Sure he's more of a conservative than libertarian on a couple of issues, but he is head and shoulders above McCain, Guiliani, Romney, Brownback, Gingrich as far as I am concerned. Plus he has experience running a nationwide race (I believe he was the Libertarian candidate in 84 or 88, I forget)...
Who do you want? And what do you think of Dr. Paul?
Personally, I hope to find someone who will do the following:
1) Aggressively seek to fortify our defenses here at home.
2) Nominate justices that will not legislate from the bench.
3) Gracefully extricate us from Iraq while still supporting Iraq enough that it does not become the next terrorist state.
4) Is fiscally conservative - cut taxes to a miminum while balancing the budget and paring down the debt. Not easy and would need to be done in phases.
5) Works to limit abortion.
6) Has enough integrity and likability so as not to polarize like Clilnton and Bush........ have a little Reagen quality to him (or her - but never, ever Hillary!)
and down the list:
7) Advance education by establishing schools for kids prefering trades and/or not wishing to pursue a college bound future.
8) Address the medicaid issues. Just I learned what a mess that system is.