Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we on the path to war with Iran?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Are we on the path to war with Iran?

In the past couple of months, the US has made a few military decisions that may suggest preparation for war with Iran. The administration has deployed a second naval battleship to the Persian Gulf, appointed a naval admiral as US Central Command in the Middle East, authorized a shoot-to-kill policy against Iranians in Iraq, and increased the number of troops in the Middle East with the surge in Iraq.

Is war with Iran inevitable? Does Bush have the ability to act without Congress? Are Israel and the nuclear situation major factors in the big picture?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    what has Iran done to justify a war?Lots of words..yes. But the US is not the god of the world. Iran has not attacked another nation. I do not (under any circumstance) want Iran to have Nukes..But the fact that they are keen on developing nuclear technology does not justify a US strike. The people of Iran are NOT the enemy of the citizens of the US.
    Last edited by bman; 01-31-2007 at 10:26 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman]what has Iran done to justify a war?Lots of words..yes. But the US is not the god of the world. Iran has not attacked another nation. I do not (under any circumstance) want Iran to have Nukes..But the fact that they are keen on developing nuclear technology does not justify a US strike. The people of Iran are NOT the enemy of the citizens of the US.[/QUOTE]
    Yet the people of the US are the enemy of the government of Iran.

Do we do anything about that or just stick our head in the sand?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    what do you suppose we do?

Let me ask you a question..If (god forbid) Iran gets nukes..A) they can't hit the USA..B) does that mean they will send them? I don't think so..
    Iran wants to be a player..Right now, the US cannot take on Iran..We are losing Iraq, The Taliban is coming back strong in Afghanistan, we never got OBL..If we attack Iran, the Bush admin. will have further diminished the USA and we will have dug our own grave and you can say goodbye to the America you once knew.

TMahoney
    [QUOTE=bman]what do you suppose we do?

Let me ask you a question..If (god forbid) Iran gets nukes..A) they can't hit the USA..B) does that mean they will send them? I don't think so..
    Iran wants to be a player..Right now, the US cannot take on Iran..We are losing Iraq, The Taliban is coming back strong in Afghanistan, we never got OBL..If we attack Iran, the Bush admin. will have further diminished the USA and we will have dug our own grave and you can say goodbye to the America you once knew.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with you that both Iran is a major problem for us AND cannot be dealt with in the same way as Iraq, I think saying we [I]can't [/I] take them is ludicrous.

If we were to fight a war the way a war is supposed to be fought, than we could certainly eradicate Iran. But obviously, for a war like, there has to be just reason. Something we don't have at the moment. Its similar to the mafia and the FBI; the FBI knows they're dirty, its just a matter of getting proof.

And when we spectacularly failed to provide proof the last time around, we've set oursleves up as "the boy who cried" wolf." For us to do something about Iran, we would need a smoking gun.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman]Right now, the US cannot take on Iran..[/QUOTE]
    I'd amend that to: [I]Right now, the US cannot invade and babysit Iran[/I]. If it's a matter of manpower and munitions we could do their respective village tomorrow. And I wish we would, because talk accomplishes nothing in the 21st Century Middle East. Just a nice series of infrastructure demolishing sorties to let them know we don't love them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Israel will hopefully take care of it by bombing the cr*p out of Iran's nuke sites. Then, the UN and the US and the Europeans and China and Russia can all condemn Israel's actions publicly, while privately everyone will be relieved that someone finally did something about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    gotta love the tone of this thread as it is so typcial of the thinking of liberals...

is America on the path to war with Iran because America has done 1)... 2)..... 3).... 4).... 5)...., etc

as though Iran is the innocent child in this affair... :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]gotta love the tone of this thread as it is so typcial of the thinking of liberals...

is America on the path to war with Iran because America has done 1)... 2)..... 3).... 4).... 5)...., etc

as though Iran is the innocent child in this affair... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

No one has suggested that Iran is innocent in this situation. Given our administration's actions for the last several years and these new manuvers, it is a fair question to ask.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]Yet the people of the US are the enemy of the government of Iran.

Do we do anything about that or just stick our head in the sand?[/QUOTE]

never mind the fact his post shows a complete ignorance to history...

let's start with the fact Iran is now fighting American's in Iraq both overtly and covertly then goes as far back as their involvement in the bombing of the Khobar Towers, which they were never taken to task for....

the present lunatic leaders in Iran are on eggshells and close to caving...the threat of bombing Tehran to smithereens has got most of the semi-level headed religous leaders in the country realizing they may meet Allah before they want to if the islamofacists in charge continue on their path....never mind the daily student rally's and protest's for freedom in Iran the liberal media in this country never shows...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 02-01-2007 at 09:27 AM.

flushingjet
    [QUOTE=bman]what has Iran done to justify a war?Lots of words..yes. But the US is not the god of the world. Iran has not attacked another nation. I do not (under any circumstance) want Iran to have Nukes..But the fact that they are keen on developing nuclear technology does not justify a US strike. The people of Iran are NOT the enemy of the citizens of the US.[/QUOTE]

guess you missed the part about their munitions IEDs etc in Iraq,
    killing our soldiers, DUMBmarine.

the people of WWII era Germany were probably good people at heart
    who really only wanted a good life with lots of brau, schnitzel, liederhosen
    and lebensraum.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read in a local newspaper here a few weeks back, that 65% of the Iranian people disapprove of the way their Government is heading it seems to me their Govt. could careless about the people. Some things never change!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan]I read in a local newspaper here a few weeks back, that 65% of the Iranian people disapprove of the way their Government is heading it seems to me their Govt. could careless about the people. Some things never change![/QUOTE]

I read in a local newspaper here a few weeks back, that 65% of the [B]AMERICAN[/B] people disapprove of the way their Government is heading it seems to me their Govt. could careless about the people. Some things never change!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan]I read in a local newspaper here a few weeks back, that 65% of the [B]AMERICAN[/B] people disapprove of the way their Government is heading it seems to me their Govt. could careless about the people. Some things never change![/QUOTE]

Wonderful! Two self-righteous leaders preparing for war with one another without the support of the people they represent.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman]what has Iran done to justify a war?[/QUOTE]

How about Iran being the godfather of international terrorism?

240 plus Marines killed in Lebanon with Iran's fingerprints all over it.

Iran arming, training and supporting Hamas and Hezbolla along with the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, killing jews.

Bombing a jewish center in Argentina.

Numerous airliner hijackings and bombings, resulting in the killing of passengers.

Col Higgins and William Buckley both kidnapped and executed with Iranian involvement.

US Embassy hostages taken during Jimmy (liberal sissy boy) Carter's administration

The Beirut hostages taken and held for years.

etc. etc. etc.

These are just a few off the top of my head. There are hundreds of more incidents all involving Iran and terrorism.

So yeah, you're right... What has Iran done to justify a war.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bman]what do you suppose we do?

Iran wants to be a player..Right now, the US cannot take on Iran..We are losing Iraq, The Taliban is coming back strong in Afghanistan, we never got OBL..If we attack Iran, the Bush admin. will have further diminished the USA and we will have dug our own grave and you can say goodbye to the America you once knew.[/QUOTE]

The US is losing Iraq only in terms of the country going into civil war. The Iraq army and government currently posses no threat. The idea that we couldn't take out Iran's military structure because we are bogged down in Iraq is not a factor.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    we can't even maintain Iraq, invading Iran would make a bad situation worse... plus their military is not a push over, on their turf, with our military overextended, it could be a total blood bath.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]we can't even maintain Iraq, invading Iran would make a bad situation worse... plus their military is not a push over, on their turf, with our military overextended, it could be a total blood bath.[/QUOTE]

I believe that if we do in fact get into a war with Iran, the military strategy and objectives will be completely different from what we did in Iraq. In Iraq, we were dealing with a dictator and tyranny, while Iran already has an established democracy. An Iranian war would be nothing like "Shock and Awe," but instead precision stikes against military sites and compounds. In terms of retaliation, our highest protective priorities would be Israel, our troops in Iraq, and possible terrorist attacks within our country.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]we can't even maintain Iraq, invading Iran would make a bad situation worse... plus their military is not a push over, on their turf, with our military overextended, it could be a total blood bath.[/QUOTE]

You're right we can't maintain. How long did it take for us to take out the Iraq army? Which one of the war lords currently in Iraq is a danger to develop nuclear weapons? The only blood bath in a short war in Iran would be the calataral damage near the targets that we would be taking out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]Israel will hopefully take care of it by bombing the cr*p out of Iran's nuke sites. Then, the UN and the US and the Europeans and China and Russia can all condemn Israel's actions publicly, while privately everyone will be relieved that someone finally did something about it.[/QUOTE]

If Israel presents hard facts, not speculation, that Iran was planning to attack them with nuclear weapons (which most experts say Iran is a good 10 years away from being capable of producing) then by all means thay should attack Iran, and i wont say anything against them. But, present the evidence first...and make sure its not BS, like the evidence we had that Saddam was an imminent threat to us.