Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Mariano wants respect

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mariano wants respect

    TAMPA, Fla. -- Mariano Rivera said Monday he would not hesitate to leave the Yankees as a free agent next winter if they don't show him the "respect" he thinks he deserves.

    The Yankees, in a bold move, appear willing to give their longtime closer the freedom to walk away if he chooses. According to a person familiar with the situation, the Yankees and Rivera's agent, Fernando Cuza, agreed a few months ago to view the start of spring training as a self-imposed deadline to reach an extension -- and the time passed with little dialogue.

    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...orts-headlines

  2. #2
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a very odd story to me, for two reasons: Mariano doesn't seem like the type of player who would make demands like that, and it would be crazy for the Yankees to let him walk away.

    Weird.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,987
    Post Thanks / Like
    haha

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO Mariano has earned whatever he wants.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,249
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjetfan
    IMO Mariano has earned whatever he wants.
    Agreed. He's the best closer in baseball right now.

    I thikn the Yankees may let him walk because of his age and they are grooming some minor leaguer whose supposed to be a great closer right now.

    Not sure though, maybe a Yankee fan can provide more insight.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi
    I thikn the Yankees may let him walk because of his age and they are grooming some minor leaguer whose supposed to be a great closer right now.
    No chance. The Yankees just don't feel the need to re-sign him right now when he's under contract for another year. The Yankees know 2 things. 1. Mariano wants to retire a Yankee. 2. They will be able to give him as much money per year as anyone else would.

    He'll never hit free agency. The Yankees will re-sign him during that window next year. I'd make the deal now, but this is much ado about nothing.

    Mariano is worth more to the Yankees than he is to any other team because of the fan base. It is true that the Yankees are grooming closers, but it would be much better for them to be the setup men for the next couple years, watching the best, before becoming the closer. Also, I'm not sure if any of those guys will end up being more than setup men. Kevin Whelan and Mark Melancon are the two guys that I think have the best chance, and the latter is going to miss all of the 2007 season with TJ surgery.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    §omewhere ¯§afe®©¯™
    Posts
    11,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    That's a very odd story to me, for two reasons: Mariano doesn't seem like the type of player who would make demands like that, and it would be crazy for the Yankees to let him walk away.

    Weird.
    More typical Steinbrenner horse****..he does this to all the loyal long time players..first with Tino..then with Bernie..then with Jeter..then with Pettite..

    This has Steinbrenner **** smell all over it..and Mariano knows how all the previous players who I mentioned above had their contracts negotiated with that POS Steinbrenner.

    Signing Mo should be top priority,it's not even worth taking a chance and pissing him off.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    More typical Steinbrenner horse****..he does this to all the loyal long time players..first with Tino..then with Bernie..then with Jeter..then with Pettite..

    This has Steinbrenner **** smell all over it..and Mariano knows how all the previous players who I mentioned above had their contracts negotiated with that POS Steinbrenner.

    Signing Mo should be top priority,it's not even worth taking a chance and pissing him off.
    You honestly couldn't be more wrong. I don't really know how to respond to this except you are 100% wrong.

    1. Steinbrenner no longer runs the show. It's as clear as day that he doesn't. If one couldn't figure it out last year, then they should have figured it out when Torre came back.

    2. Jeter? They re-signed Jeter to a 10 year/$189M contract when he had 1 year arbitration year left... Yes, they could have done it the prior year (and saved a ton of money), but they chose to wait for 1 year and then paid him enormously well.

    3. Tino? Well, maybe, but it was pretty obvious that Tino was on the decline and Giambi was a huge upgrade. It would have been moronic to re-sign Tino to the 5 year deal he ended up getting with the Cardinals and the Yankees knew that. Sometimes you have to do what is best for the team.

    4. Bernie? Are you kidding me? You are talking about the guy that Steinbrenner gave a 7 year contract to when he as a FA last? We were choosing between Albert Belle and Bernie and Steinbrenner decided he wanted to give the money to his guy. And as for this year, Bernie doesn't have a spot with this team. Cashman, who is in charge, knows this and that is the reason that Bernie doesn't have a ML contract with this team.

    5. Pettitte you are correct about, although it was many in the Yankee organization that were very worried about that left elbow.

    6. As for Mo, Cashman is in charge with this. You've been watching what the Yankees have been doing this offseason, and that is get younger and not give out long term deals. Cashman has already made comments that have indicated that they will get this deal done. This story is a non-story. Mo was obviously unhappy that Bernie is not coming back and made some comments, and people ran away with it. Mariano also made his comments knowing that he isn't getting any younger and knowing that he did have an elbow issue last year. I'm not sure exactly how serious it was, but I do know it must have been pretty serious (without needing surgery) in that Joe made it clear that he wouldn't and couldn't use Mo for more than 1 inning in the playoffs. So Mariano wants the security now.

    If Mo didn't make these comments, would you have even thought about the fact that there isn't an extension on the contract? We have him under contract for another year, so I have no idea what the concern is that we'll lose him. We won't. Cashman wants to focus on 2007 before focusing on 2008, and that is why that deal isn't done yet. He has no need to rush to make a deal. Worst comes to worst Mo plays out this year and the Yankees give him a 2 year/$25M contract (a deal that would make him, by far, the highest annually paid closer in the history of baseball) during the exclusive negotiating period.

    To recap, no, this has absolutely 0% to do with George Steinbrenner. This is completely Cashman's team.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    JeffWeaverFan: To recap, no, this has absolutely 0% to do with George Steinbrenner. This is completely Cashman's team.
    0% This I find very hard to believe...

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    0% This I find very hard to believe...
    Yes, 0%. Steinbrenner is not involved with the Mariano deal at all. It is on Cashman.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    15,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mariano earned a little goodwill by not fleecing the Yanks on his last contract. He left something on the table, and only wants the Yanks to return the gesture. He'd even come in under the market again. In the end they won't be outbid, but they could save some $$ by doing it now.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet
    Mariano earned a little goodwill by not fleecing the Yanks on his last contract. He left something on the table, and only wants the Yanks to return the gesture. He'd even come in under the market again. In the end they won't be outbid, but they could save some $$ by doing it now.
    I thought the last contract was a fair deal on both sides.

    They could also save $$$ if the elbow injury that Mo had last season becomes more serious this year and something happens. Obviously, that would be a nightmare, but it might be worth it for the Yankees to spend some more dollars by waiting if it gives them more time to make sure that Mo will be okay in the long run.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    §omewhere ¯§afe®©¯™
    Posts
    11,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    You honestly couldn't be more wrong. I don't really know how to respond to this except you are 100% wrong.

    1. Steinbrenner no longer runs the show. It's as clear as day that he doesn't. If one couldn't figure it out last year, then they should have figured it out when Torre came back.

    2. Jeter? They re-signed Jeter to a 10 year/$189M contract when he had 1 year arbitration year left... Yes, they could have done it the prior year (and saved a ton of money), but they chose to wait for 1 year and then paid him enormously well.

    3. Tino? Well, maybe, but it was pretty obvious that Tino was on the decline and Giambi was a huge upgrade. It would have been moronic to re-sign Tino to the 5 year deal he ended up getting with the Cardinals and the Yankees knew that. Sometimes you have to do what is best for the team.

    4. Bernie? Are you kidding me? You are talking about the guy that Steinbrenner gave a 7 year contract to when he as a FA last? We were choosing between Albert Belle and Bernie and Steinbrenner decided he wanted to give the money to his guy. And as for this year, Bernie doesn't have a spot with this team. Cashman, who is in charge, knows this and that is the reason that Bernie doesn't have a ML contract with this team.

    5. Pettitte you are correct about, although it was many in the Yankee organization that were very worried about that left elbow.

    6. As for Mo, Cashman is in charge with this. You've been watching what the Yankees have been doing this offseason, and that is get younger and not give out long term deals. Cashman has already made comments that have indicated that they will get this deal done. This story is a non-story. Mo was obviously unhappy that Bernie is not coming back and made some comments, and people ran away with it. Mariano also made his comments knowing that he isn't getting any younger and knowing that he did have an elbow issue last year. I'm not sure exactly how serious it was, but I do know it must have been pretty serious (without needing surgery) in that Joe made it clear that he wouldn't and couldn't use Mo for more than 1 inning in the playoffs. So Mariano wants the security now.

    If Mo didn't make these comments, would you have even thought about the fact that there isn't an extension on the contract? We have him under contract for another year, so I have no idea what the concern is that we'll lose him. We won't. Cashman wants to focus on 2007 before focusing on 2008, and that is why that deal isn't done yet. He has no need to rush to make a deal. Worst comes to worst Mo plays out this year and the Yankees give him a 2 year/$25M contract (a deal that would make him, by far, the highest annually paid closer in the history of baseball) during the exclusive negotiating period.

    To recap, no, this has absolutely 0% to do with George Steinbrenner. This is completely Cashman's team.

    Jeff- put yourself in Rivera's position,or any other loyal longtime Yankee...all of them..starting with Tino(when they gave him **** about his option year)..to Bernie and Jeter and Pettite and even Lieber ..got played along and haggled with...while Heir Steinbrenner unleashes the purse strings for POS's like Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano and Randy Johnson.

    If I'm Rivera I would be pissed off...he's the greatest relief pitcher of all time,hands down..and after everything he's done for the Yankees,he must see the Yankees treat there loyal players like **** when it comes to contract negotiations..and then kiss horrible players asses who suck..and unload big pay days on them..it's all documented..just compare how those long tenured Yankees were treated as compared to a nice pretty free agent.

    That's where his attitude is coming from..no doubt about it.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Yes, 0%. Steinbrenner is not involved with the Mariano deal at all. It is on Cashman.
    Is there a link verifying this?? Even if he is in the background he will probraly have the last or at least some say on this..JMHO

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    Jeff- put yourself in Rivera's position,or any other loyal longtime Yankee...all of them..starting with Tino(when they gave him **** about his option year)..to Bernie and Jeter and Pettite and even Lieber ..got played along and haggled with...while Heir Steinbrenner unleashes the purse strings for POS's like Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano and Randy Johnson.

    If I'm Rivera I would be pissed off...he's the greatest relief pitcher of all time,hands down..and after everything he's done for the Yankees,he must see the Yankees treat there loyal players like **** when it comes to contract negotiations..and then kiss horrible players asses who suck..and unload big pay days on them..it's all documented..just compare how those long tenured Yankees were treated as compared to a nice pretty free agent.

    That's where his attitude is coming from..no doubt about it.
    I still think Mo is worried about his health

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bill parcells
    Jeff- put yourself in Rivera's position,or any other loyal longtime Yankee...all of them..starting with Tino(when they gave him **** about his option year)..to Bernie and Jeter and Pettite and even Lieber ..got played along and haggled with...while Heir Steinbrenner unleashes the purse strings for POS's like Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano and Randy Johnson.

    If I'm Rivera I would be pissed off...he's the greatest relief pitcher of all time,hands down..and after everything he's done for the Yankees,he must see the Yankees treat there loyal players like **** when it comes to contract negotiations..and then kiss horrible players asses who suck..and unload big pay days on them..it's all documented..just compare how those long tenured Yankees were treated as compared to a nice pretty free agent.

    That's where his attitude is coming from..no doubt about it.
    There's a lot of problems with your statement, starting with you continuing to misspell Pettitte's name.

    OK, let me put myself in Rivera's position. Firstly, I am going to quote someone else from a Yankee forum because he will put these words better than i will.

    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.p...&postcount=718

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    I think it's kind of strange that so many people think that the Yankees owe Rivera something, but at the same time overlook the fact Rivera also owes the Yankees.

    It was the Yankees who identified his talent many years ago, and gave him the opportunity to succeed in MLB, when they signed him as an undrafted free agent in 1990.

    It was the Yankees who instructed him in his craft, and developed his talent.

    It was the Yankees who stuck with Rivera when he had major elbow surgery in 1992.

    It was the Yankees who converted Rivera into a reliever after he came up as a starter, thereby enabling him to take his career path to another level.

    It was the Yankees who surrounded him with enough talent to win four World Series championships, and compete for eight or nine more.

    It was the Yankees who made him richer than he probably ever imagined.

    Yet some people keep talking about what Boston could offer him, glossing over the fact that if Rivera accepted that offer, it would be an act of disloyalty to the Yankee organization.

    It's almost as if the last year on a contract doesn't exist. It's there for a reason. The Yankees control his services for one more year, at which time they would be willing to offer him yet another contract at big bucks (if he is still healthy and effective), at which time Rivera should be thrilled to accept it without squeezing out every last dollar from the team that has afforded him the opportunity to have everything he now owns.
    Let me also add that when the Yankees signed Mo to his last contract, they made him the highest paid relief pitcher in baseball.

    I've already discussed those other Yankees. You don't have much of a point with any of those guys.

    Your next statement, about if you were Mo you'd be pissed, makes no sense. The Yankees upgraded positions. The Yankees are not a charity. They aren't going to continue to sign players, and give them one of those 25 man roster spots, for the fun of it. I have no idea what "horrible" players signing contracts with the Yankees has anything to do with anything. If anything, it showed the Yankees that they have to be careful when giving millions of dollars out. Cashman is now in his second year of full control and it is showing. He sees no reason to risk giving Mo a contract extension now, and I understand why he wouldn't. Personally, I'd give him a 2 year/$23M contract extension right now, but I have no problem waiting because all it does is lessen the risk of losing money in case an injury happens. I think, to the Yankees, that is worth spending another million per year on that contract.

    Your statement of, "just compare how those long tenured Yankees were treated as compared to a nice pretty free agent" also makes no sense.

    OK, lets compare. Jeter got a 10 year/$189 million contract. Bernie got a 7 year $100M contract (or around there). Tino was not re-signed in favor of a better player - Giambi. You mention Lieber... Well we declined Lieber's option to give him a 2 year deal. The Mets then gave Benson a 3 year/$24M deal and blew up the market. The Yankees smartly didn't want to give Lieber more than 2 years and the Phillies gave him a 3rd year. (And now, how does that contract look?).

    Cashman is being smart. He is looking for the best player and signing them. He'll sign Mo after the season - the season he is under contract for - unless something drastic happens. It's not a concern. He'll write the check. This is such a non-story, it's not even funny. I can't believe how much publicity it's getting. It's almost funny. Mo is not going anywhere. If Mo hadn't said anything, you, who seems so upset about this, wouldn't have even thought about Mo being a FA after the season. The reason? Because you knew that the Yankees would re-sign him.

    The attitude is coming from Bernie not being (rightfully) re-signed. That attitude doesn't mean anything when, after the season, we re-sign him to, once again, make him the highest paid closer in baseball.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    I still think Mo is worried about his health
    I think it is because of Bernie, but we'll see. If it has to do with his health, then Cashman is being even smarter than I'm giving him credit for for not giving him the extension now.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJet
    Is there a link verifying this?? Even if he is in the background he will probraly have the last or at least some say on this..JMHO
    I could find links, but it is obvious that Cashman has gotten complete control starting last offseason. It's been well documented.

    Steinbrenner could tell them, after Mo's contract is over, to re-sign him at all costs. But he's not getting involved with that now. THE GUY IS UNDER CONTRACT THIS YEAR! Nobody is concerned with him not being on the team in 2008. He's going to retire a Yankee. It's not a concern and the whole story is a non-issue.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us