Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Report - Global Warming is 'Very Likely' Caused By Human Actions

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly]I'm not comparing myself to this guy. I'm comparing him to the 99% of scientists that disagree with him.[/QUOTE]

No, you ridiculed what he said.

Again I posted his credentials, let's see yours....
    Last edited by DeanPatsFan; 02-02-2007 at 12:23 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan]Here's his credentials.

Let's see yours.[/QUOTE]

Nah, mate: you're the one going against the tide here. Let's see your credentials.

That scientist really should know better: Townsville isn't that far from the Great Barrier Reef, a marine wonder that has lost a great deal of its coral, some of it due to global warming.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan]No, you ridiculed what he said.

Again I posted his credentials, let's see yours....[/QUOTE]

((((((((( Crickets )))))))))))

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you've got one (obviously non-communist) scientist, as against the report today compiled by 113 of them?

Townsville is known for being a trifle backward over this way; hillbilly hell is the way most would describe it. Methinks that bloke has been absorbing too much local wisdom, apart from anything else....

Since you were asking everyone for their credentials, where were yours again?

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Black Death]So you've got one (obviously non-communist) scientist, as against the report today compiled by 113 of them?

Townsville is known for being a trifle backward over this way; hillbilly hell is the way most would describe it. Methinks that bloke has been absorbing too much local wisdom, apart from anything else....

Since you were asking everyone for their credentials, where were yours again?[/QUOTE]

I'm not ridiculing anyone but Al Snore, and I'm positive I know as much about global warming as he does.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan]No, the criminal liberal media OVERWHELMING shows the scientists who agree with Al Snore.

The ones who say it's cyclical never seem to show up in the media.[/QUOTE]

Yes and the conservatives have NEVER used the media for their own purposes.

Is climate change completely man-made? NO>.....

Does man and the effects of our current unrestricted, neo-liberal capitalist mindset had an effect? YES...

This is not hard stuff guys...The evidence seems to be out there...however, again I suggest reading Noam Chomsky if you don't think the media is used by big business to change cultural beliefs so they are in tune with what they desire.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve]
    This is not hard stuff guys...The evidence seems to be out there...however, again I suggest reading Noam Chomsky if you don't think the media is used by big business to change cultural beliefs so they are in tune with what they desire.[/QUOTE]

only American hating Communists read Chomsky

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan]((((((((( Crickets )))))))))))[/QUOTE]

What do my personal credentials have to do with anything? You are the one arguing against the concensus. You should provide your credentials if you want to be taken seriously.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]only American hating Communists read Chomsky[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got that impression in class when we discussed the controversies of this book back in the States, and the fact he couldn't get it published for years because nobody wanted to touch it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve]...I suggest reading Noam Chomsky...[/QUOTE]

[B]Dammit Steve! Look what you have done to dear old CBTNY![/B]

[IMG]http://www.helnwein-music.com/stc/ghpicts/gh336.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it seems like only yesterday I was being ridiculed for worrying about global warming

people here called it junk science

ill take that engraved apology anytime fellas

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]it seems like only yesterday I was being ridiculed for worrying about global warming

ill take that engraved apology anytime fellas[/QUOTE]

So, you rooted for Global Warming, and it turend out to be true. Good for you, here is your cookie, *cookie*.

And you rooted against victory in Iraq and it too is turning out to be true. Good for you, here is your cookie, *cookie*.

Feel better now Bit? Feel appreciated that the two big issues you rooted to be true, Global Warming and a big Iraq loss, have both now come to pass?

You're such a smart boy. Good smart boy. Here, you deserve another cookie, *cookie*.

:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan][B]Dammit Steve! Look what you have done to dear old CBTNY![/B]

[IMG]http://www.helnwein-music.com/stc/ghpicts/gh336.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I made him listen to the Scorpions "Blackout" album? :cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]
    You're such a smart boy. Good smart boy. Here, you deserve another cookie, *cookie*.
    [/QUOTE]

i don't root for bad news, i am a die hard realist

you all should think about my track record the next time you want to disagree

[IMG]http://www.playfuls.com/bizworld/gimages/GlobalWarming02022.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]i don't root for bad news, i am a die hard realist

[IMG]http://www.playfuls.com/bizworld/gimages/GlobalWarming02022.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you are a realist or a cynic....and that's not a shot...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve]I made him listen to the Scorpions "Blackout" album? :cool:[/QUOTE]

Maybe...but mention Chomsky and he's liable to put his eyes out with a couple of forks....

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]it seems like only yesterday I was being ridiculed for worrying about global warming

[url]http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=156df7e6-d490-41c9-8b1f-106fef8763c6&k=0[/url]

[quote]The real deal?
    Against the grain: Some scientists deny global warming exists
    Lawrence Solomon, National Post
    Published: Friday, February 02, 2007

Astrophysicist Nir Shariv, one of Israel's top young scientists, describes the logic that led him -- and most everyone else -- to conclude that SUVs, coal plants and other things man-made cause global warming.

Step One Scientists for decades have postulated that increases in carbon dioxide and other gases could lead to a greenhouse effect.

Step Two As if on cue, the temperature rose over the course of the 20th century while greenhouse gases proliferated due to human activities.

Step Three No other mechanism explains the warming. Without another candidate, greenhouses gases necessarily became the cause.

The series

Statistics needed -- The Deniers Part I
    Warming is real -- and has benefits -- The Deniers Part II
    The hurricane expert who stood up to UN junk science -- The Deniers Part III
    Polar scientists on thin ice -- The Deniers Part IV
    The original denier: into the cold -- The Deniers Part V
    The sun moves climate change -- The Deniers Part VI
    Will the sun cool us? -- The Deniers Part VII
    The limits of predictability -- The Deniers Part VIII
    Look to Mars for the truth on global warming -- The Deniers Part IX
    Limited role for C02 -- the Deniers Part X

Dr. Shariv, a prolific researcher who has made a name for himself assessing the movements of two-billion-year-old meteorites, no longer accepts this logic, or subscribes to these views. He has recanted: "Like many others, I was personally sure that CO2 is the bad culprit in the story of global warming. But after carefully digging into the evidence, I realized that things are far more complicated than the story sold to us by many climate scientists or the stories regurgitated by the media.

"In fact, there is much more than meets the eye."

Dr. Shariv's digging led him to the surprising discovery that there is no concrete evidence -- only speculation -- that man-made greenhouse gases cause global warming. Even research from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change-- the United Nations agency that heads the worldwide effort to combat global warming -- is bereft of anything here inspiring confidence. In fact, according to the IPCC's own findings, man's role is so uncertain that there is a strong possibility that we have been cooling, not warming, the Earth. Unfortunately, our tools are too crude to reveal what man's effect has been in the past, let alone predict how much warming or cooling we might cause in the future.

All we have on which to pin the blame on greenhouse gases, says Dr. Shaviv, is "incriminating circumstantial evidence," which explains why climate scientists speak in terms of finding "evidence of fingerprints." Circumstantial evidence might be a fine basis on which to justify reducing greenhouse gases, he adds, "without other 'suspects.' " However, Dr. Shaviv not only believes there are credible "other suspects," he believes that at least one provides a superior explanation for the 20th century's warming.

"Solar activity can explain a large part of the 20th-century global warming," he states, particularly because of the evidence that has been accumulating over the past decade of the strong relationship that cosmic- ray flux has on our atmosphere. So much evidence has by now been amassed, in fact, that "it is unlikely that [the solar climate link] does not exist."

The sun's strong role indicates that greenhouse gases can't have much of an influence on the climate -- that C02 et al. don't dominate through some kind of leveraging effect that makes them especially potent drivers of climate change. The upshot of the Earth not being unduly sensitive to greenhouse gases is that neither increases nor cutbacks in future C02 emissions will matter much in terms of the climate.

Even doubling the amount of CO2 by 2100, for example, "will not dramatically increase the global temperature," Dr. Shaviv states. Put another way: "Even if we halved the CO2 output, and the CO2 increase by 2100 would be, say, a 50% increase relative to today instead of a doubled amount, the expected reduction in the rise of global temperature would be less than 0.5C. This is not significant."

The evidence from astrophysicists and cosmologists in laboratories around the world, on the other hand, could well be significant. In his study of meteorites, published in the prestigious journal, Physical Review Letters, Dr. Shaviv found that the meteorites that Earth collected during its passage through the arms of the Milky Way sustained up to 10% more cosmic ray damage than others. That kind of cosmic ray variation, Dr. Shaviv believes, could alter global temperatures by as much as 15% --sufficient to turn the ice ages on or off and evidence of the extent to which cosmic forces influence Earth's climate.

In another study, directly relevant to today's climate controversy, Dr. Shaviv reconstructed the temperature on Earth over the past 550 million years to find that cosmic ray flux variations explain more than two-thirds of Earth's temperature variance, making it the most dominant climate driver over geological time scales. The study also found that an upper limit can be placed on the relative role of CO2 as a climate driver, meaning that a large fraction of the global warming witnessed over the past century could not be due to CO2 -- instead it is attributable to the increased solar activity.

CO2 does play a role in climate, Dr. Shaviv believes, but a secondary role, one too small to preoccupy policymakers. Yet Dr. Shaviv also believes fossil fuels should be controlled, not because of their adverse affects on climate but to curb pollution.

"I am therefore in favour of developing cheap alternatives such as solar power, wind, and of course fusion reactors (converting Deuterium into Helium), which we should have in a few decades, but this is an altogether different issue." His conclusion: "I am quite sure Kyoto is not the right way to go."

Lawrence [email]Solomon@nextcity.com[/email][/quote]

flushingjet

a) it is junk science/emotion-not proven
    b) whats with you and this engraved apology crap all the time
    you only earn respect when youre right, so
    c) no need for any apologies to you until youre right.

as Gob is my witness,
    in 5+ years of reading your bilge that has yet to occur

hows it feel to be so wrong all the time....stupid i bet

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]i don't root for bad news, i am a die hard realist

[IMG]http://www.playfuls.com/bizworld/gimages/GlobalWarming02022.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

And an American Patriot

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan][url]http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=156df7e6-d490-41c9-8b1f-106fef8763c6&k=0[/url][/QUOTE]

:D :D

Solar rays causing global warming?! Is that the best 'science' Exxon's bribe money can come up with?!

:D :D