Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: David Beckham to U.S.

OT: David Beckham to U.S.

I know that football guys think of soccer as a girly sport, but i am a fan of soccer too. i its 2nd to football for my favorite sport to play. Beckham i think is going to get more people to watch soccer in the U.S. and ESPN would start broadcasting games in the U.S. For 5 years this guy is getting 250 million. It would be awesome to go see him play, and games will probably sell out in LA for his first games there.http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...ot=mls&cc=5901

All League
    the only reason he came here is because he is too old in the league he was playing in...also the reason he wont be back on the english national team....but still it will be exciting to see him play here as a soccer fan...it may also entice the rumored ronaldo to come to the u.s. too

check out the soccer forum, the best damn sub-forum (not football or politics related) on JI

Jets Insider VIP
    NFL>>>>>>>>MLB>>>>>>>>>>NHL>>>>>>>>>>>NBA>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>Soccer

What a bad deal in signing this guy and an unprecedented boatload of millions to do so. He is way past his prime and never was a superstar to begin with. American's are going to see him play and say WTF is so special about him and tune out of soccer again.

Listen Soccer people, every few years aging soccer super stars come to the US to play in what ever league is active in the US, I guess the latest soccer league is the MLS. And they always say this guy will bring the sport to mainstream, etc.

IT NEVER HAPPENS!!!!! It will never happen. If Pele couldn't do it, this guy will not do it. His game will attract a few more people for a little while, than slowly he will play in front of sparse crowds like the rest of the soccer players.

If a soccer player could do it, it would be from a Latin American country, that seems to be the main fan base for pro US soccer. So if one of those one named Brazilian guys, or a famous Mexican player came over, he would have a strong Hispanic following.

But come on. bottom line is its soccer, and when you compare soccer to the more evolved sports, it just doesn't compare to them. Americans have a choice for their sports attention and they will choose the good sports.

Though I am looking forward to seeing what he can do the simple fact is that David Beckham is really not that good. Actually he has never been all that great. He did zero in the Spanish League. Real Madrid signed him to sell jerseys. Then were dying to get rid of him.
    The mls should spread that 250 million to 3 or 4 star players. Instead of giving all of it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by PETER PAT
    Listen Soccer people, every few years aging soccer super stars come to the US to play in what ever league is active in the US, I guess the latest soccer league is the MLS. And they always say this guy will bring the sport to mainstream, etc.

IT NEVER HAPPENS!!!!! It will never happen. If Pele couldn't do it, this guy will not do it. His game will attract a few more people for a little while, than slowly he will play in front of sparse crowds like the rest of the soccer players.

If a soccer player could do it, it would be from a Latin American country, that seems to be the main fan base for pro US soccer. So if one of those one named Brazilian guys, or a famous Mexican player came over, he would have a strong Hispanic following.

But come on. bottom line is its soccer, and when you compare soccer to the more evolved sports, it just doesn't compare to them. Americans have a choice for their sports attention and they will choose the good sports.

you should watch the movie about the Cosmos they released last summer. The story about the failure of the old NASL was a lot more complicated than soccer not being an evolved sport (whatever that means).

Hall Of Fame

and apparently the rest of the world doesnt

frankly, i couldnt care less about MLS or soccer in the US...i like following the Premiership just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    NFL>>>>>>>>MLB>>>>>>>>>>NHL>>>>>>>>>>>NBA>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>Soccer
    baseball is probably the boringest sport ever to watch. and hockey can only be watched during the playoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by dameangreenkillingmachine
    baseball is probably the boringest sport ever to watch. and hockey can only be watched during the playoffs.
    Umm I watch every Ranger game. If you are a fan you dont watch it only during the playoffs. And baseball is a great game to watch. I love it. Soccer is ****ing gay.

Umm I watch every Ranger game. If you are a fan you dont watch it only during the playoffs. And baseball is a great game to watch. I love it. Soccer is ****ing gay.
    i just dont get how baseball is so good to watch. it takes 30 seconds to pitch the ball, on average 5 pitches until a ball is hit or hit fair. thats 2 minutes and 30 seconds of nothing. baseball is 5 minutes of action crammed into 2 and a half hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyJet
    the only reason he came here is because he is too old in the league he was playing in...
    that would be a false statement.

All League
    this is the 2nd best league in the world...only 2nd to the NFL...which is why i will never get into the MLS

hockey seriously sucks. Although your "soccer is gay" argument is compelling, think of it this way:

Soccer is the #1 sport in literally the entire world. Hockey is the #1 sport i. Canada and the #3 in the USA (or #4... possibly 5.... hell, poker gets more tv time than hockey).

this is completely different than pele, which was more than "every few" years ago.

Jets Insider VIP
    i just dont get how baseball is so good to watch. it takes 30 seconds to pitch the ball, on average 5 pitches until a ball is hit or hit fair. thats 2 minutes and 30 seconds of nothing. baseball is 5 minutes of action crammed into 2 and a half hours.
    What I dont get is how you have sign up for a NHL board in your sig.

And baseball is very nice to watch IF YOU ARE A FAN.

boringest....hahaha

boringest? is football the FUNNEST? you cant be expect to be taken seriously if you converse like a kindergartener....

What I dont get is how you have sign up for a NHL board in your sig.

And baseball is very nice to watch IF YOU ARE A FAN.
    i watch the devils in the playoffs. i used to be more a fan before all of that **** happened and now hockey is bad. that thing is old and i have to take it down.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceMehl
    The mls should spread that 250 million to 3 or 4 star players. Instead of giving all of it to him.
    you clearly miss the point of signing beckham. you can't name 8 "star" players, never mind 3 or 4, who will have even half of the impact Beckham will have in giving the league exposure.