Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My personal observation of your basic Army Soldier and Marine enlistee....

My personal observation of your basic Army Soldier and Marine enlistee....

My post applies only to basically trained Marines and Soldiers, not the 1% or so that makes up all of the elite units (and I'm proud to say I was a part of that at one time).

My personal experiences have led me to see that the majority of Marines are no better trained, motivated, tough, etc. than their Army counterparts....In fact most Marines are about as undisciplined as a 14 year old, when they are off active duty.

The Marine Corps seems to appeal to those youngsters who have something to prove, becuase they have low self esteem. The ones that do not, seem to be the muscle bound knuckle heads. Now this is surely not applying to ALL of them, but this is a very obvious depiction of most enlisted Marines. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a cousin join the Marines because he liked their uniform...wow! I love him to death though.

Marines try and make themselves sound better than all the others (see Jetdawgg's posts...all about how big and bad he is), but it is just to attarct those who feel that is the only way to look good. They make many of their combat units feel as though they are the best of the best, simply to aleviate the fears of being killed.

In reality the Army has far more MOS's, much more technology, and without a doubt an equally "war prepared individual"...just as disciplined, just as tough, and just as good at teamwork...but a lot smarter on the average. Besides, to be a Marine you have to like the ocean and ships....many people have no desire what so ever to be at sea! [B]Marines are taught more to die for thier country, Soldiers are taught more to kill for thier country.[/B] Look in our history pages....who has fought the large majority of battles...who has won the most...? The Army has. Don't judge a book by its cover!

But, then again, does it really matter who is the big bad dude...bullets don't have a preference when you're caught in the cross hairs. Plently of Army, Marines, Air Force and Navy on that Vietnam Memorial and all the training in the world couldn't save them...God Bless them all.

interesting post, I can't wait until jetdawgg sees it.

Every branch has great soldiers and horrible soldiers. To try to argue who is better is ridiculous.
    You are a proud Army soldier and therefore you are not going to be able to argue with any other person who served in another branch without bias.

I have served in both branches the Army and Marines. Both had great guys and both has sh!theads.

The Army tended to let in some of the undesireables, while the Marines and the Air Force have tried to maintain. Hence the higher score standards with the testing.

[QUOTE=JetFanFL]My post applies only to basically trained Marines and Soldiers, not the 1% or so that makes up all of the elite units (and I'm proud to say I was a part of that at one time).

My personal experiences have led me to see that the majority of Marines are no better trained, motivated, tough, etc. than their Army counterparts....In fact most Marines are about as undisciplined as a 14 year old, when they are off active duty.

The Marine Corps seems to appeal to those youngsters who have something to prove, becuase they have low self esteem. The ones that do not, seem to be the muscle bound knuckle heads. Now this is surely not applying to ALL of them, but this is a very obvious depiction of most enlisted Marines. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a cousin join the Marines because he liked their uniform...wow! I love him to death though.

Marines try and make themselves sound better than all the others (see Jetdawgg's posts...all about how big and bad he is), but it is just to attarct those who feel that is the only way to look good. They make many of their combat units feel as though they are the best of the best, simply to aleviate the fears of being killed.

In reality the Army has far more MOS's, much more technology, and without a doubt an equally "war prepared individual"...just as disciplined, just as tough, and just as good at teamwork...but a lot smarter on the average. Besides, to be a Marine you have to like the ocean and ships....many people have no desire what so ever to be at sea! [B]Marines are taught more to die for thier country, Soldiers are taught more to kill for thier country.[/B] Look in our history pages....who has fought the large majority of battles...who has won the most...? The Army has. Don't judge a book by its cover!

But, then again, does it really matter who is the big bad dude...bullets don't have a preference when you're caught in the cross hairs. Plently of Army, Marines, Air Force and Navy on that Vietnam Memorial and all the training in the world couldn't save them...God Bless them all.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726]Every branch has great soldiers and horrible soldiers. To try to argue who is better is ridiculous.
    You are a proud Army soldier and therefore you are not going to be able to argue with any other person who served in another branch without bias.

I have served in both branches the Army and Marines. Both had great guys and both has sh!theads.

The Army tended to let in some of the undesireables, while the Marines and the Air Force have tried to maintain. Hence the higher score standards with the testing.[/QUOTE]

The reason for the post was clearly an attempt by me to address JD's posts...almost all of his posts are like hey, look at me, I'm a Marine, I'm big and bad and that's just plain BS. I only reference my service in my avatar which speaks for itself. I don't need to tell everyone who I am in every post...like people give two sh!ts anyway.

And you're right, every branch has sh!theads...it's just that all the other branches don't go around telling the world how great they are...hence the marines.

[QUOTE=cr726]Every branch has great soldiers and horrible soldiers. To try to argue who is better is ridiculous.

The Army tended to let in some of the undesireables, while the Marines and the Air Force have tried to maintain. Hence the higher score standards with the testing.[/QUOTE]

[B]M[/B]uscles
    [B]A[/B]re
    [B]R[/B]equired
    [B]I[/B]ntelligence
    [B]N[/B]ot
    [B]E[/B]ssential

As a member of the Army and having been around Marine units, what JFF said is spot on. The average Marine is no better/wrose then the average Army Infantry soldier. The Marines suffer from the same mentality that affects Miami U. They think putting on the Uniform makes them better, but when in all actuality the person in the uniform that makes the difference.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetFanFL]it's just that all the other branches don't go around telling the world how great they are[/QUOTE]

isn't that what you just did? :D

Banned
    [QUOTE=Tanginius]isn't that what you just did? :D[/QUOTE]
    In response to someone else who brings it up all the time ;)

[QUOTE=bill parcells]In response to someone else who brings it up all the time ;)[/QUOTE]

Everyone that serves is proud of their service and the branch that they joined

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]In response to someone else who brings it up all the time ;)[/QUOTE]

well then reply to that post/posts with this... don't start a new thread doing exactly what the new thread is criticizing!

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Everyone that serves is proud of their service and the branch that they joined[/QUOTE]
    Sorry Jetdawgg,thats not exactly the same way you had been tooting your own horn before Today,right??how many times did I hear you say to everybody..Did you serve??I never said one thing in that other thread to warrant that question to me..and ''how the Jetdawgg world turns'' will continue after these commercial breaks from our sponsors..

Banned
    [QUOTE=Tanginius]well then reply to that post/posts with this... don't start a new thread doing exactly what the new thread is criticizing![/QUOTE]
    Well deserved criticism for the poster in question.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Everyone that serves is proud of their service and the branch that they joined[/QUOTE]

Exactly!!!
    I dont care if you were one of [B]U[/B]ncle [B]S[/B]am's [B]M[/B]isguided [B]C[/B]hildren.

Your OK in my book Jetdawgg :)

[QUOTE=bill parcells]Well deserved criticism for the poster in question.[/QUOTE]

The only well deserved criticism is for those who call people who are against the war in Iraq traitors, unpatriotic and terrorist supporrters

Banned
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]The only well deserved criticism is for those who call people who are against the war in Iraq traitors, unpatriotic and terrorist supporrters[/QUOTE]
    I never said that to anybody in this forum..I think you guys are libtards.and have a twisted view on politics..but I never called you or Jetdawgg traitors,unpatriotic or terrorist supporters..or are you guys profiling me again??I know Jetdawgg doesn't like that..shame on you guys!! :D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]Well deserved criticism for the poster in question.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't addressing if it was well deserved or not... just the irony in creating a thread to boast about the army being better than marines, especially since the marines make a point about being the better armed service

[QUOTE=PFSIKH][B]M[/B]uscles
    [B]A[/B]re
    [B]R[/B]equired
    [B]I[/B]ntelligence
    [B]N[/B]ot
    [B]E[/B]ssential

As a member of the Army and having been around Marine units, what JFF said is spot on. The average Marine is no better/wrose then the average Army Infantry soldier. [I][B]The Marines suffer from the same mentality that affects Miami U[/B]. [/I] They think putting on the Uniform makes them better, but when in all actuality [B]the person in the uniform that makes the difference[/B].[/QUOTE]

[I]Disagree with you there. The Marines learn a lot about our tradition, our history, our legacy. It is not easy to obtain that uniform. No one "joins" the Marines. You earn that uniform.

I was tough before the Marines resculptured of my mind and body. I grew up in the South Bronx and Harlem back in the 60's and 70's. I also was smarter than some and that is what kept me from getting into serious trouble. I listened to my parents most times anyway :yes: .[/I]

[I]What makes me feel great about being a Marine is that being one of the few people that go thru that fire. Being part of the world's greatest warriors.[/I]

By the way, I am only 6'0 and 1751bs. :yes:

1000000% correct

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]The only well deserved criticism is for those who call people who are against the war in Iraq traitors, unpatriotic and terrorist supporrters[/QUOTE]

And the people against the war are our real American heroes.

Riiiiight.

Only in Iran and France and China.

All of these heroes should have been forced to dig out the WTC rubble with their coke spoons.

[QUOTE=Tanginius]isn't that what you just did? :D[/QUOTE]

Zing....right over your head. Yes, that's what I just did. But, I don't go around telling the world about it. I did it in that post because isn't that what JD does in every post? There is no need to advertise how great you are. If you think you are, fine. That's what Marines do...it's part of their hype program.

Everyone who served should be proud of their service...when you go around telling the world how great you are, it loses the message. Actions speak louder than words.

That reminds me of a boss I had as a part time job in my senior year in high school. I asked him how come you never tell me I'm doing my job well...he respond with, you wouldn't be here if you weren't. Lesson learned...if you think you're good, there is no need to hear it...others will know it. :yes:

[QUOTE=JetFanFL]My post applies only to basically trained Marines and Soldiers, not the 1% or so that makes up all of the elite units (and I'm proud to say I was a part of that at one time).

[COLOR=Blue][B]I also was part of an elite unit[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue][B]Marine Corps boot camp was 14 weeks when I enlisted. A lot of military training is tough physically. In fact I used to be more tired after football practice as a kid than the physical training in the Corps. I would say that some Marines are undisciplined off duty.

It is the mental approach that the Drill Instructors use on the recruits that make it tougher to get that uniform. Those mind games are so difficult to compete with. Your whole identity of who you were is being ripped out from you.

I remember one day in boot camp a Drill instructor came over to me and said "I know that you can do this. You are just going thru the motions. You can do a lot better. You are smarter than a lot of these guys here. You probably don't need this, but you are here and the fastest way to get out of here is to graduate"

It is being on duty that makes the difference in being a Marine. That discipline, that tradition. Knowing that you are part of a culture that is born out of honor, god, country, corps, courage. It makes us extremely Patriotic.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue][B]A lot of people that join the Military may have low self esteem, I knew some Marines who did, but I also knew some Sailors and Soldiers. Most AirMen think that they are so smart. Particularly smarter than the Marines. I was stationed on an Air Base in Texas awhile. Only 9 Marines were in that school.

A lot of Marines are muscular as they lift weights, box, fight, wrestle, scuffle and skirmish daily. I am a normal sized man. I have a great deal of strenght as some Jarheads had to find out at times. My hands were also quick then.

I was going to join the AF, but they would not provide me the training that I wanted. The Marines did.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue][B]Marines are elite warriors.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue][B]The Army is much and has a much larger budget. I can't agree with the discipline part and the toughness is questionable. The average soldier may be smarter. The Marine Corps is smaller.

The Marine Corps fights the toughest battles. That is why we are the most repected warriors in the world. Just mention "Marine" and see what looks you get. We Marines are taught discipline, not to die for our country.

We know that we have to enter the battle first. (First to Serve). That lets a Marine know that the task is not easy. If it is not easy, send in the Marines[/B][/COLOR]

But, then again, does it really matter who is the big bad dude...bullets don't have a preference when you're caught in the cross hairs. Plently of Army, Marines, Air Force and Navy on that Vietnam Memorial and all the training in the world couldn't save them...God Bless them all.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue][B]Nothing can save you when it is your time. I just happen to be born a certain time. That is what saved me. The times I was on ships, (I don't like ships and most Marines don't) we just happened to nearly die of boredom. Fighting would have been preferrable as it would have been something to do.[/B][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=kennyo7]Exactly!!!
    I dont care if you were one of [B]U[/B]ncle [B]S[/B]am's [B]M[/B]isguided [B]C[/B]hildren.

Your OK in my book Jetdawgg :)[/QUOTE]

Gracias. Same here dude....