Thread: Fighting violence with more violence.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Fighting violence with more violence.

Israel army chief quits over ‘failed’ Lebanon war
    Web posted at: 1/18/2007 7:50:21
    Source ::: THE TIMES
    jerusalem • Israel’s most senior soldier resigned dramatically yesterday in an apparent acknowledgement of failures in last summer’s war in Lebanon. A military spokeswoman said that Lieutenant-General Dan Halutz, the Chief of Staff of the Israel Defence Forces, had told Ehud Olmert, the Prime Minister, and Amir Peretz, the Defence Minister, that he was quitting “as the investigations have run their course”.

He was referring to a series of inquiries into last year’s war, which was sparked by an incursion into Israel from Lebanon by Hezbollah fighters, who captured two soldiers and killed three. “With the echoes of battle having faded, I have decided to act on my responsibility,” the spokeswoman quoted General Halutz as saying in his resignation letter.

Dan Shomron, a retired Israeli general, recently concluded his investigation into the execution of the 34-day war. A government-appointed committee of inquiry is separately looking into the conduct of Olmert and Peretz.

The general’s report, which was partly released last month, criticised Israeli military commanders for poor organisation during the war but stopped short of calling for General Halutz’s resignation.

Shomron told members of the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, yesterday that the war had been conducted with no clear objective. He added that the threat of rockets being fired at Israel from southern Lebanon remained as it was before the war. Israel mounted a largescale air and land offensive and the fighting left more than 1,000 people dead. Most of the victims were Lebanese civilians. Of the 144 Israelis who were killed, most were soldiers.

Israel failed to achieve its two military goals: To bring home the captured soldiers and to defeat Hezbollah. General Halutz had been under pressure ever since to resign.

The Lebanon war’s outcome was deeply unpopular in Israel, forcing Olmert to set up an inquiry. Since the conflict ended on August 14, after 34 days of fighting, the Prime Minister’s ratings have plummeted.

General Halutz said in his resignation letter that he was taking full responsibility for the fiasco. “For me the concept of responsibility is everything,” he wrote, according to Army Radio. While criticism of his tactics in Lebanon was initially muted, he came under pressure to resign shortly after the conflict ended, particularly when it emerged that he had sold £14,600 of Israeli shares within hours of the Hezbollah abductions that sparked the invasion.

Critics accused General Halutz, a former air force chief, of relying heavily on aerial barrages in the first part of the war, which caused extensive damage to Lebanon’s infrastructure but failed to cripple Hezbollah.

Hezbollah celebrates ‘defeat’

In Beirut, Hezbollah lit up the sky with fireworks to celebrate the “defeat” of the Israeli army chief. “People are celebrating the resignation of Halutz, who assumed responsibility for the defeat” following the 34-day conflict in July and August, Hezbollah representative Hussein Rahhal said. Hezbollah MP Hassan Fadlallah said that the resignation was “the natural result of his army’s defeat in Lebanon”. He also predicted that “the enemy will feel the fallout from the offensive for a long time,” and that the political end was also near for Olmert and Peretz.

The toll

n 1,089 people killed in conflict

n 144 number of Israelis,

including 104 soldiers, killed

n 4,000 Hezbollah rockets

fired into northern Israel

n 27 number of days Lebanese

town of Tyre was attacked

n 400 Israeli and Lebanese towns

and villages attacked

n £8.8bn cost of the 34-day conflict

[url]http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=World_News&month=January2007&file=World_News2007011875021.xml[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]

Israel failed to achieve its two military goals: To bring home the captured soldiers and to defeat Hezbollah. General Halutz had been under pressure ever since to resign.

The Lebanon war’s outcome was deeply unpopular in Israel, forcing Olmert to set up an inquiry. Since the conflict ended on August 14, after 34 days of fighting, the Prime Minister’s ratings have plummeted.

[/QUOTE]
    Bingo.

Thanks Ehud, wonderful job on completely f-cking up decades worth of peace negotiations and whatnot. Top notch job in handling the situation. Well done.

Now, between the screw ups on Olmert's part, and the US's current mess in Iraq, both countries can't even focus their energy on the true threat; Iran.

Perfect, should be a fun couple of years ahead of us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    CR - I get the impression from your thread title that you think Israel f'd up by going to war in the first place rather than in their handling of the war.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a young cousin who is a converted Jew and has lived in Israel for the last year and a half. Since he has been there I started paying more attention to what is going on over there.

Israel has a right to defend itself, but when will killing 10 for every 1 begin to work? It is not working and this last war has shown that.

As soon as someone questions what Israel does they automatically become ant-semetic and that is not always the case. (I am not saying you do this)

[QUOTE=doggin94it]CR - I get the impression from your thread title that you think Israel f'd up by going to war in the first place rather than in their handling of the war.

Nothing could be further from the truth.[/QUOTE]