Thread: Rocket's a Yankee in 22?

All Pro

Rocket's a Yankee in 22?

Does he know something we don't????

Cano changes number, just in case
    Makes Clemens' No. 22 available by switching to No. 24
    By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- If Roger Clemens returns to the Yankees later this year, his old uniform will be waiting for him.
    All-Star second baseman Robinson Cano has volunteered to give up his No. 22 for this season, according to a Yankees official, likely anticipating the possibility that Clemens will arrive in the Bronx to reclaim it at some point.

"I was happy to give up the number to a future Hall of Famer if he comes aboard," Cano said in Tuesday's edition of the New York Post. "Hopefully, he will be one of my teammates; I'll have the pleasure of playing with him."

Within the past week, Cano told clubhouse personnel that he would switch to uniform No. 24, a change that has been officially executed on the Yankees' roster.

With Spring Training less than three weeks away, uniforms are in the process of being tailored. The Yankees did not ask Cano to switch numbers, the official said.

At the 18th annual Baseball Assistance Team dinner in New York on Tuesday, Yankees catcher Jorge Posada shed some light on Cano's thought process.

"His dad's favorite player was Jackie Robinson, and he was named after Jackie Robinson," Posada said. "He wanted [No.] 42, but he couldn't have it, so he went with [No.] 24."

Clemens, 44, wore No. 22 for most of his five-year stay with the Yankees from 1999 to 2003, though he originally wore No. 12 -- a reversal of the uniform number he wore with the Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays. He made the switch from No. 21 because that number was issued to Paul O'Neill when Clemens joined the Yankees.

No. 21 has remained unassigned by the Yankees since O'Neill's retirement following the 2001 World Series.

But Clemens appears to hold a special affinity for No. 22, even negotiating his 2006 contract to contain a reference to the number -- had Clemens played a full season with the Houston Astros, his contract would have been worth a reported $22,000,022.

As it was, Clemens earned a pro-rated percentage of that salary after joining the club in late June, going 7-6 with a 2.30 ERA in 19 games for Houston.

The right-hander would not be expected to reach a decision regarding his playing future until at least after Spring Training. If Clemens plays, he is expected to choose among the Astros, Red Sox and Yankees.

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

All Pro
    I read it today, why o why is George so hook on this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40
    I read it today, why o why is George so hook on this guy.
    Because George wants him to retire a Yankee. George collects retired numbers like no other owner I've known.

I'm a Yankees fan and I hate the entire retired numbers thing...pretty soon they'll be out of numbers and start using the alphabet...

All Pro
    Oh boy, just when I think the Yanks are starting to do good things...

All Pro
    Let me get this straight......you guys don't want Clemens??

If the Yankees get him, I think he will def. be an upgrade from what they have now.

Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    Let me get this straight......you guys don't want Clemens??

If the Yankees get him, I think he will def. be an upgrade from what they have now.
    Yes, I would take him...but, let's face it, his days are numbered and it's more publicity than anything...George gets his rocks off on that stuff.

Can you say Tino? That was more about publicity because his playing days were over...maybe Roger has some innings left. And that means not burned out for the post season when we'll need him the most.

Besides ramping up the clemens hype machine and you people will have to buy new Cano jerseys as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFranchise
    Oh boy, just when I think the Yanks are starting to do good things...
    The Yankees have been doing good things and signing Clemens would not hurt what the Yankees are doing.

The problem with the Yankees signing older guys or trading for older guys in the past was this: When they signed them, they would give them a multi-year deal, and also have to give up a draft pick. And when the Yankees traded for them, they were giving up youngsters.

With Clemens, none of that would happen. Since the Astros didn't offer him arbitration, we wouldn't give up our 1st round pick.

The best thing about the whole Clemens situation is that because Clemens won't make his decision until early June, the Yankees will have 2 months to see where their pitching staff is. The Yankees might be in a very fortunate position of needing another starting pitcher, and instead of having to trade prospects to get one, they can just sign Clemens - a much better choice. Of course, with the Yankees fantastic crop of pitching prospects, I don't think the Yankees will be in a position where they desperately need a starter, unless we are ravished by injuries.

If Igawa isn't good enough and Pavano breaks a fingernail, then we may very well need 2 startes. Phil Hughes can be one of them and if the Yankees want to keep Humberto Sanchez in AAA - or if he isn't ready for the majors yet, then Clemens would be a nice addition for a year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    The Yankees have been doing good things and signing Clemens would not hurt what the Yankees are doing.

The problem with the Yankees signing older guys or trading for older guys in the past was this: When they signed them, they would give them a multi-year deal, and also have to give up a draft pick. And when the Yankees traded for them, they were giving up youngsters.

With Clemens, none of that would happen. Since the Astros didn't offer him arbitration, we wouldn't give up our 1st round pick.

The best thing about the whole Clemens situation is that because Clemens won't make his decision until early June, the Yankees will have 2 months to see where their pitching staff is. The Yankees might be in a very fortunate position of needing another starting pitcher, and instead of having to trade prospects to get one, they can just sign Clemens - a much better choice. Of course, with the Yankees fantastic crop of pitching prospects, I don't think the Yankees will be in a position where they desperately need a starter, unless we are ravished by injuries.

If Igawa isn't good enough and Pavano breaks a fingernail, then we may very well need 2 startes. Phil Hughes can be one of them and if the Yankees want to keep Humberto Sanchez in AAA - or if he isn't ready for the majors yet, then Clemens would be a nice addition for a year.

I always look foward to JWF Yankees posts I rarley disagree........in other words, what he said

All League
    Clemens did fantastic last couple years. I'll welcome him back instantly. He will tax the bullpen though...

Why don't we let him wear #21. He did in Boston and, Toronto I believe.

We are not going to retire this # for Paul O'Neill. If we do that is just nuts.

All League
    If Clemens came back to the Yankees... Cano wouldn't have a choice. If he didn't voluntarily give up his number, it would've been taken from him.

^ Disagree w/ that