Thread: School Bans Service Dog

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

School Bans Service Dog

[B]Long IslandSchool district explains ban on dog for deaf student[/B]
    Boy's mother reacts angrily to school's stance, saying officials have "vendetta" against the family.
    BY CARL MACGOWAN
    Newsday Staff Writer

January 9, 2007, 10:01 PM EST

The parents of a deaf Westbury teenager "repeatedly rejected" efforts by officials to discuss the boy's wish to bring his service dog to school, the East Meadow schools chief said Tuesday.

Superintendent Robert Dillon released a four-paragraph statement late Tuesday, laying out for the first time the district's reasons for barring John Cave's service dog, Simba, from W. Tresper Clarke High School. He said the district has a blanket policy barring animals for safety and health reasons.

"The district has taken the appropriate steps to evaluate this issue and has determined that the student does not need the service dog to access the district's programs," Dillon said.

"Certain risks are posed by a canine participating daily in the school environment such as allergy considerations, problems in navigating class and staff flow in the hallways and stairwells, and the significant distraction and substantial disruption to educational operations that the animal's presence poses."

The boy's mother, Nancy Cave, reacted angrily to the statement, accusing district officials of having a "vendetta" against the family. She said the Americans with Disabilities Act and state civil rights statutes "state that the school district has no jurisdiction relative to a service dog."

"We do not have to justify what the dog does for John," Cave said. "We don't have to explain; we don't have to show proof of anything. ... Nor is it any of their business."

Cave acknowledged that she has refused to meet with the district's committee on special education to discuss allowing John to bring Simba to class. She said the district is legally obligated to allow the dog. "Simba is not a special education accommodation," she said.

She said she is willing to meet with Dillon individually, but that Dillon has refused such a meeting. "I am not the problem," Cave said.

Cave said most students with allergies would have no contact with Simba. "He's not a danger to anyone," she said.

The superintendent's statement was released after school officials denied access to the dog for five straight days. Simba briefly entered the high school with John Tuesday morning, Cave said. When John was ordered to the school's main office, she said he instead went to class and was reprimanded by the principal, Timothy Voels. The boy avoided suspension when Cave agreed to take Simba home.

Cave said her son is struggling in school because of the controversy. But she said John will continue bringing the dog to school.

I figured this was the right place to put this if I was looking for opinions. ;)

I guess the kid should be able to have the dog if he needs it but I think it is strange that the family won't say what he needs it for.

How does a dog help a deaf kid anyway?

Please discuss
    Last edited by LI2OH; 01-10-2007 at 10:11 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up with 2 deaf kids, one being a very close friend. Neither needed a dog. If it is so important that he needs one, why won't the mom disclose why her son is in need of one when other deaf kids aren't?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don't get why a deaf kid would need a dog. my fiancee has a deaf student in one of her classes and he has a signer with him. unless the dog knows sign language i'm confused.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This whole line of thinking about it being an allergy issue is a crock...

I can't wait till my daughter is old enough to go to school. I am sending her off in a peanut butter suit covered in dog hair with a seafood hat, just to see the reaction of some of these uptight mothers on the school board..... :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve]This whole line of thinking about it being an allergy issue is a crock...

I can't wait till my daughter is old enough to go to school. I am sending her off in a peanut butter suit covered in dog hair with a seafood hat, just to see the reaction of some of these uptight mothers on the school board..... :D[/QUOTE]

I haven't read anything to show that the deaf kid needing a dog isn't a crock.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet]I haven't read anything to show that the deaf kid needing a dog isn't a crock.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Orange, my point is more how people point to allergy considerations about these topics. I worked in hospitality for seventeen years, and perhaps in the first ten-twelve years "allergy considerations" only came up a dozen times or so. These past few years they came up a dozen times a month.

Has anyone ever thought that the reason these so-called "allergies" exist because we have become so obsessed with hypo-allergenic/sterilty/cleanliness that we have stopped our bodies from being able to do what they were intended (and have the ability) to do?

This whole concept I believe begins with not letting kids be kids and let them be exposed to things.....Let them get dirty, let them stick things in their mouths, let them smell peanut butter at an early age, let them pet the neighbours dogs...loosen up and things would be much better....(in my opinion)

Finlee, I'm sure there is scientific evidence that would contradict me though (sorry man, I couldn't refuse the science shot) :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve]Sorry Orange, my point is more how people point to allergy considerations about these topics. I worked in hospitality for seventeen years, and perhaps in the first ten-twelve years "allergy considerations" only came up a dozen times or so. These past few years they came up a dozen times a month.

Has anyone ever thought that the reason these so-called "allergies" exist because we have become so obsessed with hypo-allergenic/sterilty/cleanliness that we have stopped our bodies from being able to do what they were intended (and have the ability) to do?

This whole concept I believe begins with not letting kids be kids and let them be exposed to things.....Let them get dirty, let them stick things in their mouths, let them smell peanut butter at an early age, let them pet the neighbours dogs...loosen up and things would be much better....(in my opinion)

Finlee, I'm sure there is scientific evidence that would contradict me though (sorry man, I couldn't refuse the science shot) :D[/QUOTE]

Our good friends are germ-a-phobes (at least the wife is)...sterilizing everything in sight. I've never seen 2 kids get sick so often.
    Last edited by OrangeJet; 01-11-2007 at 05:52 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet]Our good friends our germ-a-phobes (at least the wife is)...sterilizing everything in sight. I've never seen 2 kids get sick so often.[/QUOTE]

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

In an obsessive effort to kill the bad germs, they kill all the good germs as well. One of the best things a kid can do is play in mud. Dirt is enriched in vitamins and minerals and it helps build an immune system.

Don't tell me let me guess: your friends kids have never made mudpies?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have kids do your friends act like if their kid/kids have a cold it should the first thing announced? It is annoying. And god forbid they eat something off the floor.

[QUOTE=OrangeJet]Our good friends our germ-a-phobes (at least the wife is)...sterilizing everything in sight. I've never seen 2 kids get sick so often.[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve]This whole line of thinking about it being an allergy issue is a crock...

I can't wait till my daughter is old enough to go to school. I am sending her off in a peanut butter suit covered in dog hair with a seafood hat, just to see the reaction of some of these uptight mothers on the school board..... :D[/QUOTE]

the allergies were only 1 of the reasons the superindendent stated for not allowing the dog in the school. it wasn't the only reason. seriously though, what can this dog do for this kid that a personal assistant couldn't? there are people out there who specialize in assisting handicap students. having an animal in a high school isn't a good idea.

p.s. i'm sure your daughter would make lots of friends that way. ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=loluchka80]the allergies were only 1 of the reasons the superindendent stated for not allowing the dog in the school. it wasn't the only reason. seriously though, what can this dog do for this kid that a personal assistant couldn't? there are people out there who specialize in assisting handicap students. having an animal in a high school isn't a good idea.

[B]p.s. i'm sure your daughter would make lots of friends that way.[/B] ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh she will.....the fun kind of friends who want to make a statement about certain things.... :devil2: