Thread: Report: Troops are incresingly frustrated over antiwar criticism, take it personally

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Report: Troops are incresingly frustrated over antiwar criticism, take it personally

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyqk1LsCDBQ[/url]

I'm glad NBC News ran this story. Contrary what some people will have you believe (cough, Jetdawgg, cough) not ALL troops are ready to go AWOL and/or spit in the President's face.

These guys are doing an EXTREMELY tough thing over there. If I was over there risking my life, I don't know how I would feel that there are so many people back at home who aren't giving their full support to my sacrifice. It's gotta be disheartening.

This reminds me of a woman at the peace rally last weekend that I read about. She said that her son is in Iraq, so marching in the protest is the best thing she can do to help him right now. How exactly is that helping him? If anything, she's not giving him the support he needs to trust his mission and trust his commanding officers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyqk1LsCDBQ[/url]

I'm glad NBC News ran this story. Contrary what some people will have you believe (cough, Jetdawgg, cough) not ALL troops are ready to go AWOL and/or spit in the President's face.

These guys are doing an EXTREMELY tough thing over there. If I was over there risking my life, I don't know how I would feel that there are so many people back at home who aren't giving their full support to my sacrifice. It's gotta be disheartening.

This reminds me of a woman at the peace rally last weekend that I read about. She said that her son is in Iraq, so marching in the protest is the best thing she can do to help him right now. How exactly is that helping him? If anything, she's not giving him the support he needs to trust his mission and trust his commanding officers.[/QUOTE]

Having gone through this crap back in the 60's, I can tell you that no one that I knew was ever "frustrated" by the ignorant bastards...we would get pissed and just say fuk 'em.

Never heard of anyone ever going AWOL over what a protester did or said. We had too much to worry about...never mind some misguided fool(s) looking to get some media attention...and that's what it was all about back then and that's what it's all about now...Fonda is a fine example of a media whore trying to get free publicity.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok... so what's the alternative?

pretend everything is going great for however long it takes for a Jeffersonian democracy to flourish in Iraq?

for the sake of the troops?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would people protest Vietnam? That was a slam dunk and error free win for the U.S.

[QUOTE=NIGHT STALKER]Having gone through this crap back in the 60's, I can tell you that no one that I knew was ever "frustrated" by the ignorant bastards...we would get pissed and just say fuk 'em.

Never heard of anyone ever going AWOL over what a protester did or said. We had too much to worry about...never mind some misguided fool(s) looking to get some media attention...and that's what it was all about back then and that's what it's all about now...Fonda is a fine example of a media whore trying to get free publicity.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should be frustrated by their inept commander in cheif..not by the opinion of people who want them home alive..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman]They should be frustrated by their inept commander in cheif..not by the opinion of people who want them home alive..[/QUOTE]

Military polls show that the majority are frustrated with Bush and this war. Disagreeing with the war strategy has nothing to do with not supporting our troops.

If people really want to get serious about supporting our troops, we could start with arming and protecting them to do the job safely and adequately. While Bush is busy cutting taxes and stating that shopping is the best way to support the troops, our military is in desperate need of more armor.

[URL=http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N30376801.htm]Link[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]ok... so what's the alternative?

pretend everything is going great for however long it takes for a Jeffersonian democracy to flourish in Iraq?

for the sake of the troops?[/QUOTE]

No, silly. Just pretend until '08...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]Why would people protest Vietnam? That was a slam dunk and error free win for the U.S.[/QUOTE]

The end result (talking about in 1975) is not what most Nam vets would have wanted, but I can say we never lost a battle of any major concern in the field. Our problem back then was that we didn't occupy ground that we fought hard for...taking the same hill two and three times in the same week is not the way to win a war. But, I was just a soldier obeying orders...I didn't make policy.

Then again, how is Vietnam doing now as a country? I like to think we had something to do with the way the country is flourishing now...it is more demoractic than a typical communist run country. American Express recommends that country in their travel guide. Of course you libs will probably say that has nothing to do with USA influence at all... :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hold on, I am just getting off the phone with my uncle. I had to call him and tell him the shrapnel still falling out of his body and his plastic eardrums were all well worth it.
    Vietnam made the American Express travel guide.
    Victory baby.

[QUOTE=NIGHT STALKER]The end result (talking about in 1975) is not what most Nam vets would have wanted, but I can say we never lost a battle of any major concern in the field. Our problem back then was that we didn't occupy ground that we fought hard for...taking the same hill two and three times in the same week is not the way to win a war. But, I was just a soldier obeying orders...I didn't make policy.

Then again, how is Vietnam doing now as a country? I like to think we had something to do with the way the country is flourishing now...it is more demoractic than a typical communist run country. American Express recommends that country in their travel guide. Of course you libs will probably say that has nothing to do with USA influence at all... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NIGHT STALKER]
    Then again, how is Vietnam doing now as a country? I like to think we had something to do with the way the country is flourishing now...it is more demoractic than a typical communist run country. American Express recommends that country in their travel guide. Of course you libs will probably say that has nothing to do with USA influence at all... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I would hazard to say that the fall of the Soviet Union probably had a lot more to do with Vietnam becoming one of the 'cute and cuddley' Communist regimes, rather than anything else.

As far as being ' More Democratic'... I'm curious how exactly that works in a one party state.... but hey... that's just me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]Hold on, I am just getting off the phone with my uncle. I had to call him and tell him the shrapnel still falling out of his body and his plastic eardrums were all well worth it.
    Victory baby.[/QUOTE]

You missed the point, but that's typical. And I don't appreciate you making reference to shrapnel falling out of one's body.

[B]91% of Vietnam Veterans say they are glad they served [/B] . Tell your uncle to give me a call. You can PM me and I'll give you my number or you can give me his. Jets will probably win a SB before I hear from you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyqk1LsCDBQ[/url]

This reminds me of a woman at the peace rally last weekend that I read about. She said that her son is in Iraq, so marching in the protest is the best thing she can do to help him right now. How exactly is that helping him? If anything, she's not giving him the support he needs to trust his mission and trust his commanding officers.[/QUOTE]

One of the things these guys are defending is our representive government and the right of citizens to participate, protest and speak. The fact is withoug the protests Bush would have not fired Rumsfeld and not tried another stradegy. Cheney is still saying the current policy in Iraq is working when the new commander in Iraq has called it a failure. If the public wasn't screaming and Congress wasn't screaming nothing would have changed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NIGHT STALKER]Jets will probably win a SB before I hear from you.[/QUOTE]

And they will probably win 3 before American Express recommends Iraq as a tourist destination...

[url]http://www.viviun.com/Real_Estate/Vacation/Iraq/[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs]One of the things these guys are defending is our representive government and the right of citizens to participate, protest and speak. The fact is withoug the protests Bush would have not fired Rumsfeld and not tried another stradegy. Cheney is still saying the current policy in Iraq is working when the new commander in Iraq has called it a failure. If the public wasn't screaming and Congress wasn't screaming nothing would have changed.[/QUOTE]

I would like to believe that the November elections sent a message to the President about how we feel about the war and this country's foreign policy. They canned Rumsfeld because they had no other choice. However, the "new" war strategy is pretty much "stay the course" with an additional 20K troops.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726]Hold on, I am just getting off the phone with my uncle. I had to call him and tell him the shrapnel still falling out of his body and his plastic eardrums were all well worth it.
    Victory baby.[/QUOTE]
    Wow. Such gratitude. You really are special.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The protestors are not against the troops, they are against the mismanaged war in Iraq.

They are against the ineptitude of this administration. They are against the lies that got the troops there in the first place. It is the reich wing that is pushing for more to die over there.

The "liberals' want the troops home. They want the troops properly trained.
    They want the troops wearing the proper protection and have the vehicles protected.

That is what we are prostesting against. People who send young men and women ,whom I see often here in the southeast, into war when they would not serve themselves.

Why are the Bush Twins not fighting in Iraq? They are of age. What about Pino-Cheney's daughter? The stench of this war will be with us for a long while.

I wish Bush and Cheney would resign. America would be better off. We need a fresh start right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your personal pride and the pride of all soldiers was and will never be questioned. You are getting confused by your politics. My uncle has enough Vietnam buddies. I served my country too, just wasn't enlisted at a time of war.

I am not making light of shrapnel falling out of my uncle's body, nor that he can't fly because of his eardrums or the guy who stepped on the landmine next to him, that made him this way.

[QUOTE=NIGHT STALKER]You missed the point, but that's typical. And I don't appreciate you making reference to shrapnel falling out of one's body.

[B]91% of Vietnam Veterans say they are glad they served [/B] . Tell your uncle to give me a call. You can PM me and I'll give you my number or you can give me his. Jets will probably win a SB before I hear from you.[/QUOTE]