4. Perez
    5. Pelfrey

IMO of course

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Humber will beat out Pelfrey... 2 more ML ready pitches

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there is no doubt that the Mets will have to make at least 1 trade for an established starting pitcher during the season. Probably 2 and maybe 3.

edit: That is not counting on Pedro coming back.
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 01-20-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I think there is no doubt that the Mets will have to make at least 1 trade for an established starting pitcher during the season. Probably 2 and maybe 3.

1 i agree with....

2 or 3 is being a bit obnoxious

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan

I would like an innings eater so the bullpen isn't taxed. If they are not overworked, they should be very good. Also, I'm not counting on a full season for El Duque and I can see Glavine going down (purely because of his age). So having an average pitcher out there every fifth day would be very beneficial to go along with our high-risk, high-reward pitchers at the bottom of the rotation.

That being said, it seems like the market is still insane and I would not deal top prospects for a middle of the rotation innings eater. If the market is too expensive, it makes more sense to just wait - even if that means you didn't improve as much as you wanted to in a given season. It should work out in the long run when the foolish teams are bogged down by poor contracts and need to dump players.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm comfterable with Glavine and El Duque as long as they stay healthy.

I see big things from John Maine this year, and I think by midseason he'll be considered the 'ace' of the staff. Just my opinion though.

But I have no F'n clue what to expect from that other 40% of the rotation. Perez and Pelfrey have all the stuff to be able to succeed, and have shown it over short periods of time in the past. But can they put it togeather consistantly is the big issue....

I would like to see the Mets go out and get another arm for that reason... I'd still love to see the Mets actually make the Heilman and Milledge for Haren trade that we've heard so much about already. If we did that we could let Perez and Pelfrey battle it out for the spot on the rotation and should any pitcher go down have Pelfrey ready to fill in their shoes.

I highly doubt Humber is on the opening day staff because he has some stamina issues after missing so much time with Tommy John surgury. They'll want to send him down to AAA and micro-manage his innings so he can be a potential midseason call-up. Kinda like Jon Lester was for the Redsox last season.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Humber will beat out Pelfrey... 2 more ML ready pitches
    I agree.

Glavine is usually good half the season and sucks the other half, even when healthy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    Well, yeah but we can't be assured of that. I don't even think it's reasonable to count on El Duque for a whole season. And he's our #2.

I see big things from John Maine this year, and I think by midseason he'll be considered the 'ace' of the staff. Just my opinion though.
    He may be our ace, but he doesn't have ace stuff. Let's hope he's not the ace because he's just the "brightest kid in special ed."
    But I have no F'n clue what to expect from that other 40% of the rotation. Perez and Pelfrey have all the stuff to be able to succeed, and have shown it over short periods of time in the past. But can they put it togeather consistantly is the big issue....
    Perez... definitely. He's a puzzling case who has to work on his emotions and consistency but he absolutely has elite stuff.

Pelfrey has a nasty fastball but needs to work on his off-speed and breaking stuff.

I would like to see the Mets go out and get another arm for that reason... I'd still love to see the Mets actually make the Heilman and Milledge for Haren trade that we've heard so much about already. If we did that we could let Perez and Pelfrey battle it out for the spot on the rotation and should any p
    itcher go down have Pelfrey ready to fill in their shoes.
    I would love Haren. He's a legit #2 now with a slight chance at becoming a #1.

I highly doubt Humber is on the opening day staff because he has some stamina issues after missing so much time with Tommy John surgury. They'll want to send him down to AAA and micro-manage his innings so he can be a potential midseason call-up. Kinda like Jon Lester was for the Redsox last season.
    Well, if that's the case, it would make sense to use him now, if he pitches well, rather than after he hits the wall after about 125 IP.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perez is gonna drive me nuts, hes so inconsistent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdemon
    1 i agree with....

2 or 3 is being a bit obnoxious
    Well think about it. If 1 pitcher (El Duque) breaks down and is injured for an extended period of time and another pitcher (one or both from the Oliver Perez, Pelfrey, Humber, Sosa group) is not effective, that's 2 starters that you will need and possibly 3.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m

It is unlikely that both will stay healthy.

I think John Maine is a fine #4, but nothing more than that. JMO - we'll see this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brad Radke is still unsigned, I wonder if they'll go after him. He has post season experience and might be a good 1 year lease.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I heard Radke was going to retire.

Do we think that Williams will be plugging the holes when el duque takes a couple days off?
    I would not be shocked if Sosa was our long man. I don't know the types of contracts that exist and if they are able to be called up and down like a Heath Bell.
    Doctors and trainers report that Pedro could be coming back with a lil more zip on the ball in comparison with 06.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    Well, yeah but we can't be assured of that. I don't even think it's reasonable to count on El Duque for a whole season. And he's our #2.
    El Duque was able to start 29 games last year and Glavine started 32, yeah they're more of a 5-6 inning guy nowadays but as long as they're healthy I have enough confidence in them to hold the opponent at bay for 5-6 innings and get it to our bullpen with a chance to win the game.

He may be our ace, but he doesn't have ace stuff. Let's hope he's not the ace because he's just the "brightest kid in special ed."
    I don't know about you, but I was impressed with how Maine handled himself last season both on and off the field. Overall, he did a great job all year long of keeping guys off of the bases and strikeing guys out at a fairly good rate and that usually translates into long-term success. He is a little prone to the long-ball, but personally it seemed like he sometimes lost focus out there that caused it and some good coaching should be able to fix that.

Perez... definitely. He's a puzzling case who has to work on his emotions and consistency but he absolutely has elite stuff.
    Agreed, in terms of pure stuff alone, he might be top 10 in all of baseball. He just needs to control his emotions and find some consistancy in his throwing motion so he can throw more strikes. He's shown flashes of it, but he has to put it togeather consistantly.

Pelfrey has a nasty fastball but needs to work on his off-speed and breaking stuff.
    Agreed again. This is also one of the reasons why I'm hesatant to start him as we don't want to rush him. If he proves he is ready that's one thing, but he is only 23. I'd rather sign someone and have him completely ready for his Age 24 season then rush him and risk stunting his development long-term.

Well, if that's the case, it would make sense to use him now, if he pitches well, rather than after he hits the wall after about 125 IP.
    Not really. If Humber comes up and looks good, they'd be under a ton of pressure to keep him up all season long and then they'd be subjecting him to the Year-After Effect. If Humber comes up and looks bad, then they'd be criticized for Rushing him to the majors. It's a lose-lose situation to bring him up right now.

Wait a couple months, micro-manage his innings in AAA until about June and then call him up and then he'll be able to pitch the remainder of the season without risking damageing his arm long-term.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21
    Glavine is usually good half the season and sucks the other half, even when healthy.
    While the stats would agree with you the past few years, I tend to think that is more of a fluke then anything else. In 2005 he completely revamped the way he was pitching to hitters midseason and that change caused him to have an excellent second half of the season. Then he carried that success into 2006 where he had a terrific first half and then began to struggle. Later it was found out that he had that issue with his pitching hand, which I believe led to the struggles, as he was a very good pitcher throughout September and the Postseason when he came back from that 'injury'.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolGreen222
    Brad Radke is still unsigned, I wonder if they'll go after him. He has post season experience and might be a good 1 year lease.
    Yeah, Radke said he was going to retire.

Although I'd place a call and let him know we're interested if he decided to come back. Although he'd probably return to the Twins if he went anywheres.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j-rome
    I think I heard Radke was going to retire.

Do we think that Williams will be plugging the holes when el duque takes a couple days off?
    I would not be shocked if Sosa was our long man. I don't know the types of contracts that exist and if they are able to be called up and down like a Heath Bell.
    Doctors and trainers report that Pedro could be coming back with a lil more zip on the ball in comparison with 06.
    I thought Williams would replace Oliver but it looks like thatll be Sosa. Williams was solid, not spectacular, every time he pitched last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolGreen222
    Radke already officially retired and if he was going to sign with a team, it would only be the Twins. He took a lot less to stay with Minnesota in his last contract.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We bette have a great pen because that staff doesn't scare the LI Ducks..

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    This really blows. With the Tides no longer a Mets farm team, I'm not going to be as acquainted with their prospects. Damn it.

We have anyone that lives around New Orleans that can keep us posted?!?!