciences didn't take off. Got a B.S. in wildlife biology and just finished my M.Sc. in ecology studying an endangered carnivore. Currently, I'm waiting on funding to get into one of several PhD programs to continue my work with the endangered carnivore that I did my master's on. I should hear back from the funding sources sometime this summer after they have reviewed my proposals. As you can see, I have no reason to be offended.

Some of the most intelligent people I have enjoyed being around were Marines. Some of the dumbest f*cking rocks I have had the privilege of being around were also Marines. Hell, at ITB I knew a Marine that pulled a freckle from his balls with a leatherman because he thought it was a tick. At the same time, all the land nav and training directing artillery fire as FO has been unbelievably beneficial in my work studying wildlife when tracking and locating individual animals in the field via map, compass, and triangulation.

Bottom line... you're cousin or kid sister is getting better grades because of what you did. So, as a result, she'll have options and she'll (hopefully) be one less f*ck up out there. As far as I'm concerned, you don't have anything to apologize for. I've done far worse to motivate people before.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti]look this is a true story 100% you can read into it what you want

my point was not that people in the military are stupid or that John Kerry is smart.

My only point was that my niece was practically failing out of school, now she's on the road to college, and the Kerry line actually worked!

you can say what you want about the war, politics in general and John Kerry in specific but the bottom line is the threat of sending undermotivated teens to war in Iraq is my experience a highly effective motivational tool. Faced with the grim reality of fighting for Bush's war on terror, this girl who was motivated by nothing else previously turned the corner. I was suprised, honestly i expected to see her on xmas looking for a new school.[/QUOTE]

Interesting that a girl who was not motivated by anything never had parents brought into the equation...I won't even go down the road that she got a C in religion.... :cool:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=finlee17]Bitonti...

I'm not offended by you're comment, but I do find it anachronistic and distasteful. This isn't the Vietnam War era were high school graduates are being snatched up by a draft. There is currently no possible scenario where an American citizen would find themselves being sent off to war against their will because they received bad grades. Ask any Marine what USMC stands for and they'll tell you it stands for "u signed the motherf*cking contract."

I joined the Marine Corps reserves in 2000 while a junior in college because I felt I needed something else to fall back on in case my career in the sciences didn't take off. Got a B.S. in wildlife biology and just finished my M.Sc. in ecology studying an endangered carnivore. Currently, I'm waiting on funding to get into one of several PhD programs to continue my work with the endangered carnivore that I did my master's on. I should hear back from the funding sources sometime this summer after they have reviewed my proposals. As you can see, I have no reason to be offended.

Some of the most intelligent people I have enjoyed being around were Marines. Some of the dumbest f*cking rocks I have had the privilege of being around were also Marines. Hell, at ITB I knew a Marine that pulled a freckle from his balls with a leatherman because he thought it was a tick. At the same time, all the land nav and training directing artillery fire as FO has been unbelievably beneficial in my work studying wildlife when tracking and locating individual animals in the field via map, compass, and triangulation.

Bottom line... you're cousin or kid sister is getting better grades because of what you did. So, as a result, she'll have options and she'll (hopefully) be one less f*ck up out there. As far as I'm concerned, you don't have anything to apologize for. I've done far worse to motivate people before.[/QUOTE]

who's the endangered carnivore....man? ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

interesting that not a single one of those who have served are offended or insulted, while many who didn't are. i wonder if those that are insulted have the wrong idea about the military, or just overestimate the power and/or meaning of bit's statements?

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve]Interesting that a girl who was not motivated by anything never had parents brought into the equation...I won't even go down the road that she got a C in religion.... :cool:[/QUOTE]

not that it's anyone's business but she's only got her mom, who is overwhelmed at times. The pops is nowhere to be found.

It is not difficult to join the military and if you are desperate for a job the military is an easy option.

[QUOTE=pauliec]which is what?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=isired]interesting that not a single one of those who have served are offended or insulted, while many who didn't are. i wonder if those that are insulted have the wrong idea about the military, or just overestimate the power and/or meaning of bit's statements?[/QUOTE]

Fair enough Isi. If they are not offended, so be it.

It's their issue in truth, not mine.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti]not that it's anyone's business but she's only got her mom, who is overwhelmed at times. The pops is nowhere to be found.[/QUOTE]

And not to be a jerk, but don't you think that a girl who has a single mother who is overworked and a jerk for a father who ran out on her MAY be part of the issue with her lack of motivation?

Good for you Bit, life is not a lark!

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve]And not to be a jerk, but don't you think that a girl who has a single mother who is overworked and a jerk for a father who ran out on her MAY be part of the issue with her lack of motivation?[/QUOTE]

probably it contributes, yeah - but i am not trying to psychoanalyze anyone, i was just trying to make sure my niece didn't fail out of school or worse. The problems this child faces I cannot fix in an hour on thanksgiving.

[QUOTE=finlee17]Bitonti...

[COLOR=Red][B]Some of the most intelligent people I have enjoyed being around were Marines. Some of the dumbest f*cking rocks I have had the privilege of being around were also Marines.[/B][/COLOR] Hell, at ITB I knew a Marine that pulled a freckle from his balls with a leatherman because he thought it was a tick. At the same time, all the land nav and training directing artillery fire as FO has been unbelievably beneficial in my work studying wildlife when tracking and locating individual animals in the field via map, compass, and triangulation.

Bottom line... you're cousin or kid sister is getting better grades because of what you did. So, as a result, she'll have options and she'll (hopefully) be one less f*ck up out there. As far as I'm concerned, you don't have anything to apologize for. I've done far worse to motivate people before.[/QUOTE]

The Marine Corps will never change :yes: :yes:

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve]who's the endangered carnivore....man? ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah... specifically WASPs in the US. They need much more immediate attention compared to other indigenous cultures around the world.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]The Marine Corps will never change :yes: :yes:[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth...

[QUOTE=finlee17]Isn't that the truth...[/QUOTE]

Jarhead :D

Jets Insider VIP
    From what I"ve read, with all the tech stuff in the Armed Forces now, under-achievers are far from the norm. As for the "Leatherman" story - common sense is 'hole 'nother story. :D