Thread: Ex-U.S. bobsled, skeleton athlete dies in Iraq ambush

Ex-U.S. bobsled, skeleton athlete dies in Iraq ambush

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. -- Capt. Brian S. Freeman, a former member of the Army World Class Athlete Program who competed in bobsled and skeleton with the U.S. national team, was killed last week in Iraq, officials said.

Freeman, 31, was among five Americans killed Saturday after an ambush by gunmen dressed as U.S. troops near Karbala, Iraq, defense officials said.

Members of the U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton teams learned of Freeman's death this week while preparing for the world championships, which begin in St. Moritz, Switzerland on Thursday.

"He was one of the greatest men I have ever known," said World Cup overall bobsled leader and 2006 Olympian Steven Holcomb, who was in the WCAP program with Freeman. "The time I spent with Brian not only made me a better person, but a better athlete. He was a brilliant, honorable humanitarian."

Freeman was 16th in the 2003 U.S. skeleton national championships. He won a bronze medal as a four-man sled brakeman at a 2002 America's Cup race, teaming with two-time Olympian Mike Kohn.

"Brian will always be remembered for his willingness to ride with any driver so that the driver could gain more valuable experience driving the track, even if that meant crashing a few times," U.S. Skeleton National Program Manager Steve Peters said. "As a result, many of those drivers later went on to make future World Cup teams and the 2006 Olympic team."

Freeman was assigned to the 412th Civil Affairs Battalion, based in Whitehall, Ohio, defense officials said.

He was born in Bakersfield, Calif. and later settled in Temecula, Calif., said his father, Randy Freeman. The 1999 West Point graduate was on active reserve.

His awards include two Army Commendation Medals, two Army Achievement Medals, a National Defense Service Medal and a Global War on Terrorism Service Medal. He also earned Combat Action, Air Assault, Parachutist and Marksmanship Qualification badges.

"He had a fantastic sense of humor that made you want to be around him all the time," World Cup skeleton slider Bree Schaaf-Boyer said. "This isn't just the loss of a close friend of the bobsled and skeleton community; it's the loss of an amazing person, father, husband and son."

Freeman is survived by his wife and two children, ages 3 and 1.

It just absolutely amazes me that the war in Iraq is being fought by a bunch of insipid clerks dressed up as US Army and Marine Corps Generals. I seriously doubt there's a high-ranking brazen son-of-a-btich in a US military uniform over there!

This war should have been over at least a year ago.

What the Iraqis did here, we should be doing to them! However, present US military rules-of-engangment preclude the US Army and Marines from actually hunting-and-killing the enemy. Hunting-and-killing [B](ruthlessly)[/B] the enemy is the basic precept of winning a war. They're doing it to us but PC President George Bush won't allow us to do it to them.

Our defensive (only) military posture only invites trouble. That's what's on our TVs everyday.

Rules-of-Engangement Parallel: The NFL tells Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning that he can only pass on first down in the Super Bowl. He cannot pass the football on second, third or even fourth down - only first down - no matter what. This same rule does not apply to Chicago Bears quaterback Rex Grossman. He can throw the ball whenever he wants to.

(Here, the Colts are the US military and the Bears are the Iraqi insurgents, obviously.)

Now, who do you think is going to win the football game (war)?

Why does the United States send its military forces into a war with one hand tied behind its back?

[COLOR=Blue][B]Freeman is survived by his wife and two children, ages 3 and 1.[/B][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]Rules-of-Engangement Parallel: The NFL tells Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning that he can only pass on first down in the Super Bowl. He cannot pass the football on second, third or even fourth down - only first down - no matter what. This same rule does not apply to Chicago Bears quaterback Rex Grossman. He can throw the ball whenever he wants to.

(Here, the Colts are the US military and the Bears are the Iraqi insurgents, obviously.)

Now, who do you think is going to win the football game (war)?[/QUOTE]

My best post ever! Seriously - it combines football with THE reason we're not winning in Iraq.

:thumbup:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet]My best post ever! Seriously - it combines football with THE reason we're not winning in Iraq.

:thumbup:[/QUOTE]

I like a guy with the balls to quote himself. Kudos!

Oh.....and your trippy Iraqi water supply idea? Shizznig! :D

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan].....and your trippy Iraqi water supply idea? Shizznig! :D[/QUOTE]

Why kill our enemies when we can just destroy their brains? :high:

For every Jihadist's brain that we melt via chemicals there's another Jihadist that has to take care of the first Jihadist the rest of their life. 2 for 1! :thwak:

I'm off to find a map of the Iraqi drinking water system right now! I already know how to make the acid!
    Last edited by AlbanyJet; 01-27-2007 at 05:19 PM.