Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Chinese blew up a satellite: what's the doomsday clock at now?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Chinese blew up a satellite: what's the doomsday clock at now?

Funny.

You'd think this clock would have moved forward just a tad since the [color=red][b]RED[/b][/color] chinese just entered the "war in space". Did I miss something or did the arms race just heat up a bit?

Why, oh why, am I not surprised?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/01/19/china.missile.ap/index.html[/url]

Expect to see more of this kind of stuff over the next few years. China is going to continue to f-ck with the US and flex its muscles. Not so much to the point of causing direct confrontation, but definitely enough to show they're not afraid of us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey weeb

the clock is moved by scientists not liberals

don't be scared of science

ps- the USA has been knocking out satellites since the mid 1980s

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    competition is good..
    Perhaps the US will now focus on educating its children to keep up with the Chinese.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman]competition is good..
    Perhaps the US will now focus on educating its children to keep up with the Chinese.[/QUOTE]

Do you think China is better at Education that the USA?

If so, why do you think that is?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]hey weeb

ps- the USA has been knocking out satellites since the mid 1980s[/QUOTE]

So if you're a scientist, you aren't liberal? All the scientist touting global warming are all conservatives, I guess.

Only a liberal such as yourself could take comfort that a hostile, communist rival would enter the Star Wars race.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman]competition is good..
    Perhaps the US will now focus on educating its children to keep up with the Chinese.[/QUOTE]

Like learning to speak mandarin.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Do you think China is better at Education that the USA?

If so, why do you think that is?[/QUOTE]

[I][B]U.S. engineering education is under as much pressure from globalization as many industries. Other countries, including India and China, are educating large number of engineers (Chart 1), and their enrollments are climbing (Chart 2). Comparatively speaking, U.S. enrollments are flat at best, so there’s plenty of concern about preventing those who start engineering school from dropping out, as well as making sure graduates are ready to do the type of innovative work needed to keep the United States competitive.[/B][/I]

[url]http://www.todaysengineer.org/2005/Sep/education.asp[/url]

This is a major issue and has been for a few years in Washington and at the DOE. America made a mistake with the "War on Drugs". Instead of educating our young people, we put them in jail.

That error has caused nations like India and China to elevate their game when it comes to engineering and science. Why do you think we outsource engineering jobs to India? We do not have enough in the US and at the rate we are going the other nations will soon pass us...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb]Funny.

You'd think this clock would have moved forward just a tad since the [color=red][b]RED[/b][/color] chinese just entered the "war in space". Did I miss something or did the arms race just heat up a bit?

Why, oh why, am I not surprised?[/QUOTE]

jeez...wonder where they got the technology from?? :rolleyes:

what a coincidence- hillary just kicked off her campaign.... ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]...hillary just kicked off her campaign.... ;)[/QUOTE]

Quick...set the clock for 30 seconds to Midnight!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

South Africa, Chinese sign landmark coal-to-liquids agreement

This is how China will get another advantage on the US. While we are arguing over new types of fuels to use, the Chniese are jumping on it.

Our reliance on enemy country sourced fuels makes our military dependent and vulnerable. China is using a smarter approach. Now I am sure that a reason like this can show the republicans why the Bush admin is a failure....

[url]http://www.sasol.com/sasol_internet/frontend/navigation.jsp?articleTypeID=2&articleId=14900002&navid=4&rootid=4[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]

[/QUOTE]

Science knows all, don't you know...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]This is how China will get another advantage on the US. While we are arguing over new types of fuels to use, the Chniese are jumping on it.

Our reliance on enemy country sourced fuels makes our military dependent and vulnerable. China is using a smarter approach. Now I am sure that a reason like this can show the republicans why the Bush admin is a failure....

[url]http://www.sasol.com/sasol_internet/frontend/navigation.jsp?articleTypeID=2&articleId=14900002&navid=4&rootid=4[/url][/QUOTE]

China is one of the bigest pulloters in the World and they like us have huge coal reserves. Bush has pushed clean coal technology going back to his run in 2000 and has pushed the agenda on coal and has asked for more nuclear and increased drilling both off shore and in Alaska to reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs]China is one of the bigest pulloters in the World and they like us have huge coal reserves. Bush has pushed clean coal technology going back to his run in 2000 and has pushed the agenda on coal and has asked for more nuclear and increased drilling both off shore and in Alaska to reduce our dependence on foreign oil.[/QUOTE]

Mr. Bush has yet to [COLOR=Red][B]fund the clean coal intiative via the DOE[/B]. [/COLOR] He is funding a stupid war in Iraq and letting other countries get the upper hand on us.

By the way, here is some info on Liquid Coal:

[url]http://energy.seekingalpha.com/article/23025[/url]
    Last edited by Jetdawgg; 01-21-2007 at 03:23 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]Mr. Bush has yet to [COLOR=Red][B]fund the clean coal intiative via the DOE[/B]. [/COLOR] He is funding a stupid war in Iraq and letting other countries get the upper hand on us.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/16/AR2006121601087.html?nav=hcmodule[/url]

It appears that the Republican congress punted this one over to the Dems. Lets see what they do, I'm betting they don't continue funding or substantially cut it.

Lets see if the Dems really are willing to walk the walk on energy and the environment. The best thing we could do is tariff OPEC oil and bring the price back up. This would have a three fold impact. 1 it would reduce our usage of Oil coming from our enemies. High sustained prices would lead to business development of alternate fuels and the high price would squeeze the American consumer out of large cars and inefficient energy use which would help on global warming and clean air. Let's see if the Dems have the balls to advocate this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs][url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/16/AR2006121601087.html?nav=hcmodule[/url]

It appears that the Republican congress punted this one over to the Dems. Lets see what they do, I'm betting they don't continue funding or substantially cut it.

Lets see if the Dems really are willing to walk the walk on energy and the environment. The best thing we could do is tariff OPEC oil and bring the price back up. This would have a three fold impact. 1 it would reduce our usage of Oil coming from our enemies. High sustained prices would lead to business development of alternate fuels and the high price would squeeze the American consumer out of large cars and inefficient energy use which would help on global warming and clean air. Let's see if the Dems have the balls to advocate this.[/QUOTE]

I think that some of the funding is coming from the recent moves on the oil companies.

I will know of some more funding this week or next regarding alternative energies at the DOE.

I agree that high gas prices spur innovation for alt fuels. Those stocks have dropped along with the barrel of oil price recently.

Let see if the democrats have balls....Also the AF is looking at Fuel Cell technology. They are not buying yet, but the interest is there