Thread: Yankees have preliminary deal with 1B Mientkiewicz

All Pro

Yankees have preliminary deal with 1B Mientkiewicz

nice...we unload that Unit guy and solve the 1st base issue all in the same week. not bad....but I think this means we have to say bye bye to Bernie .

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2720161

the Yanks are quietly making some really good moves this off season.

what happened to whats-his-name acquired from Pittsburgh in the middle of last season? He seemed like a very decent addition at 1B?

Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    nice...we unload that Unit guy and solve the 1st base issue all in the same week. not bad....but I think this means we have to say bye bye to Bernie .

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2720161

the Yanks are quietly making some really good moves this off season.
    you think you solved your 1B issue? good luck....the guy is horrible at the plate and starts at the most offensive position in baseball.

Trust me i was super excited about him on the mets, but the guy let me down big time.

Terrible Bat
    Great Defense

If you're looking for a Defensive Replacement at First Base, you found your guy.

Otherwise, don't get your hopes up.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    what happened to whats-his-name acquired from Pittsburgh in the middle of last season? He seemed like a very decent addition at 1B?
    Craig Wilson is a FA

doug is a miserable hitter. if you think this solves your 1b issues then you are setting yourself up for a huge letdown. on the flip side, he does have a great glove and makes a great late inning defensive replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet
    Craig Wilson is a FA

gotcha, thanks

Where is it written that the Yanks got this guy for his bat? Giambino will be the full time DH.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Man-O-Gold
    you think you solved your 1B issue? good luck....the guy is horrible at the plate and starts at the most offensive position in baseball.

Trust me i was super excited about him on the mets, but the guy let me down big time.
    you have ssen the Yanks line up right? It's not like they are in dire need of bats.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    doug is a miserable hitter. if you think this solves your 1b issues then you are setting yourself up for a huge letdown. on the flip side, he does have a great glove and makes a great late inning defensive replacement.
    He is a better hitter than he was for the Mets, although that isn't exactly saying much.

It will end up being a platoon situation and I'm hoping Josh Phelps gets the nod over Andy Phillips.

I also would have liked to keep Craig Wilson, who is also a better hitter than he showed with the Yankees last season.

All in all, I don't mind this deal, and if he can put up the same numbers that he did last year, it will be fine.

All League
    Nice signing, you can say any number of things about his bat but he's golden with the glove (no pun intended).