Thread: About Time

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

About Time

[url]http://www.ktlkfm.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=1609664[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    See, this proves how bad Bush and the US military f'd up in Iraq. People such as Moqtada al-Sadr and the likes of him should have been killed...I mean they should have mysteriously disappeared :dunno: in the chaos when US troops first went into Iraq.

Until we grow up and stop hand-holding the Iraqis, the insurgents will continue to cause violence with [U]impunity[/U]. We are not going to win this war until the Commander-In-Chief and his military generals get their heads out of their collective butt and start taking it to our enemies.

[B][I]Radical Cleric Aide Held[/I][/B]

[I]U.S. and Iraqi troops seized a prominent spokesman for Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, confronting a movement that has a key role in the ruling coalition but is accused by Washington of running death squads.

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. and Iraqi troops seized a prominent spokesman for Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr on Friday, confronting a movement that has a key role in the ruling coalition but is accused by Washington of running death squads.

The midnight raid near Baghdad's Sadr City district, which Sadr's aides angrily called an "American provocation," came as Defense Secretary Robert Gates flew in to the southern city of Basra to meet the commander in Iraq, General George Casey.

Dealing with Sadr and his Mehdi Army militia is a burning issue for U.S. forces and Shi'ite Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki as they prepare what many see as a last-ditch effort to rein in sectarian violence that is pushing Iraq into civil war.

Sadr, a young populist cleric with a mass following and some backing from Shi'ite Iran, is an ally of Maliki, who has been criticised by Washington and leaders of the once dominant Sunni Arab minority for failing so far to disarm the Mehdi Army.

Maliki, however, has said this month he will crack down on Shi'ite militias and said 400 Mehdi Army members had been arrested in mainly Shi'ite southern Iraq over recent days.

Friday's move appeared to be part of a campaign of targeted operations which senior Shi'ite politicians have told Reuters are being mounted against key figures in the Mehdi Army. It was not clear which was the main suspect among at least three people arrested, including Abdul-Hadi al-Darraji, a spokesman for Sadr.

Government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said Darraji's arrest was "not against the Sadrists" as a political movement but due to security concerns about Darraji, who would be released if an investigation cleared him. The U.S. military did not name the main suspect, who it said was held with two others.

In a statement that said Iraqi special forces backed by American advisers conducted the operation, it said it arrested a death squad leader wanted for kidnap, torture and murder and said he was linked to fugitive Shi'ite warlord Abu Deraa.

One senior source in the Sadr movement said Darraji may not have been the main target as he was detained with "guests," one of whom may have been a senior Mehdi Army commander.

KILLINGS

Shi'ite militias, along with Sunni insurgent groups, are blamed for thousands of killings over the past year -- the United Nations says more than 34,000 civilians died in 2006. Dozens of people are found tortured and shot in Baghdad every day.

Condemning the arrest, the leader of the Sadrist bloc in parliament, Nassar al-Rubaie, told Reuters: "This is a great provocation to the Sadrists but it will not drag us into doing what the Americans want, which is to create chaos in Iraq."

Government spokesman Dabbagh said the operation had Maliki's full backing: "This is not against the Sadrists. It is against people with security question marks against them."

Rubaie, calling Darraji a "moderate," said other government officials told him they had been unaware of the plans for the raid. But Dabbagh stressed that it was a "joint operation."

The U.S. military said: "In an Iraqi-led operation, special Iraqi army forces captured a high-level, illegal armed group leader during operations with Coalition advisers."

It said the main suspect was accused of leading "punishment" activities -- an apparent reference to informal courts meting out rough justice according strict interpretations of Islam.

After criticism from Washington, Maliki has announced that the coming crackdown in Baghdad, backed by most of the 21,500 American reinforcements being sent by President George W. Bush, will tackle Shi'ite militias as well as Sunni insurgents.

During a previous, unsuccessful sweep against militants in the capital last summer, U.S. commanders were angered when Maliki ordered the release of a senior aide to the young cleric.

But last month, another aide was shot dead by a U.S. soldier during a joint raid in the Shi'ite holy city of Najaf.

Sadr himself has publicly distanced himself from violence blamed on his Mehdi Army supporters, whom the United States has called the biggest threat to the security of Iraq.

In turn, Maliki appeared to publicly distance himself from Sadr when he told journalists on Wednesday that, in the past four years, he had only spoken to Sadr twice.

Fellow Shi'ite leaders say they are negotiating to keep Sadr and his political movement inside the main Shi'ite bloc while at the same time hoping to disarm his militia followers.[/I]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    :feedback:

Curiosity is killing me. Is anyone here.....even remotely interested in the US winning/ending the war in Iraq besides me?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet]:feedback:

Curiosity is killing me. Is anyone here.....even remotely interested in the US winning/ending the war in Iraq besides me?[/QUOTE]

The war is over. Bush is keeping it going. We need to get our troops home now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somewhere between 19 and 24 US military personnel died in Iraq yesterday. There's no exact number because the US military has trouble counting.

Bush should be Impeached!

The idiot US military generals in Iraq should be fired!!

Where is the CIA?

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet]Curiosity is killing me. Is anyone here.....even remotely interested in the US winning/ending the war in Iraq besides me?[/QUOTE]

Yeah we do, Albany...but alas! It is hopeless.

Hoping to win the war in Iraq w/ the administration we have now is like hoping to win the Daytona 500 with this:

[IMG]http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2006/08/segway-x2.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 01-22-2007 at 12:54 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet]Bush should be Impeached! [/QUOTE]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that he would have had to have been elected in the first place to qualify for being impeached. Since he stole the Presidency in the non-violent cout d'etat of 2000, I don't believe he qualifies to be impeached

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius]Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that he would have had to have been elected in the first place to qualify for being impeached. Since he stole the Presidency in the non-violent cout d'etat of 2000, I don't believe he qualifies to be impeached[/QUOTE]

Please don't bring that up...it's a dead horse that has been beaten, raped, sodomized, water boarded, burned, beat again, disemboweled, skinned, scalped, decapitated and urinated on.

I agree w/ you, but we have to put 2000 behind us...it just makes us look crazy when we bring it up 7 years later, kinda like the Republicans blaming Clinton for everything.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]Please don't bring that up...it's a dead horse that has been beaten, raped, sodomized, water boarded, burned, beat again, disemboweled, skinned, scalped, decapitated and urinated on.[/QUOTE]

And I think Cheney shot it in the face! :D

But I'm not a Dem so I'm allowed to bring it up

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]Please don't bring that up...it's a dead horse that has been beaten, raped, sodomized, water boarded, burned, beat again, disemboweled, skinned, scalped, decapitated and urinated on.

I agree w/ you, but we have to put 2000 behind us...it [U][B]just makes us look crazy when we bring it up 7 years later[/B][/U], kinda like the Republicans blaming Clinton for everything.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes it does.

One day, thousands of years from now, the Right will get over Clinton, and the left will get over Bush.

Hopefully humanity can live that long.