Thread: QB Jimmy Clausen Signs Letter of Intent with ND...

Jets Insider VIP

QB Jimmy Clausen Signs Letter of Intent with ND...

The nations top prospect (in many people's books), QB Jimmy Clausen (6'3", 200lbs) signed his letter of intent with Notre Dame. Here's a quick blurb from Rivals.com:

Called a “10-year prospect” by many who cover California high school football, Clausen has put up gaudy statistics and won a state championship as a senior. What gets lost with all the talk of leading Notre Dame to the promised land and 60-plus touchdowns in a season, is that Clausen has serious football tools to back up the hype. He has a strong arm, an extremely quick release and razor sharp accuracy. He’s got excellent size and a good frame for a college or pro quarterback. His presence in the pocket and the feel he has for the game are very advanced for a high school player. You combine that with his physical tools and it’s obvious that he’s special.

For any ND fans out there who know, do you think he'll get the chance to start this season as a true freshman or will he be redshirted? From everything I've read, the kid's the real deal.

Veteran
    Going to be another Ron Powlus

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by manmrmoore
    Going to be another Ron Powlus
    You think? Why do you say that? What's your reasoning?

Just want to know.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC
    You think? Why do you say that? What's your reasoning?

Just want to know.
    No reason just hate N.D. plus he was going to "The U" then change his mind. But he will be a good q.b for the Irish

Maybe he is a nice kid, but after his little press junket out last summer during (HOF game I think) to announce, came across wrong with me... Saw a couple of his televised TV games from high school, can make the throws.

All Pro
    The nations top prospect (in many people's books), QB Jimmy Clausen (6'3", 200lbs) signed his letter of intent with Notre Dame. Here's a quick blurb from Rivals.com:

Called a “10-year prospect” by many who cover California high school football, Clausen has put up gaudy statistics and won a state championship as a senior. What gets lost with all the talk of leading Notre Dame to the promised land and 60-plus touchdowns in a season, is that Clausen has serious football tools to back up the hype. He has a strong arm, an extremely quick release and razor sharp accuracy. He’s got excellent size and a good frame for a college or pro quarterback. His presence in the pocket and the feel he has for the game are very advanced for a high school player. You combine that with his physical tools and it’s obvious that he’s special.

For any ND fans out there who know, do you think he'll get the chance to start this season as a true freshman or will he be redshirted? From everything I've read, the kid's the real deal.
    I think he's gonna be redshirted. ND doesn't have a sure thing as far as Running Backs go. Defenses will play the pass. Which brings up another point- ND's wide receivers are gone.

I think Demitrieus Jones gets the starting nod due to his ability to scramble and familiarity with the offense.

I'd like it to be Clausen, but I doubt it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFranchise
    I think he's gonna be redshirted. ND doesn't have a sure thing as far as Running Backs go. Defenses will play the pass. Which brings up another point- ND's wide receivers are gone.

I think Demitrieus Jones gets the starting nod due to his ability to scramble and familiarity with the offense.

I'd like it to be Clausen, but I doubt it.
    Thanks for the info.

This is a transition year for the Irish but I don't know if the administration and boosters would accept that and then put some heat on Weiss. Playing a stud true freshman may be the exciting thing to do to placate the powers that be.

I know Weiss may not think like that but college is different that the NFL and there are a lot of people we never hear about in the college game that has a hell of alot to say about how a program is run.
    Last edited by SMC; 02-07-2007 at 05:47 PM.

I wasn't very impressed by Claussen in the Army US game... the other guy who looked like a white Culpepper was much better.

I am actually surprised no one anywhere criticized him on his holding the ball "on the shelf" like Aaron Rodgers when Rodgers got so much undeserved criticism for it during the draft 2 years ago when it actually helps the release and reduces fumbles.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan
    I wasn't very impressed by Claussen in the Army US game... the other guy who looked like a white Culpepper was much better.

I am actually surprised no one anywhere criticized him on his holding the ball "on the shelf" like Aaron Rodgers when Rodgers got so much undeserved criticism for it during the draft 2 years ago when it actually helps the release and reduces fumbles.
    Dude, Rodgers did that in COLLEGE!!! We're talking about a High School kid.

No one in their right mind would criticize a High School kid on his mechanics because his college QB coach/OC will make him throw the way they want him to throw. Rodgers didn't throw like that in HS. Tedford (his college coach) trained him to throw the ball "on the shelf."

All Pro
    Thanks for the info.

This is a transission year for the Irish but I don't know if the administration and boosters would accept that and then put some heat on Weiss. Playing a stud true freshman may be the exciting thing to do to placate the powers that be.

I know Weiss may not think like that but college is different that the NFL and there are a lot of people we never hear about in the college game that has a hell of alot to say about how a program is run.

I didn't even think of that. As a way to protect his ass, Charlie might just do that. This is a big transition year for them, so fans are going to have to be patient. I think their best chance of winning lies with Jones, who knows the offense well enough to run it.

But if Clausen (whose been at ND since January) has a decent grasp, Weiss may be comfortable to throw him in there.

Dude, Rodgers did that in COLLEGE!!! We're talking about a High School kid.

No one in their right mind would criticize a High School kid on his mechanics because his college QB coach/OC will make him throw the way they want him to throw. Rodgers didn't throw like that in HS. Tedford (his college coach) trained him to throw the ball "on the shelf."
    Exactly. Hence why the criticism against Rodgers for holding the ball like that was complete BS back then... not to mention there's nothing wrong with holding the ball "on the shelf." Rodgers throughout HS and JUCO held the ball the traditional way anyway.

As far as saying Claussen will/should be corrected, he is the youngest of a long line of college and pro QBs. His mechanics are the way they are because that's how he was taught by them to hold it.

All Pro
    Any insight as to why Brian Smith signed with ND? And where did he come from??

Veteran
    So can anybody tell me how Jimmy Clausen is doing at the Almighty Irish

Quote Originally Posted by manmrmoore View Post
    So can anybody tell me how Jimmy Clausen is doing at the Almighty Irish
    Probably not the best Saturday for a Hurricane fan to be making fun of the Irish.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets 2007 View Post
    Probably not the best Saturday for a Hurricane fan to be making fun of the Irish.
    Yeah i know but i just hate N.D that much....Miami look like crap and they need a q.b