Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Real Obama?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]Let me say one thing, this man could be a confirmed suicide bomber, his name could be Iraq Osama and he'd be a better President than what we've got now. [/QUOTE]

I feel so secure with liberals running America.

I suppose this was taken out of context too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Spirit of Weeb]I feel so secure with liberals running America.

I suppose this was taken out of context too.[/QUOTE]

dude im serious

iraq osama would be a better Prez than Bush.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs]Why would you want to have people paid high wages and big benefits to make socks and jeans when we have almost zero unemployment? Any person walking into this country who has any initiative can get a job and advance themselves right now. How does China making things for us cheaply that we don't have the manpower for adversely affect us? Cheap goods are keeping inflation down and helping us. We can use our labor for more productive things while still benefiting from the low cost of goods and services that we can't even provide if they weren't doing it.

I don't disagree that running large deficits during the later part of an economic expansion is a good thing, it clearly isn't but when you have full employment to b*tch about cheap goods coming in that benefits all of us doesn't really make sense. What we really need to do is keep improving productivity so the expansion of our economy doesn't stop.[/QUOTE]

I have absolutely no problem with anything you've written, Winston: except the deficits side of it. The American economy is robust enough to handle very large deficits indeed, but the whole cycle (Chinese goods being sold cheaply in the US etc) runs on the US consumer and US government running up debt. Sooner or later that will have to be paid back, and when that happens that is when the whole thing will come to a crunching halt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Black Death]I have absolutely no problem with anything you've written, Winston: except the deficits side of it. The American economy is robust enough to handle very large deficits indeed, but the whole cycle (Chinese goods being sold cheaply in the US etc) runs on the US consumer and US government running up debt. Sooner or later that will have to be paid back, and when that happens that is when the whole thing will come to a crunching halt.[/QUOTE]

To me the real boggy man is not China but OPEC. We are not just sending huge amounts of money to our enemies, we are spending a fortune defending their supply. The savings that could be rung out in a serious attempt to save energy is enormous.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs]To me the real boggy man is not China but OPEC. We are not just sending huge amounts of money to our enemies, we are spending a fortune defending their supply. The savings that could be rung out in a serious attempt to save energy is enormous.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really painting anyone as a bogeyman here: more just saying this is how things are. I agree entirely when we move away from the Sheik's cartel toward a less oil-dependent world, the world will be a better place. Until then I expect them to be keeping oil above US $50 a barrel to lock their profits in place.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    [QUOTE=bitonti]most political scientists will agree the effect a President has on the economy in the NEAR TERM is slim to none. You should be thanking Greenspan and Bernake.[/QUOTE]

So I guess based on this brilliant theory you can thank Bush Sr. for all the "supposed" econmic boom we had while Slick Willie was Pres. (can't wait to hear this anwer).

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER]So I guess based on this brilliant theory you can thank Bush Sr. for all the "supposed" econmic boom we had while Slick Willie was Pres. (can't wait to hear this anwer).[/QUOTE]

never mind the fact that six years later those who suffer from Bush Derangement Syndrome are still throwing around term "near term".... :rolleyes:

the only thing more hysterical is his claim we should thank Ben Bernake who is celebrating one year on the job today...but its' not about the "near term"....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 02-01-2007 at 11:47 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The economy is only doing well on the surface. Lurking in the shadows is a huge deficit that will need to be fixed in the coming years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly]The economy is only doing well on the surface.[/QUOTE]
    (or, "the economy is doing well, but I won't admit it")

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance](or, "the economy is doing well, but I won't admit it")[/QUOTE]

You must be the type of person that has tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt, but you feel like your doing just fine because you can make the minimum monthly payments.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance](or, "the economy is doing well, but I won't admit it")[/QUOTE]

that's about it...."well the team played great BUT".....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly]You must be the type of person that has tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt, but you feel like your doing just fine because you can make the minimum monthly payments.[/QUOTE]
    No. I'm the kind of person who maxxed out my cards years ago, got horrid credit over relatively small debts ($2-3,000), slowly built back credit unwittingly with a cash only lifestyle that encouraged me to save, got into internet advertising businesses both as sole proprietor and with partners, and don't know what the hell to do with the money I make each month. I've been poor and I've been rich, parafly, and while neither is necessarily better than the other, I'd rather be me than you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]No. I'm the kind of person who maxxed out my cards years ago, got horrid credit over relatively small debts ($2-3,000), slowly built back credit unwittingly with a cash only lifestyle that encouraged me to save, got into internet advertising businesses both as sole proprietor and with partners, and don't know what the hell to do with the money I make each month. I've been poor and I've been rich, parafly, and while neither is necessarily better than the other, I'd rather be me than you.[/QUOTE]

The analogy clearly went right over your head.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly]The analogy clearly went right over your head.[/QUOTE]
    Me want read easy. Thanks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs]To me the real boggy man is not China but OPEC. We are not just sending huge amounts of money to our enemies, we are spending a fortune defending their supply. The savings that could be rung out in a serious attempt to save energy is enormous.[/QUOTE]

That sounds to me like you diagree with the current policy of sabre rattling in the MENA.

Even our military uses MENA oil to fuel itself.