Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XOM Company Profit about $13,000,000.00 per dead American troop

[QUOTE=parafly]I'm not too sure about that. The entire infrastructure of the country is completely dependent on oil. Mass production, distribution, and distant travel would be completely altered, if at all possible. If we suddenly ran out of oil overnight, it would be the spark of a depression unlike anything we've seen before.

We don't deserve cheap energy? I disagree, in today's modern society, cheap energy is essential. Unless we want to go back to the times of steam powered equipment and wood burning stoves, unaffordable energy if not an option.[/QUOTE]

See, here's the entitlist attitude again. I am not saying in any way that our quality of life would not suffer if oil ran out tomorrow. What I am saying is you don't have a right to cheap oil. We would still survive without oil, albeit much less comfortably. We'd adapt and move on. No one owes us cheap energy.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]See, here's the entitlist attitude again. I am not saying in any way that our quality of life would not suffer if oil ran out tomorrow. What I am saying is you don't have a right to cheap oil. We would still survive without oil, albeit much less comfortably. We'd adapt and move on. No one owes us cheap energy.[/QUOTE]

So this begs the question, should society be able to demand the conservation of an established way of life from the government? Personally, I think that the government has an obligation to protect the quality of life of its citizens.