Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey dawgg, what do you think of your fellow Marine?

Hey dawgg, what do you think of your fellow Marine?

Garwood's Conviction Is Upheld By Camp Lejuene Commandant

AP
    Published: June 9, 1981

The commanding general at Camp Lejeune today upheld the court-martial and sentence of [B]Pfc. Robert R. Garwood of the Marines, who was convicted in February of collaborating with the enemy while a prisoner of war in Vietnam. [/B]

Maj. Gen. David Barker issued a short statement saying that he had reviewed and approved the findings and sentence. [B]Private Garwood, 34 years old, was convicted on five counts of collaborating with the enemy in two of the 14 years he was a prisoner in Vietnam. He was also convicted of assaulting another prisoner. [/B]

The private was sentenced to be [B]discharged dishonorably from the corps [/B] and ordered him to forfeit all pay from the date of his conviction. He was also reduced to private.

[QUOTE=JetFanFL]Garwood's Conviction Is Upheld By Camp Lejuene Commandant

AP
    Published: June 9, 1981

The commanding general at Camp Lejeune today upheld the court-martial and sentence of [B]Pfc. Robert R. Garwood of the Marines, who was convicted in February of collaborating with the enemy while a prisoner of war in Vietnam. [/B]

Maj. Gen. David Barker issued a short statement saying that he had reviewed and approved the findings and sentence. [B]Private Garwood, 34 years old, was convicted on five counts of collaborating with the enemy in two of the 14 years he was a prisoner in Vietnam. He was also convicted of assaulting another prisoner. [/B]

The private was sentenced to be [B]discharged dishonorably from the corps [/B] and ordered him to forfeit all pay from the date of his conviction. He was also reduced to private.[/QUOTE]

He was convicted of working with the NVA/VC units. He is a traitor.

He was discharged from the Marine Corps and needed to be.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]He was convicted of working with the NVA/VC units. He is a traitor.

He was discharged from the Marine Corps and needed to be.[/QUOTE]

Excellent response! I know someone personally that was in one of the camps with Garwood...read the book by Frank Anton (Why Didn't You Get Us Out)...Frank and I served in the same unit.

[QUOTE=JetFanFL]Excellent response! I know someone personally that was in one of the camps with Garwood...read the book by Frank Anton (Why Didn't You Get Us Out)...Frank and I served in the same unit.[/QUOTE]

I was in CLNC at the time of his trial. There was one guy in my unit who was hated but not nearly as much. No one could come close to Garwood.

They made a real example of him too. The Marines Corps don't like traitors, cowards, gays and enemies.....You could put them all in them boat and they would get the same "treatment".

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]I was in CLNC at the time of his trial. There was one guy in my unit who was hated but not nearly as much. No one could come close to Garwood.

They made a real example of him too. The Marines Corps don't like traitors, cowards, gays and enemies.....You could put them all in them boat and they would get the same "treatment".[/QUOTE]
    Kind of makes you wonder how many stay in the closet because of that.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan]Kind of makes you wonder how many stay in the closet because of that.[/QUOTE]

The "Brass" worries/wonders about it more than anyone else. I just know that there are a few hated groups of people by the USMC.

It is not for the politically correct

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]I was in CLNC at the time of his trial. There was one guy in my unit who was hated but not nearly as much. No one could come close to Garwood.

They made a real example of him too. The Marines Corps don't like traitors, cowards, gays and enemies.....You could put them all in them boat and they would get the same "treatment".[/QUOTE]

An undercover Al-Quaeda operative would get the same treatment as a homosexual? Christ.

[QUOTE=pauliec]An undercover Al-Quaeda operative would get the same treatment as a homosexual? Christ.[/QUOTE]

It's the MARINE CORPS....The Marine Corps is no joke....

[QUOTE=pauliec]An undercover Al-Quaeda operative would get the same treatment as a homosexual? Christ.[/QUOTE]

Not a chance... Jetdawgg is grossly oversimplifying the prejudices in the Corps. He's just acknowledging them because they do exist.

[QUOTE=finlee17]Not a chance... Jetdawgg is grossly oversimplifying the prejudices in the Corps. He's just acknowledging them because they do exist.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, that guy I mentioned in the above post was gay. The treatment he got was unreal. I did not know why they hated him so much.

Then one day around the barracks I asked him why....Once he told me.... He should have been a communists for all that mattered.

Marines would growl and spit at him. Some would throw things. Verbal barbs were the least of his worries. He had no friends nor anyone he could talk to.

Look at it like this, was your loyalty going to be to his humanity or the Marine Corps?

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]He had no friends nor anyone he could talk to.[/QUOTE]

What about you? You should clarify yourself here Dawgg.

[QUOTE=Warfish]What about you? You should clarify yourself here Dawgg.[/QUOTE]

My loyalty was to the Marine Corps. Once I found out he was gay, I knew that he was "off limits" to say.

No. I am not gay. Are you gay?

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]My loyalty was to the Marine Corps. Once I found out he was gay, I knew that he was "off limits" to say.

No. I am not gay. Are you gay?[/QUOTE]

So you were not his friend. And you did not help him.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]I don't know, that guy I mentioned in the above post was gay. The treatment he got was unreal. I did not know why they hated him so much.

Then one day around the barracks I asked him why....Once he told me.... He should have been a communists for all that mattered.

Marines would growl and spit at him. Some would throw things. Verbal barbs were the least of his worries. He had no friends nor anyone he could talk to.

Look at it like this, was your loyalty going to be to his humanity or the Marine Corps?[/QUOTE]

I'm not disagreeing on how individual Marines will treat other Marines in reference to them being gay. However, a traitor or a Marine that is working to undermine the Marine Corps would be treated differently than one that is gay... giving the context of the situation. One poises a more serious threat and the other is considered a social bane.

In the case of the gay Marine at Lejeune, I feel he was compared to Garwood to humiliate him. I could be wrong... you were there and I wasn't.

But nobody in there right mind would make the offenses equivalent. Garwood's actions had much more serious consequences to the Marines he served with, to the Marine Corps as an institution, and to the nation as a whole. He was a traitor.

The gay Marine on the other hand, would be considered a social disgrace to the Corps. It is no where near the actrocities that Gawood committed as a coward.

As I said, given the context of the situations... No way a gay Marine would be treated equivalent to a traitor. It would be a clear example of Marine leadership reacting contrary to the reality of the current situation. It doesn't make sense.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]
    No. I am not gay. Are you gay?[/QUOTE]
    No.

And Raoul is just a friend, nothing more.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]

Look at it like this, was your loyalty going to be to his humanity or the Marine Corps?[/QUOTE]

No offense, but your fellow Corpsmen sound like a bunch of animals. If I'm serving in a unit where one guy could possibly be responsible for saving my life, I'm sure as hell not going to growl and spit at him. Let him **** who he wants in peacetime.

[QUOTE=Warfish]So you were not his friend. And you did not help him.[/QUOTE]

I did not hate him. I did not treat him with hostility. I had my own issues at CLNC like every other Marine.

I had my own group of friends. He came into the Battalion after 5 years of AWOL. No one really knew him and he only stayed for a few weeks.

[QUOTE=pauliec]No offense, but your fellow Corpsmen sound like a bunch of animals. If I'm serving in a unit where one guy could possibly be responsible for saving my life, I'm sure as hell not going to growl and spit at him. Let him **** who he wants in peacetime.[/QUOTE

It's the Marines. It is a tough place. It is hard to explain it. He made choices in life and he ran into one that was beyond him.

The Marines can go to war at anytime. Upon his arrival, we were already training to free the hostages in Iran. He came to the base at a bad time. A lot of Marines were in a bad mood.

The thought of dying does not put you in a good mood.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg]I did not hate him. I did not treat him with hostility. I had my own issues at CLNC like every other Marine.

I had my own group of friends. He came into the Battalion after 5 years of AWOL. No one really knew him and he only stayed for a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

Be that as it may, it seems your view towards him was rather "un-Progressive".

How do you feel about Homosexuallity Dawgg?

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg][QUOTE=pauliec]No offense, but your fellow Corpsmen sound like a bunch of animals. If I'm serving in a unit where one guy could possibly be responsible for saving my life, I'm sure as hell not going to growl and spit at him. Let him **** who he wants in peacetime.[/QUOTE

It's the Marines. It is a tough place. It is hard to explain it. He made choices in life and he ran into one that was beyond him.

The Marines can go to war at anytime. Upon his arrival, we were already training to free the hostages in Iran. He came to the base at a bad time. A lot of Marines were in a bad mood.

The thought of dying does not put you in a good mood.[/QUOTE]

It's not like Marines are drafted, though. If you sign up for the USMC, don't you realize that your job is slightly more dangerous than all of your friends' from home jobs?

All this guy wanted to do was proudly serve his country with the best of the best. Sucks for him that, in this case, it wasn't true.