Thread: Crunch year for planet Earth

Crunch year for planet Earth

[QUOTE]LONDON, England (Reuters via CNN.com) -- This will be a crunch year for action on the climate crisis, a leading environmental lobbyist said on Wednesday.

Never have the opportunities been better and the danger from failure greater, Friends of the Earth chief Tony Juniper said in an interview with Reuters.

"There is an urgency that wasn't there before," Juniper said. "The science is there, the economics is there and the politics is there ...If they don't take this opportunity then we really should start to think about the future of life on earth."

The scientists who mind the "Doomsday Clock" moved it forward two minutes on Wednesday to five minutes until midnight, symbolizing the growing risk of the annihilation of civilization, and for the first time said global warming was a threat. (Full story)

Early next month the International Panel on Climate Change will produce the first of four key reports this year assessing the latest scientific knowledge on global warming.

This will be followed by a report in April on adaptation, one in May on mitigation and a final overview in November.

A European Union-United States summit in April is expected to focus on energy security, and a Group of Eight summit in early June will highlight energy and climate.

Sources close to the diplomatic process say British Prime Minister Tony Blair, seeking a lasting legacy from his decade in power before he stands down mid-year, wants the G-8 summit to agree an outline plan for further climate action.

Most scientists agree temperatures will rise by between 2 and 6 degrees Celsius this century, mainly because of increasing carbon emissions from burning fossil fuels for power and transport, putting millions of lives at risk from flood and famine.

Former World Bank chief economist Nicholas Stern said in October that urgent action on global warming was vital, and that delay would multiply the cost 20 times.

The Kyoto Protocol is the only global pact obliging signatories to cut carbon dioxide emissions, but the United States withdrew from it and booming emitters China and India are not signatories. It expires in 2012 and negotiations to find a way forward or a replacement are sluggish.

In early December environment ministers will meet on the Indonesian island of Bali to try to agree on global action to cut carbon emissions.

"There is the possibility of a deal here," said Juniper.

"The industrialized countries could say they are willing to negotiate cuts to follow on from Kyoto, and the developing countries could say they would be willing to enter negotiations some time soon. That could happen at Bali," he added.

U.S. President George W. Bush, who rejected Kyoto, will have left office by 2009 and the mood in the United States has become more favorable to action on climate change.

"The momentum is developing. Everybody keeps talking about a window of opportunity. We haven't seen a convergence like this before. If we don't act now, when will there be a chance like this again?" asked Juniper.[/QUOTE]

So it's now or never, eh?

All Pro
    When the clock reaches midnight, and doomsday doesn't arrive, does that prove libs are full of sh*t?

When the dems have fully succeeded in pu$$yfying America by stopping the necessary actions against iran and they declare nuclear success, how many minutes forward will the doomsday clock move forward?

Maybe it will move back a 1/2 an hour since nuclear weapons will finally be in the hands of a responsible government.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb]When the clock reaches midnight, and doomsday doesn't arrive, does that prove libs are full of sh*t?

When the dems have fully succeeded in pu$$yfying America by stopping the necessary actions against iran and they declare nuclear success, how many minutes forward will the doomsday clock move forward?

Maybe it will move back a 1/2 an hour since nuclear weapons will finally be in the hands of a responsible government.[/QUOTE]

blaa blaa blaa blaa blaa

[url]http://www.jamesspann.com/wordpress/?p=650[/url]

[quote]“The Weather Channel” Mess

January 18, 2007, 5:45 pm | James Spann | Op/Ed

Well, well. Some “climate expert” on “The Weather Channel” wants to take away AMS certification from those of us who believe the recent “global warming” is a natural process. So much for “tolerance”, huh?

I have been in operational meteorology since 1978, and I know dozens and dozens of broadcast meteorologists all over the country. Our big job: look at a large volume of raw data and come up with a public weather forecast for the next seven days. I do not know of a single TV meteorologist who buys into the man-made global warming hype. I know there must be a few out there, but I can’t find them. Here are the basic facts you need to know:

*Billions of dollars of grant money is flowing into the pockets of those on the man-made global warming bandwagon. No man-made global warming, the money dries up. This is big money, make no mistake about it. Always follow the money trail and it tells a story. Even the lady at “The Weather Channel” probably gets paid good money for a prime time show on climate change. No man-made global warming, no show, and no salary. Nothing wrong with making money at all, but when money becomes the motivation for a scientific conclusion, then we have a problem. For many, global warming is a big cash grab.

*The climate of this planet has been changing since God put the planet here. It will always change, and the warming in the last 10 years is not much difference than the warming we saw in the 1930s and other decades. And, lets not forget we are at the end of the ice age in which ice covered most of North America and Northern Europe.

If you don’t like to listen to me, find another meteorologist with no tie to grant money for research on the subject. I would not listen to anyone that is a politician, a journalist, or someone in science who is generating revenue from this issue.

In fact, I encourage you to listen to WeatherBrains episode number 12, featuring Alabama State Climatologist John Christy, and WeatherBrains episode number 17, featuring Dr. William Gray of Colorado State University, one of the most brilliant minds in our science.

WeatherBrains, by the way, is our weekly 30 minute netcast.

I have nothing against “The Weather Channel”, but they have crossed the line into a political and cultural region where I simply won’t go.[/quote]

[QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb]When the clock reaches midnight, and doomsday doesn't arrive, does that prove libs are full of sh*t?

[/QUOTE]

I believe the hysteria on different subjects that the libtards have been fomenting for the past 30 years already proves they are full of sh*t.

But that's just me.........

Personally, I am waiting for Bitonti's opinion on this. Don't dissapoint me Bit. :D

Oh crap lets just commit mass suicide now!

Jets Insider VIP
    [url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16671785/site/newsweek/[/url]

[B]Elite scientists and evangelicals put aside their differences to save the Earth.[/B]
    A group of 28 scientists and evangelical Christians today announced their commitment to working together to address global and environmental climate change--an issue that they say is pressing enough to trump any theological differences between the groups. Eric Chivian, director of the Center for Health and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical School, is one of the scientists leading the collaboration. In an interview with NEWSWEEK’s Samantha Henig, Chivian discussed the origins of this peculiar union, what the two groups have in common, how the evangelical Christian community can help scientists and the spiritual significance of his fruit garden...

--------------------------------------------------------

Hall Of Fame
    GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

First, capitalism was doomed to fail and lead to mass poverty and lowered living standards. When that didn't happen, they said it could never be sustained. Since it has been sustained, they are now blaming capitalism for the destruction of the earth. Typical.

Let us all repent for our sins, lest we be cast into the fires of hell and please, do not eat the forbidden fruit of the internal combustion engine.

Until China's forced to follow it as well, to hell with the Kyoto treaty.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

First, capitalism was doomed to fail and lead to mass poverty and lowered living standards. When that didn't happen, they said it could never be sustained. Since it has been sustained, they are now blaming capitalism for the destruction of the earth. Typical.

Let us all repent for our sins, lest we be cast into the fires of hell and please, do not eat the forbidden fruit of the internal combustion engine.[/QUOTE]

still getting your science from ClimateChangeFacts.org are we?

Past, Present, and Future Temperatures

I may not agree with the title (Crunch) of this thread, I will continue to state that the whisper is getting louder.....

[url]http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/hockeystickFAQ.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]I may not agree with the title (Crunch) of this thread, I will continue to state that the whisper is getting louder.....

[url]http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/science/hockeystickFAQ.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Right, but you drive gas-guzzling trucks though, because it's convenient for you. So, you ostensibly care about GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!! but you haven't really altered your lifestyle.

I mean, a tricked-out Escalade is a tricked-out Escalade. I have an idea, why don't you put a Stop Global Warming bumper sticker on your trucks?? That's a far better way to get your "message" than posting on this forum, no?

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Right, but you drive gas-guzzling trucks though, because it's convenient for you. So, you ostensibly care about GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!! but you haven't really altered your lifestyle.

I mean, a tricked-out Escalade is a tricked-out Escalade. I have an idea, why don't you put a Stop Global Warming bumper sticker on your trucks?? That's a far better way to get your "message" than posting on this forum, no?[/QUOTE]

I have never owned a SUV.