Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Will Bernie play for another team????

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934

    Will Bernie play for another team????

    What do you guys think?

    I read he will reject the Minor league offer the Yanks gave him and I'm sure other teams would want him.

    Man that would suck to see him in anything other than pin strips. It would break my heart.

  2. #2
    I honestly have no idea, but I really hope not

  3. #3
    Why are you sure other teams would want him? He can't play any position, he can't pinch run, and he hates pinch hitting and has always been terrible at it.

    As of now, he is a DH against left handed pitching. It was reported in the Post a couple days ago that no other team has offered him a ML contract. If he decides he wants to continue playing, and the only way to do that is to play for another team, then that's his decision. I'd selfishly not like that, but that's Bernie's call. Either way, he'll always be remembered as a great, classy, and clutch Yankee.

    edit: One team that could make sense would be the Mets as he could platoon with Green, but I don't know if the Mets would want to do that.

    Lets also not forget that even though he mashed left handed pitching last year, he has a sub .800 OPS against them in the last 3 years combined.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Why are you sure other teams would want him? He can't play any position, he can't pinch run, and he hates pinch hitting and has always been terrible at it.

    As of now, he is a DH against left handed pitching. It was reported in the Post a couple days ago that no other team has offered him a ML contract. If he decides he wants to continue playing, and the only way to do that is to play for another team, then that's his decision. I'd selfishly not like that, but that's Bernie's call. Either way, he'll always be remembered as a great, classy, and clutch Yankee.

    edit: One team that could make sense would be the Mets as he could platoon with Green, but I don't know if the Mets would want to do that.

    Lets also not forget that even though he mashed left handed pitching last year, he has a sub .800 OPS against them in the last 3 years combined.
    As a Met fan I wouldn't mind Bernie on the team, but I don't think there is any room for him. Minaya is big on Ben Johnson, they signed David Newhan, and Milledge will always be floating around. Doesn't make sense to keep the ab's from one of the younger guys.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    As a Met fan I wouldn't mind Bernie on the team, but I don't think there is any room for him. Minaya is big on Ben Johnson, they signed David Newhan, and Milledge will always be floating around. Doesn't make sense to keep the ab's from one of the younger guys.
    Unless you felt that the younger guys won't get enough playing time at the ML level and it would be more beneficial if they spent the year in AAA.

    To me, Bernie just isn't an everyday player and the fact that he can't do any of the things that you want as a bench player only hurts his value. If he could play 1B, I'd like him as the right handed hitting first baseman for the Yanks, but I think he would be a disaster at that position.a

  6. #6
    Anywhere but the Soxs

  7. #7
    He'll be back in pinstripes by June.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in the 90's
    Posts
    28,425
    The Yanks should just give him a spot. guy still comes up clutch. And still has two home run games.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    As a Met fan I wouldn't mind Bernie on the team, but I don't think there is any room for him. Minaya is big on Ben Johnson, they signed David Newhan, and Milledge will always be floating around. Doesn't make sense to keep the ab's from one of the younger guys.
    I wouldn't mind Bernie on the mets either and I have no problem with him taking time away from Ben Johnson.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Addict SouthFL
    He'll be back in pinstripes by June.
    And why is that?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIIICHAMPS
    The Yanks should just give him a spot. guy still comes up clutch. And still has two home run games.
    And still has two home run games? What does that mean exactly?

    What spot does Bernie have with this team? He doesn't have one. He's not good enough to be an everyday player and he can't hit right handed pitching. He can't pinch run. He can't pinch hit. He can't come in for defense and he is an extremely below average defensive outfielder.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    And still has two home run games? What does that mean exactly?

    What spot does Bernie have with this team? He doesn't have one. He's not good enough to be an everyday player and he can't hit right handed pitching. He can't pinch run. He can't pinch hit. He can't come in for defense and he is an extremely below average defensive outfielder.
    Your probably right on all accounts but I hate to see him go without a proper send off and if he goes to another team.......man that would just suck!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH
    Your probably right on all accounts but I hate to see him go without a proper send off and if he goes to another team.......man that would just suck!
    I've heard this "proper send off" stuff a lot and, quite frankly, I don't understand it. What is a proper send off for Bernie? I thought last year he was getting his proper send off. He was cheered like no other, no matter what he did. He was given great standing ovations at all times. His name was chanted from the RF bleachers whenever he did anything good. I thought he got a fantastic send off last year. I don't know what more can be done. What I do know is that you can't give up a roster spot for a sentimental reasons.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us