Thread: "Global Warming Real, Likely to get Worse, Scientists Say" (CNN.com)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

"Global Warming Real, Likely to get Worse, Scientists Say" (CNN.com)

[QUOTE][B][U][SIZE=6]Global warming real, likely to get worse, scientists say[/SIZE][/U][/B]
    POSTED: 11:07 a.m. EST, February 2, 2007 CNN.com

PARIS, France (AP) -- Global warming caused by human activity is real and will continue for hundreds of years, a panel of some of the world's top climate scientists said Friday.

Officially releasing a 21-page report in Paris on the hows and the what of global warming -- though not telling the world what to do about it -- the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change gave a bleak observation of what is happening now and an even more dire prediction for the future.

"Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, as is now evident from observations of increases in global average air and ocean temperatures, widespread melting of snow and ice, and rising global mean sea level," the report said. (Watch as scientists say global warming is real )

The head of the panel, Indian climatologist Rajendra Pachauri, called it a "very impressive document that goes several steps beyond previous research."

A senior U.S. government scientist, Susan Solomon, said as the report was released, "There can be no question that the increase in greenhouse gases are dominated by human activities."

The report said man-made emissions of greenhouse gases can be blamed for these problems: fewer cold days, hotter nights, killer heat waves, floods and heavy rains, devastating droughts, and an increase in hurricane and tropical storm strength (particularly in the Atlantic Ocean). (Watch what happens to our planet when man-made emissions get trapped in the atmosphere )

And if you think it is bad now, the harmful effects during the 21st century "would very likely be larger than those observed during the 20th century," the report said.

The panel predicted temperature rises of 1.1 to 6.4 C (2-11.5 F) by 2100. That was a wider range than in the 2001 report. However, the panel also said its best estimate was for temperature rises of 1.8 to 4 C (3.2-7.1 F).

On sea levels, the report projects rises of 7 to 23 inches (18 to 58 centimeters) by the end of the century. An additional 3.9 to 7.8 inches (10 to 20 centimeters) are possible if recent, surprising melting of polar ice sheets continues. (Watch how rising sea levels could affect San Francisco )

[B]And the report said no matter how much civilization slows or reduces its greenhouse gas emissions, global warming and sea level rise will continue on for centuries.

"This is just not something you can stop. We're just going to have to live with it," co-author Kevin Trenberth, director of climate analysis for the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, said in an interview. "We're creating a different planet. If you were to come up back in 100 years time, we'll have a different climate."[/B]

A colleague from the center, Gerry Miehl, warned that continued global warming could eventually lead to an "ice-free Arctic."

[B]Scientists do worry that world leaders will take that message in the wrong way and throw up their hands, Trenberth said. That would be wrong, he said.[/B] Instead, the scientists urged leaders to reduce emissions and also adapt to a warmer world with wilder weather.

"The point here is to highlight what will happen if we don't do something and what will happen if we do something," co-author Jonathan Overpeck at University of Arizona said. "I can tell if you will decide not to do something the impacts will be much larger than if we do something."

[B]"You make a difference on hundred of years time frame, but this is the future of the planet," Trenberth told The Associated Press. "We have to adapt to it."[/B]

Trenberth said the world is paying more attention to scientists now than in previous warnings in 1990, 1995 and 2001. "The tension is more now," he said.

The head of the U.S. delegation, White House associate science adviser Sharon Hays, called the panel's summary "a significant report. It will be valuable to policy makers."[/QUOTE]

Discuss.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only scientist i trust is baby Jesus and George Bush is his messenger

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]the only scientist i trust is baby Jesus and George Bush is his messenger[/QUOTE]

Ok then.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]the only scientist i trust is baby Jesus [/QUOTE]

And Hollywood coke snorting actors....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]the only scientist i trust is baby Jesus and George Bush is his messenger[/QUOTE]

The infant Christ had better find a boat for himself and his messenger given rising ocean levels. How can we rope Noah into all this?

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Black Death]The infant Christ had better find a boat for himself and his messenger given rising ocean levels. How can we rope Noah into all this?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, with the rate the ocean is rising, we'll all drown in 3,500 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]"This is just not something you can stop. We're just going to have to live with it," co-author Kevin Trenberth, director of climate analysis for the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, said in an interview. "We're creating a different planet. If you were to come up back in 100 years time, we'll have a different climate."[/QUOTE]

Well pardon me, but I think that's just awesome. If global warming is going to help keep up that warm weather we had through December, then consider me someone who's in favor of global warming.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm on lunch, I'm going to go and run my car for the next hour and spray aerosol cans into the air endlessly so I can do my part.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DeanPatsFan]Yeah, with the rate the ocean is rising, we'll all drown in 3,500 years.[/QUOTE]

Don't think so, pal: there are many low-lying places across the globe that are already affected. A rise in temperature of 6 C by 2070? No polar ice caps? This thing has barely got started.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Matt, the minute you know anything about baby Jesus, I might take that comment seriously....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Black Death]The infant Christ had better find a boat for himself and his messenger given rising ocean levels. How can we rope Noah into all this?[/QUOTE]

Can't....there won't be another flood....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Discuss.[/QUOTE]

Not really sure what to say. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is about as rebutable, I think, as it could get. Again, I'm not a science guy and don't believe the exact extent anything science ever says, but I really don't think it is a stretch to think we are "helping" this process along.

Again, I am going to start a thread (hopefully this weekend) on a critique of capitalism. I don't want to hijack any more threads. But when you have an economic system that is based on unlimited growth for it to be successful, but the resources come from a product (the Earth) that is limited, we can't expect anything BUT something like this to happen.

The more diverse our ecosystem is, the better it is for us (as well as all of life). We are destroying ecosystems at an alarming rate so we can build more buildings, farm more land (using our extremely inefficient modern farming techniques), cutting down tropical rainforests, using up aquifers etc.... This really isn't a hard thing to grasp (for me anyway)

We either change the way we think, or the planet will change our thinking for us...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve]Hey Matt, the minute you know anything about baby Jesus, I might take that comment seriously....[/QUOTE]

Steve you are talking to a man with 12 years of christian education under his belt, i'd put my bible knowledge up against any in the forum.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]Steve you are talking to a man with 12 years of christian education under his belt, i'd put my bible knowledge up against any in the forum.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if that comment sounded tright. I guess I come from a different line of thinking. The teachings of Christ (I believe) are some of the most influential we have ever seen. I guess I just don't understand your discontent with the man. I have a feeling it is more to do with religion than it does with him specifically.

It would be interesting to hear your point-of-view on theological matters if you have the background. I guess I just get frustrated with the comments like you made above when you see so many of them from various individuals that really don't have a clue as to what the scriptures have to say about anything.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm reducing my fiber intake as of now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve]Not really sure what to say. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is about as rebutable, I think, as it could get. Again, I'm not a science guy and don't believe the exact extent anything science ever says, but I really don't think it is a stretch to think we are "helping" this process along.

Again, I am going to start a thread (hopefully this weekend) on a critique of capitalism. I don't want to hijack any more threads. But when you have an economic system that is based on unlimited growth for it to be successful, but the resources come from a product (the Earth) that is limited, we can't expect anything BUT something like this to happen.

The more diverse our ecosystem is, the better it is for us (as well as all of life). We are destroying ecosystems at an alarming rate so we can build more buildings, farm more land (using our extremely inefficient modern farming techniques), cutting down tropical rainforests, using up aquifers etc.... This really isn't a hard thing to grasp (for me anyway)

We either change the way we think, or the planet will change our thinking for us...[/QUOTE]

religion and the like aside i find that you're one of the better posters in this forum..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=j-rome]religion and the like aside i find that you're one of the better posters in this forum..[/QUOTE]

Thanks.....I think.

You don't enjoy our rousing intellectual reparties centering around theology? What's with all the God hate here? :D