Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explosion In U.s. Embassy Compound In Athens

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Explosion In U.s. Embassy Compound In Athens

[QUOTE]ATHENS (Reuters) - An explosion ripped through the U.S. embassy compound in central Athens on Friday, a police source said.

It was not clear what caused the blast and there was no immediate word on whether there were any casualties.

Reuters Pict[/QUOTE]
    [url]http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=newsOne&storyID=2007-01-12T044732Z_01_L12389479_RTRUKOC_0_US-GREECE-EXPLOSION.xml[/url]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    :eek: :eek:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crap..that sucks..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank God no injuries.

ATHENS (Reuters) - An explosion ripped through the U.S. embassy compound in central Athens on Friday but no one was hurt, a U.S. embassy spokesman said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Greek anti-terrorist officers were on the scene and investigating. It was not clear what caused the blast.

"There are no injuries from the blast. The investigation of the cause is continuing," the U.S. embassy spokesman said.

"We are investigating the cause of the explosion. We are not ruling anything out," a senior police official told Reuters.

Dozens of police cars surrounded the embassy and police cordoned off all roads in the area, including a major boulevard in front of the mission.

"Police have cut off all traffic. I am standing right here but there does not seem to be any damage. Greece's anti-terror squad are now investigating inside the embassy," a U.S. embassy employee at the scene told Reuters.

The senior police official did not say whether the explosion was set off inside the compound or whether something might have been thrown into the embassy grounds.

Police officials at the scene said that whatever caused the explosion damaged the official embassy sign outside the mission, but there was little other indication of the extent of damage inside.

The tightly guarded building is surrounded by a 3-meter (9-feet)-high steel fence. Guards are posted at every entrance and at street corners around it.

Embassy officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Local residents called in to state television saying they had felt the explosion, which shattered some windows.

Greece's biggest domestic security threat, the leftist November 17 guerrilla group, which had in the past killed U.S. and other foreign diplomats in Greece, was dismantled in 2002.

In November last year, Greek riot police fired tear gas to disperse demonstrators marching to the U.S. embassy in Athens who chanted slogans including "Bush the butcher, out of Iraq" and "The USA is the real terrorist."

In February 1996, unidentified assailants fired a rocket at the U.S. embassy compound in Athens, causing minor damage to three diplomatic vehicles and some surrounding buildings.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank goodness everybody was ok.

The tightly guarded building is surrounded by a 3-meter (9-feet)-high steel fence. Guards are posted at every entrance and at street corners around it.

Embassy officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

I wonder if it was RPG fire.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In Greece? Didn't see that one coming. At least no one was killed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New York Mick]In Greece? Didn't see that one coming. At least no one was killed.[/QUOTE]
    I'm a Greek-American who has been to Greece, and believe it or not there is a lot of anti-American sentiment in Greece. A little odd if you asked me, considering we bailed them out in WW2 and saved them from communism.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Per ABC.
    "This is an act of terrorism. We don't know where from," Attica Police Chief Asimakis Golfis said. "There was a shell that exploded in the toilets of the building … It was fired from street level."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan]I'm a Greek-American who has been to Greece, and believe it or not there is a lot of anti-American sentiment in Greece. [B]A little odd if you asked me, considering we bailed them out in WW2 and saved them from communism.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Thats all long forgotten now by the ''New age Europeans'' unfortunately

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FDRX7]Per ABC.
    "This is an act of terrorism. We don't know where from," Attica Police Chief Asimakis Golfis said. "There was a shell [B]that exploded in the toilets [/B] of the building … [B]It was fired from street level[/B]."[/QUOTE]

So someone launched a rocket into a toilet from the street outside the embassy??? That is some shot. Bring him to camp as a potential #3 QB! :P

Glad everyone seems to be okay.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan]I'm a Greek-American who has been to Greece, and believe it or not there is a lot of anti-American sentiment in Greece. A little odd if you asked me, considering we bailed them out in WW2 and saved them from communism.[/QUOTE]This sounds like a great thread for the Poli/World Forum. Lots of smart guys in there that would know what's up with the anti-American sentiment.

Flushing Jet, what is the deal? :)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan]I'm a Greek-American who has been to Greece, and believe it or not there is a lot of anti-American sentiment in Greece. A little odd if you asked me, considering we bailed them out in WW2 and saved them from communism.[/QUOTE]
    Bailing them out in WW2 sadly has nothing to do with it. Look no further than France. They hated us after the war when DeGaullie was in power. If it wasn't for us all those lousy Frogs would be speaking German.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan]I'm a Greek-American who has been to Greece, and believe it or not there is a lot of anti-American sentiment in Greece. A little odd if you asked me, considering we bailed them out in WW2 and saved them from communism.[/QUOTE]
    NewsFlash:

Nobody likes America anywhere else in this world except places whose main form of income is tourism. And with that being said, they only like our money; not us.

Jealousy breeds envy. Envy breeds hate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This happens the day after we attack the Iranian consulate in Iraq. Coincidence?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]Thats all long forgotten now by the ''New age Europeans'' unfortunately[/QUOTE]

Exactly... how many times have we saved the Frenchs' asses?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Not odd at all, when you consider that the USA backed a brutal military dictatorship takeover in Greece between 1967-1974.

Those were some of the darkest times in Greece. People were arrested and imprisoned for no reason and with no trials. Hundreds of Greeks were forced into exile.You couldnt have more than 4 people invited to your house w/o getting approval by the police otherwise you risked everyone getting arrested b/c it was considered "plotting against the government". Teachers were not allowed to teach about Socrates or Plato b/c the ancient Greek Philosophers were banned. Rock n roll was also banned during this time. Women were not allowed to wear any shorts or sjkirts that did not at least cover the knees or else risk being arrested! Yes arrested! and lets not even start to talk about how this dictatorship screwed up Cyprus.

This dictatorship was put into place with the help of the USA.

What happened in Athens today was terrible. Lets find out who was actually behind this before accusations fly. Thank God no one was hurt!

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23]So someone launched a rocket into a toilet from the street outside the embassy??? That is some shot. Bring him to camp as a potential #3 QB! :P

Glad everyone seems to be okay.[/QUOTE]
    I launched a rocket in a toilet yesterday. D@mn chili! :eek:

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly]This happens the day after we attack the Iranian consulate in Iraq. Coincidence?[/QUOTE]
    link please.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Not odd at all, when you consider that the USA backed a brutal military dictatorship takeover in Greece between 1967-1974.

Those were some of the darkest times in Greece. People were arrested and imprisoned for no reason and with no trials. Hundreds of Greeks were forced into exile.You couldnt have more than 4 people invited to your house w/o getting approval by the police otherwise you risked everyone getting arrested b/c it was considered "plotting against the government". Teachers were not allowed to teach about Socrates or Plato b/c the ancient Greek Philosophers were banned. Rock n roll was also banned during this time. Women were not allowed to wear any shorts or sjkirts that did not at least cover the knees or else risk being arrested! Yes arrested! and lets not even start to talk about how this dictatorship screwed up Cyprus.

[/QUOTE]

thank you...the legacy of american involvement in greece is horrid...

and FYI, IJF...the Greek Communist rebels (ELAS) overthrew the Nazis...we didnt...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ICWT10]Jealousy breeds envy. Envy breeds hate.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the lesson, Yoda. :rolleyes: :P