Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNN debunks false report about Obama - School not a madrassa

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

CNN debunks false report about Obama - School not a madrassa

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- Allegations that Sen. Barack Obama was educated in a radical Muslim school known as a "madrassa" are not accurate, according to CNN reporting.

Insight Magazine, which is owned by the same company as The Washington Times, reported on its Web site last week that associates of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-New York, had unearthed information the Illinois Democrat and likely presidential candidate attended a Muslim religious school known for teaching the most fundamentalist form of Islam.

Obama lived in Indonesia as a child, from 1967 to 1971, with his mother and stepfather and has acknowledged attending a Muslim school, but an aide said it was not a madrassa. (Watch video of Obama's school )

Insight attributed the information in its article to an unnamed source, who said it was discovered by "researchers connected to Senator Clinton." A spokesman for Clinton, who is also weighing a White House bid, denied that the campaign was the source of the Obama claim.

He called the story "an obvious right-wing hit job."

Insight stood by its story in a response posted on its Web site Monday afternoon.

The Insight article was cited several times Friday on Fox News and was also referenced by the New York Post, The Glenn Beck program on CNN Headline News and a number of political blogs. (Watch how the Obama "gossip" spread )

School not a madrassa
    But reporting by CNN in Jakarta, Indonesia and Washington, D.C., shows the allegations that Obama attended a madrassa to be false. CNN dispatched Senior International Correspondent John Vause to Jakarta to investigate.

He visited the Basuki school, which Obama attended from 1969 to 1971.

"This is a public school. We don't focus on religion," Hardi Priyono, deputy headmaster of the Basuki school, told Vause. "In our daily lives, we try to respect religion, but we don't give preferential treatment."

Vause reported he saw boys and girls dressed in neat school uniforms playing outside the school, while teachers were dressed in Western-style clothes.

"I came here to Barack Obama's elementary school in Jakarta looking for what some are calling an Islamic madrassa ... like the ones that teach hate and violence in Pakistan and Afghanistan," Vause said on the "Situation Room" Monday. "I've been to those madrassas in Pakistan ... this school is nothing like that."

Vause also interviewed one of Obama's Basuki classmates, Bandug Winadijanto, who claims that not a lot has changed at the school since the two men were pupils. Insight reported that Obama's political opponents believed the school promoted Wahhabism, a fundamentalist form of Islam, "and are seeking to prove it."

"It's not (an) Islamic school. It's general," Winadijanto said. "There is a lot of Christians, Buddhists, also Confucian. ... So that's a mixed school."

The Obama aide described Fox News' broadcasting of the Insight story "appallingly irresponsible."

Fox News executive Bill Shine told CNN "Reliable Sources" anchor Howard Kurtz that some of the network's hosts were simply expressing their opinions and repeatedly cited Insight as the source of the allegations.

Obama has noted in his two books, "Dreams From My Father" and "The Audacity of Hope," that he spent two years in a Muslim school and another two years in a Catholic school while living in Indonesia from age 6 to 10.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/22/obama.madrassa/index.html[/url]

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL at CNN for trying to be credible. I'll never forgive Anderson Cooper for his absolute hack job in reporting live from the West Virginia mining accident last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]LOL at CNN for trying to be credible. I'll never forgive Anderson Cooper for his absolute hack job in reporting live from the West Virginia mining accident last year.[/QUOTE]
    Well I will give you a taste of your own medicine. And the West Virginia mining accident has what to do with Obama? :D

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]Well I will give you a taste of your own medicine. And the West Virginia mining accident has what to do with Obama? :D[/QUOTE]

it doesn't...but the title of the thread has to do with CNN... :rolleyes:

of course if this is proven true and Obama's father is pointed out as an anti-semite you'll be congratulating everyone for how useful the article/thread/post is....

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]Well I will give you a taste of your own medicine. And the West Virginia mining accident has what to do with Obama? :D[/QUOTE]

please, we all know dawgg's intentions with this thread: to make another "clever" FAUX NEWS pun :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]it doesn't...but the title of the thread has to do with CNN... :rolleyes:

of course if this is proven true and Obama's father is pointed out as an anti-semite you'll be congratulating everyone for how useful the article/thread/post is....[/QUOTE]
    What are you trying to say? I am only interested if it has something to do with Jews? From what I undersand Obama was not raised by his father. I would care if Obama was an anti-Semite not his father.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]please, we all know dawgg's intentions with this thread: to make another "clever" FAUX NEWS pun :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Sorry I just thought it was an informative article clarifying a story about Obama's elementary school.

I didn't look at it as a CNN vs Fox news thread but I guess people here just like to look at everything as a left vs right thing.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]Sorry I just thought it was an informative article clarifying a story about Obama's elementary school.

I didn't look at it as a CNN vs Fox news thread but I guess people here just like to look at everything as a left vs right thing.[/QUOTE]

well, if you paid enough attention to dawgg's posts, you would quickly see a trend. They mostly revolve around conspiracy theories, Bush's lies, and the fact that "FAUX NEWS" (again, he's quite clever) is controlled by the lying Bush administration.

He even once said that he refuses to watch "24", because it is on FOX, and therefore must be Republican propaganda.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]well, if you paid enough attention to dawgg's posts, you would quickly see a trend. They mostly revolve around conspiracy theories, Bush's lies, and the fact that "FAUX NEWS" (again, he's quite clever) is controlled by the lying Bush administration.

He even once said that he refuses to watch "24", because it is on FOX, and therefore must be Republican propaganda.[/QUOTE]
    Ok that's fair, but I have this to ask you. Do you notice the same trend in some around here (no reason to name names) who say the same thing about anything on CNN or in the NY Times?

My main point is that I think this forum would be a better place if people paid more attention to content and not try to wage some left vs. right war and put everything in those terms.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]Ok that's fair, but I have this to ask you. Do you notice the same trend in some around here (no reason to name names) who say the same thing about anything on CNN or in the NY Times?

My main point is that I think this forum would be a better place if people paid more attention to content and not try to wage some left vs. right war and put everything in those terms.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on principle, but the sad truth is that bias truly does exist in every major media news outlet.

As soon as opinion is interjected or conclusions are drawn through the NY Times or the CBS Evening News (read: Dan Rather), or any major news outlet, then biases are prevalent.

It's just easier to watch the cable news networks in the middle of the day. CNN Headline News, Fox News Live, etc all just focus on straight news. Primetime is when the pundits come on, and they offer opinion.

Now, I have no problem with the pundit talk shows. My problem is with people who don't seem to realize that they are reporting opinions, not facts. The outcries against Bill O'Reilly are ridiculous. He's not a newscaster, he presents an opinion. It's OK to not agree with him. His job is to rile people up and at least get them thinking about current events.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]I agree with you on principle, but the sad truth is that bias truly does exist in every major media news outlet.

As soon as opinion is interjected or conclusions are drawn through the NY Times or the CBS Evening News (read: Dan Rather), or any major news outlet, then biases are prevalent.

It's just easier to watch the cable news networks in the middle of the day. CNN Headline News, Fox News Live, etc all just focus on straight news. Primetime is when the pundits come on, and they offer opinion.

Now, I have no problem with the pundit talk shows. My problem is with people who don't seem to realize that they are reporting opinions, not facts. The outcries against Bill O'Reilly are ridiculous. He's not a newscaster, he presents an opinion. It's OK to not agree with him. [B]His job is to rile people up and at least get them thinking about current events[/B].[/QUOTE]

I miss the days when the job of the news was to report the facts and question the integrity of the content they received

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]I miss the days when the job of the news was to report the facts and question the integrity of the content they received[/QUOTE]

That's just a product of media competition. Every news outlet wants to scoop each other and break a story first. It has nothing to do with political agendas.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]I agree with you on principle, but the sad truth is that bias truly does exist in every major media news outlet.

Now, I have no problem with the pundit talk shows. My problem is with people who don't seem to realize that they are reporting opinions, not facts. The outcries against Bill O'Reilly are ridiculous. He's not a newscaster, he presents an opinion. It's OK to not agree with him. His job is to rile people up and at least get them thinking about current events.[/QUOTE]
    I agree with you my friend. People have to differentiate between news divisions and editorial boards. I think the Wall St. Journal has a first rate news division and I believe what I read from them even though I almost totally disagree with their editorials. I think people should feel the same about the NY Times.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]I agree with you my friend. People have to differentiate between news divisions and editorial boards. I think the Wall St. Journal has a first rate news division and I believe what I read from them even though I almost totally disagree with their editorials. I think people should feel the same about the NY Times.[/QUOTE]

I think the Wall Street Journal is one of the few remaining print sources that delivers real, quality news. I think a lot of people don't like the NY Times because of that whole plagiarism scandal a few years ago. It's tough for a major newspaper like that to shake off that kind of stigma.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]I think the Wall Street Journal is one of the few remaining print sources that delivers real, quality news. I think a lot of people don't like the NY Times because of that whole plagiarism scandal a few years ago. It's tough for a major newspaper like that to shake off that kind of stigma.[/QUOTE]
    Why should the work of one author years ago affect everything that is written in that paper today? Is the Times the only paper to ever have such a scandal? To me that would be a reason not to believe that guy, not a whole news division.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]I miss the days when the job of the news was to report the facts and question the integrity of the content they received[/QUOTE]
    Miss the days when the Dan Rathers and Mary Mapes could sway the masses unchallenged, huh? I don't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]Miss the days when the Dan Rathers and Mary Mapes could sway the masses unchallenged, huh? I don't.[/QUOTE]

No my intent there was to say that the media was owned by more than a handful of companies.

Even in 1940, NYC had 8 daily newspapers

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan]Why should the work of one author years ago affect everything that is written in that paper today? Is the Times the only paper to ever have such a scandal? To me that would be a reason not to believe that guy, not a whole news division.[/QUOTE]

Plagiarism is akin to rape-and-murder in the newspaper business. Any mention of it will kill you.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]No my intent there was to say that the media was owned by more than a handful of companies.

Even in 1940, NYC had 8 daily newspapers[/QUOTE]

And yet, at that time, the majority of Americans had no idea what was going on in Europe, and that Hitler was building and using gas chambers to murder [I]millions [/I]of innocent Jews.

Imagine if the old newsreels in movie houses showed the hundreds of dead American soldiers piled up on the beaches of Normandy. That would have been a P.R. disaster for the President.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec]And yet, at that time, the majority of Americans had no idea what was going on in Europe, and that Hitler was building and using gas chambers to murder [I]millions [/I]of innocent Jews.

Imagine if the old newsreels in movie houses showed the hundreds of dead American soldiers piled up on the beaches of Normandy. That would have been a P.R. disaster for the President.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the news was being "squashed" somewhere. I am not that old yet. :yes: