Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. missile defense maturing, latest test a success

Banned

U.S. missile defense maturing, latest test a success

[QUOTE]WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Within a year, the U.S. missile defense system should be able to guard against enemy attacks, while testing new technologies, the deputy director of the U.S. Missile Defense Agency said on Monday.

The United States activated the ground-based system last summer when North Korea launched one long-range and six short-range missiles.

North Korea's intercontinental Taepodong 2 missile fell into the Sea of Japan shortly after launch but the short-range tests appeared successful, said Brig. Gen. Patrick O'Reilly, deputy director of the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency.

O'Reilly said there would be no formal announcement that the system was operational. He predicted the capability to defend against enemy missiles and to continue testing and development work would be achieved within a year.

"It's just a matter of maturation," he told reporters after a speech hosted by the George C. Marshall Institute, a public policy group.

O'Reilly said work by North Korea and Iran on long-range ballistic missiles underscored the need for a viable U.S. missile defense system.

The war between Israel and Lebanon's Hezbollah militants last summer also highlighted the dangers of ballistic missiles and their use by non-state actors, he said. "We know we must be prepared for all contingencies."

O'Reilly said the missile defense system, which includes sea-based and ground-based interceptors, and powerful X-Band radar systems, achieved success in 14 of 15 flight tests.

Through the end of 2007, the program will focus on protecting the United States from threats from the Middle East and North Korea, expanding coverage to U.S. allies and boosting protection against shorter-range threats.

In 2008 and beyond, there would be increased focus on countering unconventional attacks and increasing the U.S. inventory of interceptors and sensors, O'Reilly said.

RUSSIA IS WARY

On Saturday, the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD), built by Lockheed Martin Corp, intercepted a target shot from a barge. It was the first test of THAAD since its move to the Pacific Missile Range Facility in Hawaii.

Two more THAAD intercept tests are planned for 2007, along with three tests of the Aegis Standard Missile-3 interceptors against short- and medium-range targets, O'Reilly said.

The agency also plans two tests of long-range ground-based interceptors in late spring and early fall.

The United States has 14 interceptors in Alaska and two in California, primarily to counter North Korea. O'Reilly said the number in Alaska would grow to 21 within eight months.

By 2011, plans call for some 40 interceptors in Alaska and four at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, he said.

He said negotiations were just beginning with Poland to host up to 10 ground-based interceptors and with the Czech Republic about fielding an advanced radar station.

Asked about the concerns of Russian officials, O'Reilly said the United States was talking with Moscow and hoped to convince it that placing U.S. missile defenses in eastern Europe could also enhance Russia's security as well.

He gave no timeline for completing negotiations with Poland and the Czechs, but said the United States was "always looking at all our options" if either country chose not to proceed.

"We'll have to see how it unfolds," O'Reilly said.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2007-01-30T011422Z_01_N29243154_RTRUKOC_0_US-MISSILE-USA.xml&src=rss&rpc=22[/url]

Banned
    [QUOTE]Airborne Laser to test-fire in flight

Staff report
    Posted : Monday Jan 29, 2007 11:07:44 EST

The YAL-1A, a modified Boeing 747-400F known as the Airborne Laser, will test-fire its low-power laser in flight for the first time as part of a long-term test phase at the Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., according to an Air Force report.
    The Airborne Laser, part of the Missile Defense Agency’s Ballistic Missile Defense System, is designed to identify, track and shoot down enemy ballistic missiles shortly after they launch.
    In the current test phase, which is happening throughout the next several months, the ABL will fire its two solid-state illuminator lasers at the NC-135E “Big Crow” test aircraft to verify the ABL’s ability to track an airborne target and measure atmospheric turbulence.
    Current tests follow modifications made at Boeing’s Wichita, Kan., facilities in 2006. The modifications on the aircraft include the installation of the beam control and fire control solid-state illuminators, as well as the addition of floor reinforcements and chemical-fuel tanks. These modifications were necessary for the integration, to be made later this year, of the Chemical Oxygen Iodine Laser — a missile-killing, high-energy chemical laser.
    The COIL is composed of six interconnected modules, each as large as a sport utility vehicle turned on end. Each module weighs about 6,500 pounds and has 3,600 separate parts. When fired through a window in the aircraft’s nose turret, it produces enough energy in a 5-second burst to power a typical household for more than an hour.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/01/AFairbornelaser070129/[/url]

With Little Kim's misslies falling into the Sea of Japan, I wonder which military power we would use this on?

I don't think that Chavez has anything like this. China may have but how many? I like the idea but the practical use escapes me.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg]With Little Kim's misslies falling into the Sea of Japan, I wonder which military power we would use this on?

I don't think that Chavez has anything like this. China may have but how many? I like the idea but the practical use escapes me.[/QUOTE]
    UUGGGHH.. :rolleyes:

You do know that North Korea can hit California with a ballistic missile right now..don't you? :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Oh crap, there goes the doomsday clock.

[QUOTE=bill parcells]UUGGGHH.. :rolleyes:

You do know that North Korea can hit California with a ballistic missile right now..don't you? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I saw somethng on that but I don't trust the intel. This administration has no crediblity

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]You do know that North Korea can hit California with a ballistic missile right now...[/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO! That's about as scary as those Iraqi tanks were during the first Gulf War. Remember that night vision footage of their tanks getting blown up a mile a way? They didn't even know what was shooting at them.

Seriously, we could take down one of Little Kims Type-O-Dongs with one of these...

[IMG]http://www.nightswimming.com/pics/trebuchet.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan]ROTFLMAO! That's about as scary as those Iraqi tanks were during the first Gulf War. Remember that night vision footage of their tanks getting blown up a mile a way? They didn't even know what was shooting at them.

Seriously, we could take down one of Little Kims Type-O-Dongs with one of these...

[IMG]http://www.nightswimming.com/pics/trebuchet.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

:yes: :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    yeah and the Patriot Missles had a 98% success rate in Desert Storm...

do you really believe whatever BS propoganda the gov't/military wants to spoon feed you?

Banned
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]ROTFLMAO! That's about as scary as those Iraqi tanks were during the first Gulf War. Remember that night vision footage of their tanks getting blown up a mile a way? They didn't even know what was shooting at them.

[IMG]http://www.nightswimming.com/pics/trebuchet.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
    :rotfl:
    [IMG]http://members.shaw.ca/statistic/pictures/Donkey-4.jpg[/IMG]

Why of course..Plumber and Jetdawgg know exactly what poor innocent North Korea has up their sleeves :rotfl: I am so happy you guys aren't running the country! :yes:

Banned
    [QUOTE=Tanginius]yeah and the Patriot Missles had a 98% success rate in Desert Storm...

do you really believe whatever BS propoganda the gov't/military wants to spoon feed you?[/QUOTE]
    who are you talking to??

nobody is listening ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]Why of course..Plumber and Jetdawgg know exactly what poor innocent North Korea has up their sleeves :rotfl: I am so happy you guys aren't running the country! :yes:[/QUOTE]

I never said N. Korea was innocent, there Capt. Einstein. I'm just not gonna live in fear of a missile that can barely make off the pad from a country whose idea of nuclear test doesn't equal the firepower of the Macy's July 4th Fireworks.

Banned
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]I never said N. Korea was innocent, there Capt. Einstein. I'm just not gonna live in fear of a missile that can barely make off the pad from a country whose idea of nuclear test doesn't equal the firepower of the Macy's July 4th Fireworks.[/QUOTE]
    You know what you were insinuating,**** for brains..and all of you liberals always laugh and have a blast until innocent Americans get killed..and then you all start pointing the finger

[QUOTE=bill parcells]You know what you were insinuating,**** for brains..and all of you liberals always laugh and have a blast until innocent Americans get killed..and then you all start pointing the finger[/QUOTE]

We are just overjoyed with the way that this admin is managing Katrina

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]I never said N. Korea was innocent, there Capt. Einstein. I'm just not gonna live in fear of a missile that can barely make off the pad from a country whose idea of nuclear test doesn't equal the firepower of the Macy's July 4th Fireworks.[/QUOTE]

Uh, theres plenty of our allies' cities
    that are lots closer than that.

Thousands of our soldiers, millions of
    other people,
    not to mention crucial world markets and industry.

Check it:

[url="http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distances.html?n=235"]http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distances.html?n=235[/url]

800 tons of TNT. Thats some fireworks, there...
    your last name Grucci?

[QUOTE=flushingjet]Uh, theres plenty of our allies' cities
    that are lots closer than that.

Thousands of our soldiers, millions of
    other people,
    not to mention crucial world markets and industry.

Check it:

[url="http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distances.html?n=235"]http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distances.html?n=235[/url]

800 tons of TNT. Thats some fireworks, there...
    your last name Grucci?[/QUOTE]

Global Military spending 2001:

[url]http://www.cdi.org/issues/wme/spendersFY03.html[/url]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]You know what you were insinuating,**** for brains..and all of you liberals always laugh and have a blast until innocent Americans get killed..and then you all start pointing the finger[/QUOTE]

Meanwhile conservatives are still blaming 9/11 on Clinton...

[QUOTE=bill parcells]UUGGGHH.. :rolleyes:

You do know that North Korea can hit California with a ballistic missile right now..don't you? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

If their missiles could make it here, I would bet we would shoot it down before it got halfway here. It's important that they slow down all these countries who want nuclear capabilities but pretty unrealistic to believe that they will never be capable of delivering a missile. The shield is the answer for now and constant upgrading and innovation to stay ahead of any delivery system anyone can deploy.

Banned
    [QUOTE=parafly]Meanwhile conservatives are still blaming 9/11 on Clinton...[/QUOTE]
    The 9/11 commission was all made up of conservatives?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bill parcells]The 9/11 commission was all made up of conservatives?[/QUOTE]

Of course not. The 9/11 commission blamed 9/11 on Clinton? This is news to me...